1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows movie maker II is out

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by TommyVecetti, Aug 5, 2003.

1. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just thought I'd point out for those that have XP, windows movie maker II is available as a free 12 meg download from the windows site, and is far superior to the rubbish movie maker 1. This months camcorder user put it head to head with apples iMovie 3 and movie maker 2 won by 15%.

I put it through it's paces last night with some footage, and really is quite good, considering it's free. Certainly gives packages like VideoWave a run for their money that cost £50 or more.

The most impressive thing however were the amount of really professional looking transitions and titles. The titles being the thing I would probably use it for mainly (since I use Premiere as an editor). It's very user friendly as well, now windows would seem to be a proper rival to the mac with this as part of it's OS.

2. mab25

mab25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does Movie Maker 2 compare with Pinnacle Studio 8 ?

Also, can you burn/encode VCD's and SVCD's in Movie Maker 2.

Thanks,
    Matt.

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You can burn VCDS and I think SVCDS from moviemaker. I've not used Pinacle studio 8. I'd imagine Pinacle studio 8 is much better to be honest, certainly in the editing stakes, You're fairly limited with audio tracks in moviemaker for starters. And you only have one video track. But then it is a free program. It's strengths lie in the simplicity and very pro looking titles and transitions. It's worth downloading if you have XP, but I wouldn't bother upgrading to XP just to get it.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I have been recommending Movie Maker 2 for about 6 months or more and several people on this forum have taken my advise and downloaded it.
    It is very basic, but this also makes it very simple to learn to use. If you think you might want to start video editing on a PC and don't want to spend out too much money to start with then it is ideal. :smashin:

Mark.

5. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Mark, but you can't burn VCDs or SVCDs with it as suggested by the previous post. You will need separate software for that