Windows not detecting Samsung LE32R41B LCD TV - Help?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by bradavon78, Sep 21, 2007.

1. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I have a Toshiba Windows Vista HP laptop connected via it's VGA port to my Samsung LE32R41B LCD TV but it is not working.

When plugged into the TV using a 1m VGA cable that came with a separate monitor it works fine. Windows lets me choose a 1368x768 resolution and the Nvidia drivers detect the TV as made by Samsung.

However when using a cheap 3m VGA cable and a more expensive 5m Belkin Pro Series cable Windows doesn't detect a TV is plugged into the laptop. As it happens 3m wasn't long enough I need about 4.5m.

Looking in the Nvidia drivers it doesn't detect the Samsung TV any more. If I choose "Analogue Source" and set it to 1024x768 (1368x768 is not an option) plus 60Hz refresh rate the TV then detects the signal but only because it happens the TV also supports this.

This is more me forcing it to work than being picked up properly.

I've also discovered if I plug my separate monitor into my laptop using the same 3m cable it's also not detected. I'd have thought this should work, the monitor supports 1440x900. If I use the regular 1m cable that came with the monitor it's fine.

Any ideas why longer lengths than 1m do not work and Windows doesn't recognise the TV any more? Thanks in advance.

2. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
  3. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Up?

45 people have looked but no one is willing to help :(

4. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Anyone?

The laptop has a Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 Graphics card, with the latest version installed (7.15.11.56.16) as shown here:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....FROM=vista&ID=59949&OSID=26&driverLanguage=42

I cannot use the actual Nvidia drivers and have to use Toshiba's Nvidia drivers. I guess they modified the graphics board but used a Nvidia chip. If I try Nvidia drivers they refuse to install with a card not found error.

Here is the cable I have, it's not exactly the same as mine is 5m, is gold plated and has those ferrite cores blocks to help stop interference:

[​IMG]

I cannot find an exact picture.

5. monkeyra

monkeyra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No idea, i'm trying to find a cure to a similar problem with my Toshiba.

No-one is answering because no-one knows the answer at the moment ;)

6. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Interesting. What is your problem?

I know :( . I find it surprising though.

I did think it's because the two cables I bought have 14 pins instead of all 15 pins but have since learnt the extra pin doesn't do anything so isn't needed. I am now thinking the power output from a laptop is so low it cannot cope over long distances.