1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Movie Maker 2 - Any good?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by meles, Jun 7, 2005.

1. meles

meles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to non-linear editing, I have just completed my first project, for which I used Movie Maker 2 (it's free, so why not?). This produced a couple of glitches which have made using it a pain and the final project unacceptable. When I drag a clip to the timeline, it sometimes seems to take a frame or two of the previous clip with it, which then has to be trimmed off. Sometimes, it previews fine, but when I go back to it later, there are the spurious frames. This means I have to be really careful before writing the project back to tape. But worse than this, when I do write to tape, there are occasional audio dropouts at the transition between clips, even though I have applied no effects there, and it previews just fine. Has anyone else encountered these bugs or am I doing something wrong? I am aware that Microsoft products often contain bugs, and a quick look at the Knowledge Base shows that MM2 has its fair share. But I don't have experience of anything else. So the question for those who have used MM2 and other paid-for software is this: Are all editing applications likely to have the same faults, or am I likely to get a much happier editing experience if I go out and buy, say, Pinnacle Studio or Ulead VideoStudio? There is no point my wasting money if they are all the same (and I have read a few horrendous things about Pinnacle in particular). Can somebody with more experience help me please? :lease:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You almost certainly will find all the help you need with MovieMaker at http://www.papajohn.org a site run my an enthusiast for MovieMaker users.

I personally find moviemaker a bit to basic and it's inability to burn a DVD is a bit restricting - my own favourite is Ulead VideoStudio 9 - if you want to try before you buy you can download a one months trial from http://www.ulead.co.uk/vs/runme.htm

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    A lot of the performnce is to do with the setup of your PC. Can you give us the full specs of the PC.
    How much free space do you have on the HDD? Do you have 1 or 2 HDD's?
    Do you have antivirus & screensavers running etc when editing?

Oh I could go on all day with the questions, so I suggest you do a search on here for things such as 'dropped frames' & 'DMA' etc and a load of information will be pulled up on getting the PC running well for NLE.
    Full info and help on the use of Movie Maker 2 can be found at www.papajohn.org and if you only need to get your footage onto VHS etc then I see no reason for buying another editing package as this should do the job fine.

Mark.

4. lonniebach

lonniebach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found win m.m. really good for someone who is starting out in movie editing. Burning software should have come with your dvd rw drive. Don't use a cd. The results are not very good unless the the video is very short. Dvd gives you 4.5gb which is enough for one hours good quality video. My advice is stick with win m.m. untill you know what you are doing, then invest in a good editing burning combination software.

5. 90210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, well maybe I was just lucky! like you i decided to try it as it was free and have had no problems at all. I have made 2 movies which i have burned to dvd and they are of (to me anyway) acceptable quality. I have added titles and music as well. My pc is an old one as well so perhaps I was just lucky?