Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Windows ME CD-ROM boot disc help.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nathan_silly, Jul 15, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a laptop without a floppy drive.. however it has a CD-Writer/DVD-ROM combo drive.

I need to find a CD to boot in pure DOS mode (need to flash the DVD to RPC-1)

The Hard disc is still as FAT32.

Does anyone have a link to download a ISO of a bootable Windows 98/ME CD?

I tried copying the files from the Windows ME bootdisc to a CD, but it doesn't work

Thanks

2. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you need a DOS only boot disk, then go to Bootdisk.com Bootdisk Site This will give you a image you can extract to a floppy or add to a bootable CD project.

You probably wont find many sites with ISO's of Win9x, copywrite etc.

If you need an Iso of a bootable DOS cdrom then give me a shout but its easy to make one in mostly all cdwriting packages.

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what you need to do is download this:
    http://utils.skull-tech.com/bootdisks/bootme.exe

You then have a program that makes a floppy boot disk.

But you need to extract the .ima file from it. And to do this just open the file in winrar, and extract the .ima file, and dont pay any attention to the errors that will come up. Then go into nero or ez cd creator and select to create a bootable cd, and add your .ima file. Then put the contents of your WinMe cd onto the cd, and burn.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the help. Loaded Nero on another PC (with a Windows ME floppy in the drive) created bootable CD.. booted on the laptop with "Start DOS without cd-rom support"

Flashed to the latest official firmware, rebooted, then flashed to the same version of firmware (except hacked)

rebooted, Nero shows firmware has been changed, Drive info "This drive has no region protection"

Phew.. costly mistake if the flash went wrong!