• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Windows Home Server any good for streaming to ps3?

L11

After dabbling with various devices to play high definition videos on my TV (xbox 360, wd tv, seperate HTPC, running a very long hdmi cable to my TV from my main pc).. I've decided to stick with the PS3..

With this committmenet I've converted all my MKV's to MP4 using MKV2VOB (which is suprisingly fast, takes no more than 15 minutes per video) and they are sitting on the hard drive of my main pc.

At the moment I'm using PS3 media server to stream the videos to my PC and it works perfectly, but i'd rather not have my PC on as it is in the same room and makes a noticeable sound, so I need something else to stream the files from.

I was going to buy a NAS (pretty much settled on the WD MyBook World 1tb or the Linkstation Live), but then i thought, why don't I just use my old HTPC as a NAS, its a very basic spec (Athlon 64 3200, 768mb ram) but I figure this would be fine for streaming 1080p files right?

So I've been researching Windows Home Server for a little bit and it seems to do everything I want, stream to the ps3 and xbox360, backup files from my pc's, and has various other add-ons (which i will probably never use but hey), and using the remote desktop from my N900 I can control it without a monitor, keyboard or mouse. My old HTPC was tiny (shuttle sized), so I'm thinking of putting it in the basement or under the stairs, that way it'll be silent.

So basically my question is, is anyone using Windows Home Server to stream 1080p files, and does it work well?

Uridium

Distinguished Member
PS3 Media Server works fine on WHS. I ran WHS for a while but to be honest I find I prefer to just run a Win7 machine instead now.

I might still have some unused copies of the 120-day free eval .of WHS if you want a copy?

Last edited:

L11

Ok thanks for the advice, yea i did mean mpg, they all play fine on the ps3 and I can fast forward so whatever format they are they work!

I was thinking of just using windows 7 but I wanted to be able to back up files from a couple of pc's and windows home server seems an easy option. Thanks for the aswell offer but i've got a trial..

Well I just bought a 1TB drive and i'm gonna get installing, thanks!

L11

OK it's all done now and streaming perfectly, I'm just wondering if it would be possible to stream 1080p mpg files over a wireless n network. Eg. ps3 plugged into the router via ethernet, and server connected via wireless N

Uridium

Distinguished Member
OK it's all done now and streaming perfectly, I'm just wondering if it would be possible to stream 1080p mpg files over a wireless n network. Eg. ps3 plugged into the router via ethernet, and server connected via wireless N

you may get away with it. does your N-router have gigabit LAN ports? If so make sure you set the Ps3 to wired 1000mb full duplex.

L11

I haven't bought one yet, i've got a regular old G (with 100mb ports) and thats working, thinking of upgrading to an N so the only thing attached to my server will be the power cable! Worth a try I guess, especially with more and more equipment having N

Totally unrelated aswell, but is anyone using a PSP to control their PS3 using remote play, i'm thinking of buying a faulty psp (broken umd only of course) to use as a remote, thinking it might be useful for playing music when the tv's off..

Also unrelated, can I use more than one audio output at a time on my ps3? I've got it going through HDMI at the moment to my amp but i'm thinking I could use the analog phono outputs as a low cost way of distributing music around my house, all controlled via the psp!

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I haven't bought one yet, i've got a regular old G (with 100mb ports) and thats working, thinking of upgrading to an N so the only thing attached to my server will be the power cable! Worth a try I guess, especially with more and more equipment having N

Totally unrelated aswell, but is anyone using a PSP to control their PS3 using remote play, i'm thinking of buying a faulty psp (broken umd only of course) to use as a remote, thinking it might be useful for playing music when the tv's off..

Also unrelated, can I use more than one audio output at a time on my ps3? I've got it going through HDMI at the moment to my amp but i'm thinking I could use the analog phono outputs as a low cost way of distributing music around my house, all controlled via the psp!

PS3 had dual audio output added in firmware 3.00 ;)

sparkymark75

I use TwonkyMediaServer on WHS and it's been faultless. The reason I like WHS is because it presents multiple HDD as a single storage pool so you don't have to worry about drive letters. I also use it to backup my laptops and PC, which again it does faultlessly.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom