Windows Media Centre DVB-S No signal

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by beaver85, Aug 4, 2013.

1. beaver85

beaver85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Having moved house recently and not being able to receive decent freeview reception( I know...in 2013!!!), i noticed a minidish on the side of the house, quad LNB-great! I bought myself a compro videomate s350 DVB-S dual tuner card and thought it would be easy to plug, tune and play. Not so easy!!! I have been through the setup on windows media centre and it says that there is no signal. The satellite i am trying to receive is Astra 28.2 ( i live in Oxford). I have also tried to manually set it up. I chose Astra 28.2, chose universal LNB ( also tried single oscillator and dual oscillator however am unsure on the oscillator frequency - Low band 9750, high band 10600, transition 11700???)- still no signal. I do not know 100% if the hardware is working however drivers have installed and windows recognises the card and i figured the satellite is working ok. If anyone can aid me it would be great...i have trawled the internet but cannot find an answer.

Thanks in advance

2. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Why are you assuming the dish is correctly aligned and the cable/lnb fully working?

Test it with a receiver to be sure.

3. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,928
    Probably faulty cable/dish not aligned. Is the cable coming into the house from the dish?

4. beaver85

beaver85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply kevkbuk.

The dishes around the area are pointing in the same direction and at the same elevation ( as best as i can tell) and through a compass the direction is about 144 deg which is where the satellite is positioned. What is the range of deg ( 1?, 2?,5?) With the LNB and coax i am not sure. To be honest I do not want to pay money for a receiver but i may have to. should WMC find the satellite automatically or do i need to input the frequencies manually?

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    It's necessary to make sure that the dish is aligned correctly and the best way to do that is to fix a receiver to it.

6. beaver85

beaver85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there are two cables coming into the house. I will swap out the coax as i can get some easily and i suppose buy a cheap receiver. Should i get a satellite finder such as the Konig satfinder?

7. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Could you not borrow a receiver from someone? Or take your PC to a known working dish?

8. beaver85

beaver85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to ask around! However, has anyone had any experience with setting up freesat on WMC? Assuming the dish is aligned correctly would WMC automatically find channels easily or is it best to manually search?

9. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    It should find them all... if the hardware doesn't support bland scan it may be using an old frequency list but you should get lots of channels... the hardware or software isn't setup correctly.

10. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,928
    Try download another program like progdvb and scanning with that

11. beaver85

beaver85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just tried that delvey...no dice unfortunately. I think you are both correct. I will try and re align the dish, then swap out the coax then lnb. Hopefully one will work. Thanks for all the help.