1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player 10 - 'Media Audio' format?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Tipsy, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of buying a NW-HD3 but looked through all my music on my computer today and realised that all my music, which i play through windows media player, is in 'Media audio' format, what does this mean? Does this mean that i can play it on a nw-hd3 or do i have to convert it, or what?

Sorry if this is a silly question, cheers for the help

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    If it's Windows Media Audio (wma) then it should be OK, although I imagine it will have to convert it to atrac3 to play it.

3. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, SonicStage, the software you get with the NW-HD3 players, will automatically convert the WMA files to ATRAC format and then upload them to your player. Most of the tracks on my HD3 (about 5000 I think) were originally WMA files, and they sound fine after the conversion process, but I'm slowly going through and re-ripping these tracks from CD to get the better quality because I'm being fussy.

4. jablakemore

jablakemore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wish I could find it that easy. I have a few downloads from MSN Music Club (more fool me) in WMA format. When I try to put these over to my HD3 player it won't have it. Presumably the licensing restrictions on the music is putting my clampers on this.

Please, is there a solution without having to go through a WMA to MP3 to ATRAC conversion?

5. florist007

florist007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u bought the music from any one but sonys connect music store u wont be able to put it on ur hd3 . ripping cds and **** is sweet though . its best bet .

6. toots

toots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful - the Sony doesn't play wma files - they are converted by SonicStage to ATRAC and then downloaded. If your files have any DRM or encryption (WMP defaults to these and older versions were worse) then you cannot convert them. The only solution is to rerip them all.
    Just sent my NW-HD3 back for this.

7. Akasan

Akasan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Burn them to cd and then rip them from sonic stage