Windows keeps wiping itself on new system - help!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by p3eps, Feb 7, 2009.

1. p3eps

p3eps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was having problems with my old desktop (and it was a bit old and slow!) so I splashed out a few £'s and bought the guts of a new system.
    I bought a Asus P5N-D motherboard, a Intel Quad Core 2.83Ghz Processor, 2gb Corsair RAM and a 1TB Samsung Hard Drive. I currently have a Geforce 7800GTX which was decent in its day and since I do very little gaming I thought would be fine.

I set it all up and installed my trusty Windows XP Pro (32bit). I then installed all my usual programs, drivers etc. My motherboard kept pausing the boot at startup to tell me that its BIOS should be updated to make full use of my processor - so I used the tools on the disk to update to the latest version from their website. This fixed the problem and recognised my processor's full capacity.

The first day was fine, but yesterday when I booted it just stuck at the Windows loading screen for ages - then rebooted itself. I retried it a few times, but I kept getting a 'missing NTLDR' error. I ran the original Windows disk to do a Repair and realised that the error was from a previous Vista install - and that my C: drive was totally empty!!!!

I booted Windows from the CD again, formatted my C drive and re-installed it. I then installed all the drivers and a few programs - and then went to bed!

When I've got up this morning to continue installing my programs I've turned the computer on and its stuck at the Windows loading screen again.
    After a few minutes it rebooted itself and then just sticks after the post screen with a blank screen.

Again its returned to the NTLDR error from my other install - and my XP install has dissappeared!!!

My 1TB drive is partitioned in 3 bits - but its only the operating system one that clears itself.

I'm guessing I either have a problem with my HD or my Motherboard - but I can't go on having to re-install Windows every time I want to use the computer!!

Any advice please....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. p3eps

p3eps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Quick update...

I've just unplugged both my drives and then plugged the main one into SATA port 2 instead of 1. Now it seems to boot (after running disk check). Perhaps my new motherboard has a dodgy SATA1 port?

3. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,887
    Hi

NTLDR error is to do with the boot sector of the primary hard drive (or the MBR).

You've done the right thing to try and fix the NTDLR error using Windows recovery.

I'm wondering if the size of the primary partition is too large for 32-bit XP. I've forgotten what the max size is though!!

Alan

4. pilot7922

pilot7922
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you could be trying to boot from the wrong disk since you have 2 installed, check out your boot options in the bios.

5. p3eps

p3eps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was right with my second post!!

The NTDLR error was it finding my second HD because it couldn't see my main one. (it had an old vista install on it)

It seems that the SATA1 port on my new motherboard is very flakey and sometimes it doesn't see the disk at all.

I've moved my drives to SATA2 and SATA3, and haven't had any problems since. I'll give it another couple of days testing and then fill out an RMA to return the board for replacement.