Windows Mobile App Thread

Reaction score
Theres a thread for Android and nothing for WinMo just wondering what everyones favourites/best WinMo applications are?

Some of the apps I like:

- AE Button Plus - Program each HW button with multiple extra features/macros/apps

- MyMobiler - Remote control your PDA from your PC (similar to VNC). Sounds pointless but actually very useful if you need to do a lot of keyboard & pointer work or just copy/paste to PDA e.g. registry editing, file management or programming a complex satnav route.

- WebCameraPlus - Use PDA as USB/bluetooth/wifi camera & mic on PC for Skype etc.

- Total Commander - Excellent file manager. Also registry editor and FTP client.

- vxUtil - TCP network tools for the geeks among us :hiya:

Last edited:
CorePlayer (see here - it costs $30) is a commonly-used video player application that handles a wide range of codecs and wrappers. There is an older, freeware version called TCPMP.

Myplayer (available on the XDA Developers site) is an app that lets you access BBC iPlayer, and some other online video sites too. Among other things it is able to pretend to be an iPhone and thereby download (but not stream) iPlayer material in iPhone format. This is substantially higher quality than you normally get streaming from iPlayer's mobile site.

Gudensoft Email Scheduler (link is a very simple app which automatocally switches between two different frequency-of-updates states for your email accounts at set times (e.g. update every 30 minutes from 8am till 11pm, then only manually overnight).

Xtrakt and Experiment 13 (available from XDA) are enjoyable 3D games that run well on Qualcomm MSM72xx or Snapdragon hardware.

Resco Explorer is a more powerful alternative to the built-in File Explorer, and has a nice Registry manager plug-in; it's a lot more finger-friendly than Total Commander, but is not free.

Google Maps Mobile is a nice map-and-search tool that hooks into your GPS.

Opera Mobile 10 (currently in beta) is a neat web browser.

Skyfire (link) is a good alternative browser with excellent support for Flash and Silverlight.

I like useful free stuff

Pocketdict - Mine came with an English Encarta and an English Opted dictionary

Pocket Wikipedia

MSS Converter - convert pretty much any unit of value into anything else

I'm still mulling over an HD2 and have a couple of App queries:

Is there are good RSS reader that will sync with Google Reader and allow me to save for offline reading?

Is there a good Ebook reader that will support pdf files?

Is there software that would allow me to playback .m4a audio files?

Cracking idea a separate Software forum for each OS, to kick things off does anyone have any suggestions for a good RSS Reader for my HD2, ideally needs to either sync with Google Reader or accept an OPML file to import my feeds.

There was one in the Marketplace, pretty much the only result if you search for Google Reader but I can't remember the name.

It requires .net 3.5 Compact before you install but worked well when I had a HD2.

Another vote for MyMobiler here. Extremely useful app.

Another absolute cracker for me is:

WebcamXP Mobile - this app allows me to view my Panasonic IP camera over my network or over the internet on my HD2. Been trying to do it via browsers but they all seem to fall over trying to display motion video and only seem capable of screen refresh every few seconds. Love it...

I'm still mulling over an HD2 and have a couple of App queries:

Is there are good RSS reader that will sync with Google Reader and allow me to save for offline reading?

Is there a good Ebook reader that will support pdf files?

Is there software that would allow me to playback .m4a audio files?

The HD2 comes with RSS Hub, works perfectly well why would you want to change it ?

Hey, not sure if i'm late to the party here but just found and installed the most intuitive keyboard which maked this phone a joy to text / email on.

Its called swype....awesome!!

Check out the video here:

Swype comes to HTC HD2 | Geekword

I cant live without this seriously. It makes texting and browsing so much faster. The application is magical. It was quite hard to find it, because the xda dev site linked to some silly 4shared file. :nono:

why is this thread as dead as a do do bird lol

Thanks for the suggestions, but I tried to install swype but can't seem to get it to work on my phone, it says its installed but nothing appears when the keyboard is on the screen, any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks for the suggestions, but I tried to install swype but can't seem to get it to work on my phone, it says its installed but nothing appears when the keyboard is on the screen, any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Have you selected the Swpe keyboard, the default full qwerty will show by default.

I've noticed on videos I've watched that there appears to be an option to select between the different keyboards at the bottom something that looks like a blue line but nothing like that appears on mine, so I've no way of selecting the different keyboards.

I've noticed on videos I've watched that there appears to be an option to select between the different keyboards at the bottom something that looks like a blue line but nothing like that appears on mine, so I've no way of selecting the different keyboards.

you could have possibly downloaded a corrupt or older cab file as there seems to be a few versions flotaing around. This is where I got mine from. Just remove the app and try installing again.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [REF] Official HD2 T9193 (Telstra 850Mhz) Discussion Thread

Good Luck

Thanks for the link, I've uninstalled the other version and installed the one from the link but still no joy. I'm running rom 1.66 on my HD2 which I believe is the latest version so not sure what else I can do, its a shame it looks like a great function to have on the phone too. :(

Thanks for the link, I've uninstalled the other version and installed the one from the link but still no joy. I'm running rom 1.66 on my HD2 which I believe is the latest version so not sure what else I can do, its a shame it looks like a great function to have on the phone too. :(

Hmm not sure what's going on there. I am running on a flashed rom, I doubt that it has got anything to do with the Rom though. Have you tried posting in xda developers forum? I wonder if people at avf are running stock rom and have swype installed too.

A friend of mine has just got a HD2 and asked whether there was a runkeeper style mapping app that will track routes he does on his bike - does anything like that exist yet?

cheers :D I'll pass that along

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom