Windows Live Mail.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by springgranddad4, Feb 9, 2014.

1. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Until a few weeks ago I used windows live mail. Then, suddenly, I was unable to access it. I accept that it is part of Windows Live Essentials, but when I try to download that, all I get is a window telling me 'Done! You have the latest version of Windows Essentials'. Trouble is - I don't. or at least I can't find it. So I can't find Windows Live Mail. Anyone got an idea?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    'Unable to access it' is very vague, can you elaborate on the problem?

3. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, Windows Live Mail seems to have completely disappeared from my PC, leaving me no way to view, or send, emails. Still got the same problem with Windows Live Essentials, which doesn't show under 'all programs', so I really don't know where to go next. If I type 'windows live essentials' in the 'search' place, it sends me online to down load, takes a few seconds, then tells me 'done! you have the latest version of windows live essentials'. Am I right in assuming live mail is part of essentials, so if essentials has loaded, I should have live mail?

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    What happens if you click an e-mail address? e.g. [email protected]

If you look in your program files folder (typically C:\Program files) is there anything there that's likely to be Windows Live Mail or Windows Live Essentials?

5. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I use the example you give ([email protected]) I get a Microsoft word untitled message window up. And within a few seconds another window Outlook send/receive progress error message (0*80042109). There is an entry in program files called windows mail, but nothing in it is any use.

6. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi springgrandad4, why not just uninstall the whole program and reinstall it, but make sure that you set it as your default mail provider.

7. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Trouble is sparky, neither windows live essentials nor windows live mail appear in either revo uninstaller or in control panel. The only part of 'essentials' I seem to have is windows movie maker.

8. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi, type Windows Live Mail into the search facility at the start button, that will tell you where it is.

9. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello sparky. I've done as you suggest and all I get is an invitation to go online to down load windows live essentials. Which I've tried a few times and always get the same - as I described before (on the 13th). It doesn't matter if I type 'windows live mail' or ' windows live essentials' in the search box. The result is always the same. The address I'm sent to is a 'Windows' site. I've tried others, including filehippo, but the result is always the same.

10. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  11. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello sparky. I don't appear to have any restore points between 14/2/2014 and 26/6/2011. Which is not much good. However I do have a Macrium system image 28/11/2013 on an external drive. I'm trying to figure the thing out! (Exactly what to do that is).

12. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hello springgranddad4, thats odd? Windows automatically sets a restore point after the monthly updates and just before the installations of these updates? Are you sure that there are no restore points?

13. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello sparky. Yes - positive. There is a restore option on 27/06/2011, another one 9/9/2013, the next one 14/2/2014. And 15 between that one and 18/2/2014. I'm sure I've raised this matter before. It doesn't help, does it?!

14. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    You're on Windows Vista? I thought Microsoft had discontinued Live essentials for Vista, certainly going to the website on my vista system just gives me a message that it's no longer available to download and links to a page saying there's an unpatched security vulnerability in part of Windows Live Essentials.

It isn't in Live Mail specifically so you probably could get it working, but if Microsoft aren't supporting the suite then you'll need to change sooner or later so I'd take the opportunity to look at other e-mail programs.

15. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No EndlessWaves. I have windows 7.

16. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi, did you not upgrade recently to Windows 8, thought that I`d read it in one of your threads somewhere, obviously if so you have reverted back to Windows7. I am just wondering if something has gone astray during the re installation?

17. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No - this PC always been windows 7. I bought 'er indoors a new laptop which has windows 8!

18. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi, well that`s that theory out of the way! Check under 'My Computer' then program files (x86), scroll down and see if you have Live Mail as a file there, should be near the bottom of the list, then click on the file (if there) and see if there are files within that.

19. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All I have there is 'Windows Mail', which I believe went out with vista. There are certainly a few files in there which don't do a lot except one which opens 'contacts'! No sign of windows live mail. I believe that is part of windows live essentials, which there is no trace of either.

20. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi, If I were you then I would use the uninstall program in the control panel and remove anything to do with Live Mail (including Live Essentials) and start again, I am guessing that some of the files are missing for whatever reason and this is causing the problem. Download the Live Essentials program which contains Live Mail.

21. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello sparky. Well, I've been here before! No entry in control panel. No entry in 'Revo uninstaller'. Nothing I could do anything with in 'C', 'program files'. So this morning, in desperation, I type 'windows live mail' in the search box. As before, I get sent to 'go online to download windows live essentials', and, incredibly, instead of responding as it did in my post of Feb 13, 2.38, it took about 5 minutes to load. Success!!! Now, I don't pretend to understand what is going on here. For some reason I can't explain, I suspect something to do with Skype. Once again sparky many thanks.

22. sparky10

sparky10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi, Glad that you have managed to fix it, if that had not have worked then I would have suggested a clean install of Windows you may wish to consider that in the light of your system restore points not working as they should do.

23. springgranddad4

springgranddad4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello sparky. I think you may be right. Some odd things that make no sense sometimes happen with my PC and I've often thought that a reinstall might be the answer. I'll get to it soon!