Windows Media player issue

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dazzafact, Sep 15, 2007.

1. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have just moved from up in Yorkshire down to Bedford to join my good lady wife after 9 months of me trying to finish our sh!thole of a terrace house to sell. And I now have a problem that is doing my head in (apart from me not being able to leave my dirty duds lying around)!
    All of my music is on my computer, and now it seems to stutter when I play it. It happens every 2nd record for 2 seconds, and it is really confusing me to why it would happen down here and not up north. The only thing in my set up thats different is I'm using a modem instead of a router for my broadband, but I don't think that is the problem.

If anyone has any ideas to why this is happening I would be really grateful as I am considering divorce due to the fact I can't enjoy my music daaaan saaaaarf!

Oh, and it's my wedding anniversary today and I'm spending time posting my severist problems on a forum, I think I'm gonna get divorced anyway.

2. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    If the stuttering is near the end you could try turning on crossfading but set it to 0.0 seconds. My aunt's computer was stuttering in the last 10 seconds of every track and I found out turning on crossfading stopped it.

3. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It has no system to it, it can happen at anytime. I have just tried Realplayer too and it is doing exactly the same. Is this likely to be my modem conflicting somewhere or does southern electric not work as efficiently as it does oooop north?

4. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It is happening with all my media players. This is reallly doing my head in now.:confused: And it is not just my harddrive with all my media stuff on, it is doing it with my main drive too. Any help before I move back up north to where it worked ok??

5. coluigi

coluigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I may be wrong but as a processor can only do one thing at once music needs a buffer, and I imagine all music players use the same low level technology to manipulate the same buffer. Now the stuttering would be caused by not being able to read/write from/to the buffer quick enough.

Obviously location isn't a problem, though if back in your original home it works again it would narrow down the problem to any hardware changes.

It's possible that the new network arrangement is causing the processor to work harder and every now and again their aren't enough CPU cycles for buffering. The easiest way to test is to play music without being on a network. I'm dubious to that being the cause though.

6. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm network free down south, just using a modem dierectly in. This has been installed for a while and I still have the problem whether the hardware is plugged in or not. And I have been down here a couple of times with my computer, and it happens on every occasion, only to remedy itself when I go back up north.

Any other causes possible?:lease:

I am at a loss to the reason why?

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    not sure if its the same problem but i had something similair (it would freeze and stutter towards the end of every song) i have vista and windows media 11 btw.i did a search and came up with these directions

start --> control panel -->classic view-->sound-->double click whatever playback device you use (mine is sigmatel hd codec) -->enhancements tab-->disable all enhancements.

might work and i hope it does but that cured mine.mine was fine at first and then it got an update and went to ****.

8. coluigi

coluigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    If it works in one location and not the other and you're changing no settings whatsoever then there's very little that could be causing it. You want to switch off as much as possible and work backwards. Does media play in safe mode?

(N.B. That was a general question as media may not play in safe mode full stop)