Windows has blown up.....

nix

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Not sure what's gone on, but about 2 weeks ago, iTunes' Library disappeared. I put the music back on and found an old version of the library and added it back in.

About the same time, the computer started telling me that my recycle bins for each drive were corrupted and did I want to empty. I said yes, but it keeps coming up with the same message each time it boots up.

A couple of days ago, it wouldn't let me move files, telling me I didn't have permission to do so. I have administrator access and have gone into explorer and redone my permissions, but still no luck.

Now, after programmes have installed updates, I don't have permission to run these programmes either! I really don't want to do a clean install if I can help it. Any ideas? I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

Download and run Malewarebytes to begin with.

I've got eset smart security. Should I do it anyway?

It's free so you've nothing to lose.

No luck. Scanned all the drives and found nothing.

Any other ideas? I'm sure I'd told windows to create restore points, but of course I haven't....

I'd suggest you run a check for HDD errors - In 'Computer' right click on the HDD and select 'Properties'. On the new window click on the 'Tools' tab and under 'Error-checking' click the 'Check now' button.
Windows will probably need to reboot to run the checks and it could take a while to run. If any errors are detected they may be able to be fixed, but this is only likely to be temp fix as the HDD may well be failing and therefore may need to be replaced.

Mark.

If I remember rightly, if you put your original W7 disks in it gives you a repair windows option.

Thanks for that. Sadly I've already started a clean reinstall using a fresh install image using Acronis True Image. I hope it works. I'm seriously unhappy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom