Windows Firewall.

John Henry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all and happy easter,

I need some help on a problem I am having with my windows firewall, it seem's I can't turn it on and I don't have another firewall software running.

I'm currently on AVG FREE, which I understand doesn't have firewall.

Another problem I have with my PC is, when the my PC is switched on the windows introduction screen is displayed for a long amount of time.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you again for any reply's.

Reference boot time, I'd recommend a clean reinstallation of XP; every PC needs this now and again to get rid of built up rubbish.

I'd also install Zonealarm (free version) as it's a great firewall.

If reinstallation isn't an option, I'd install Zonealarm anyway, run a full virus check and then run adaware to remove any malicious files.

Run a disk cleanup, including removing restore points if you don't use them, which will clear a lot of space.

Finally, run a degraf on the pc, which could take quite some time. Do this last though, so it's not defragging files that should have been deleted.

Hope this helps.

I scanned the pc with AVG and it found 130 threats, I have now checked the windows firewall and it is now on.

Another problem I am currently having involves a message saying windows internet explorer is not responding and needs to shut down, why do I get this and how can I overcome this issue?

Thanks.

Explorer is integrated to the desktop.
i.e. I don't use IE for the 'net but can get that msg popping up occasionally after windows (or some app) has blown a foot off.
Check your event logs for clues.

reboot - the good old three fingered salute to Bill.

Bad news mate: it sounds like your XP installation is well and truly screwed. If something was turning off the firewall I guess you picked up something nasty.

I agree with the post above: back up all your data and do a reinstall. Make sure you install AVG and some anti-spyware (like Defender) before going back on the 'net.

probably your overall level of protection is poor and you keep getting nailed.

lots of threads here on a good balanced set of products to use and tips on good practice/setup.

e.g.
Good (free firewall) good free AV
Firefox
thunderbird.
don't render html mails - use text view
turn off java in browser -
ditto activex

but look through the archives

Windaz out of the box needs a fair amount of set up imv

I'll try to re-install windows today.

This in return will mean downloading AVG or which I haven't used Zonealarm which was mentioned earlier, the AVG I'm currently using doesn't have firewall.

As I wasn't fully protected with avg unless I was doing something wrong what anti-virus software would you recommend?

Thank you for all the help.

I use AVG
Lots of threads here on the pros and cons including a link to some independent tests - I posted one such link, can't recall which thread but search is your friend.

John Henry, download avg and zonealarm before you reinstall windows, and make sure you're not connected to the internet when you reinstall. Install avg and zonealarm before you connect to the internet, otherwise you'll be exposed briefly and that's all it takes.

You should also reformat your disk before you reinstall windows; don't install over the top. Then, when back up and running, run a full av check on the data you backed up.

I scanned the pc with AVG and it found 130 threats, I have now checked the windows firewall and it is now on.

Another problem I am currently having involves a message saying windows internet explorer is not responding and needs to shut down, why do I get this and how can I overcome this issue?

Thanks.

If AVG found 130 hits then something must have been wrong; either these 'hits' were issues on your PC before installing AVG or AVG hasn't been doing it's job by not blocking these things in the first place? Could be that they are just simple tracking cookies and nothing to be too concerned about.

Internet Explorer not responding could be just because it's become bloated with temp files or something more serious such as a virus.

Agreed your best best here is to reinstall Windows having backed up all your data first. Format and fresh install is the best way to go.

The all-in-one internet security packages are pretty good nowadays and in tests consistently give better results than the free offerings. I have used most of the well known ones over time (McAfee, Norton, Zonelabs). Norton was good until I started using Vista and then it all went a bit 'Pete Tong' and it's bit of a system hog. I now use Windows Live OneCare on my Vista PC which is fine but takes an absolute age to do a full virus scan. It has some useful extra tools for backing up data, etc. Currently with 90 day trial period. http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/default.htm
On my laptop which is running Windows XP SP2 I am using Panda Software and despite it being less well known I have not had any issues with it at all. It's quite expensive though.
Zonelabs full security suite (av, firewall, spyware) is only £25 from Amazon. The question I always ask myself is, is it worth juggling umpteen free security programmes when, for the sake of £25, you can have one which does it all in one tidy package?

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice.

Did the re-install but the modem was on all the time, I installed avg before going onto the internet, did a scan nothing was found.

This is probably the third time I've had to format the whole thing, I downloaded the updates from the microsoft site and windows bit defender, hopefully everything should run smoothly. :smashin:

Any more tips would be very much appreciated.

Just like to say thanks again to everyone you helped me with my problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom