Windows loses connection with Onkyo TX-SR393

daemou

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Onkyo TX-SR393 connected to my Windows 10 PC using HDMI. The picture is forwarded by the amp to my 4k TV using another HDMI cable.

When things work, they work nicely, including 5.1 sound. But about half the time when I awake the PC from sleep or switch the amp from another input to the PC, windows does not see the amplifier (the list of output devices only has the internal speakers). Most typically this happens after using a bluetooth device with the amplifier.

The image passthrough works fine, but previously I also had problems with that - about half the time the image on the TV would be just green and would only be fixed by pulling out and reinserting the HDMI cable. However, that problem luckily seems to have fixed itself.

I have found out that using the "troubleshoot sound problems" option in Windows brings the connection back, but it is rather tedious given how many times per day I change the inputs. I also tried a batch file stopping and starting windows audio services, but didn't find that to work reliably.

Has anyone experienced similar problems, and do you have any solutions?

I have been using an HDMI solution for my Windows10 PC for a few years now. On the whole it works fine. I had a period when the connection was a bit buggy but that turned out to be an HDMI cable....works fine now after cable change. I do not use HDMI for video, as I find it sub standard. I use a 4K monitor, instead I connect via a Display port which in comparison to HDMI is far better. BTW what GPU do you have as that is another possible problem area. If you only need 5.1 you may be able to try an optical cable just to see if you have better stability. My GPU is AMD RX480 which is about 5 years old I guess and it is quite a good 4K GPU. Not used NVidia so cannot comment. Be interested to hear your comments.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try switching around the cables and see if that helps. My TV only supports HDMI and the PC has no optical out. I suppose I could connect the PC directly to the TV and then output the sound from there, but I much prefer switching the source from the amp and that's why I want to use the passthrough (I switch a lot between devices). The GPU is a GeForce GTX 960.

i find with the 646. when booting up the PC all i get is snow till windows gets to the desktop. so cant get into BOIS.

The screen was sized wrong so had to go through the monitor Gamma calibration in windows settings to get it the right size. but then no sound using the built in dolby atmos software. so then had to run sound troubleshooter to get that fixed.

Lots of fiddling around but got it sorted eventualy. took me 3 months to work it out lol. spent about an hr a day trying to fix it before giving up and removing the AVR from the loop.

But will have probs again during windows updates as i wont be able to see the progress or if i have to go into BOIS after doing a PC upgrade to change settings. so have to go through the hassle again of removing the AVR from the loop. then reconecting it again and having to go through all the calibrations again.

But when its working the sound is fantastic. Just a lot of hassle setting it all up to work right.

Hi,

I have an Onkyo TX-SR393 connected to my Windows 10 PC using HDMI. The picture is forwarded by the amp to my 4k TV using another HDMI cable.

When things work, they work nicely, including 5.1 sound. But about half the time when I awake the PC from sleep or switch the amp from another input to the PC, windows does not see the amplifier (the list of output devices only has the internal speakers). Most typically this happens after using a bluetooth device with the amplifier.

The image passthrough works fine, but previously I also had problems with that - about half the time the image on the TV would be just green and would only be fixed by pulling out and reinserting the HDMI cable. However, that problem luckily seems to have fixed itself.

I have found out that using the "troubleshoot sound problems" option in Windows brings the connection back, but it is rather tedious given how many times per day I change the inputs. I also tried a batch file stopping and starting windows audio services, but didn't find that to work reliably.

What worked for me is connecting my PC to HDMI 1 on my Onkyo receiver. I've had an intermittent dropout issue plaguing me for 2 years. Only 2 days ago I decided to try HDMI 1. Sooo happy it worked. Was about to bite the bullet and get a Denon. I had tried HDMI 4, 5 and 6. Maybe HDMI 1 is on a different HDMI controller or circuitry or has a shorter path to the chip? not sure exactly why but it worked. I tried it because I theorized that it might have a better pathway to the chip. Try it if you haven't yet solved the issue.

Connecting one of the video outputs from the gpu straight to the tv & another to the avr usually solves most of the issues when connecting a pc to an avr. In Windows choose extended desktop (if not selected automatically) & select the avr as the primary sound playback device. (Use a display port to hdmi cable if you don’t have 2 hdmi outputs on your gpu).

Hi,

Good Day,
I have the Same receiver of yours, with the same connection.
But ai cannot make the 5.1 work.
All sounds are coming form the front speakers, no matter what speaker settings I set.

Could you please help me to better understand ho to make my computer understand that I have a 5.1 sound system? Thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom