Windows Media Center - 2.35:1 films play zoomed in with no letterboxing.

GaryRW

Established Member
Reaction score
I've set up my HTPC and am pretty happy with it. It's 64bit Win 7, using Media Center and mediabrowser as the front end.

I am starting to rip my dvd collection to the drive. I am using Handbrake to convert to xvid avi's (so they will play on my old xbox running xbmc).

I got to Lord of the rings last night. It's 2.35:1 I think (or maybe 2.39:1??) "super" widescreen. The problem is that Media Center plays it zoomed in - there are no black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I think the width is ok, as everything looks vertically stretched. Using the various zoom options in Media Center makes no difference (actually, it increases the zoom, making it worse!)

Any ideas?? One option is to disable cropping in handbrake, but that seems a very clumsy solution.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

(on the HTPC box I am using Shark 007 codec pack and 1920×1080 display. On my desktop I think it's CCC codec pack and 1680x1050. both do exactly the same thing. It's also the same whether I go through mediabrowser or just ask media center to play direct)

come on chaps - I need your help!

If I can't work out a solution, I'm reduced to my other half's solution - "why not just put the DVD in?"

(oh, & she's right - put the DVD in and it plays properly in Media Center. Media Center doesn't seem able to properly cope though with the cropped super widescreen files that Handbrake is producing.)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom