1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player problem...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Iain Shields, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks,

Hope somebody can help me here... Since building my new computer (using my old hard drive in it) my copy of WMP has begun to have little speed-ups while playing back most types of media e.g. mpeg clips, mp3's etc.

To help you understand the problem (apart from obviously hearing and seeing the speed up's) if you watch the time counter while something is playing you see the counter going 1.....2.....3.4.5.....6.....7.....8.9.10.11.....12... Hope you all get what I'm trying to say here :blush:

I've allready tried uninstalling WMP and downloading the latest version but with the same results, I'll also add that this dosn't happen when I play the same media through Apple Quicktime.

Can anyone help me fix this?

Regards,
    Iain.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    It sounds a bit like a HDD problem. Is the HDD thrashing when the speed up occurs? If so have you tried basic HDD maintenance, e.g. Scandisk, Defrag etc?

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It dosn't thrash when the speed up occurs at all, it's also kept up to date maintenance wise

I'm lost!!!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Windows Media Player relies heavily on Direct X - have you downloaded and installed the latest version? The Direct3D and DirectSound elements are essential. You can get the latest version on most PC magazine coverdisks or download from Microsoft.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The next thing to look at would be your Soundcard drivers. Are you running the latest ones?

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    which is the correct speed ?
    the 1.....2..... or the 3.4.5 ?
    What version of Windows are you on ?

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I had exactly the same problem with my HTPC and WMP9. It was like watching a slide show with about one frame every 3 or 4 seconds then occasionally it would speed up then slow down again. During all of this the sound played perfectly.

I have since rebuilt the PC (other problems) and have not tried since but I expect it to be the same as I have not changed any hardware. This is on a XP2k with a brand new WD240GB HDD 8MB cache.

It stumped me as it only happened when playing HD clips via WMP. Using the VNC player it was fine. :confused:

8. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Rasczak - Not sure weather I'm up to date with Direct X (which means I'm probably not) so I'll do that and see if that's the problem... I'm using the onboard sound on a MSI Nforce 2 mobo, don't know if that might be a problem.

JohnG - The 1.....2.....3..... Imagine watching the time counter seconds going while the clip, mp3 etc. is playing, It's almost like it plays for a 1 or 2 seconds then goes into fast forward for several seconds then back to play over and over again... I'm currently using Windows 98se.

Messiah - Yes mate, it sort of sounds like the same problem except that it does it more frequently (plays fine for 2 seconds at the most then skips then plays fine etc. etc, and lasts for the whole clip or mp3) and the sound also skips...

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try updating Direct X later and see if that fix's it Rasczak... any other idea's on what to try from anybody are most welcome...

Regards,
    Iain.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Found this thread in the nforce forum which relates to speed problems on Win98SE. It might be the same as yours - it's woth reading the whole thread as there's a link to a fix from microsoft on there (q242937.exe)
    nforce forum

10. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just checking back folks to say "problem solved" :clap:

The link to the download JohnG provided did the trick... Thanks alot for doing the searching mate :hiya:

Thanks also to everyone who took the time to answer, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Iain.