Windows File Protection Error - Please Help!

papasmurf85

Standard Member
Hi,

My laptop has been a bit dodgy recently, e.g. programs not running properly, programs not installing properly, so I've been waiting for something like this to come along. I'm getting an error pop up titled 'Windows File Protection' saying:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your now."

I've done some research but can't really find anything on it, only that this is some sort of spyware/malware.

Here's what I've found.

http://www.pcanswers.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=38525&subsectionid=616

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

The micrsoft link seems quite useful but I have no idea how to do what it's saying. Can somebody please help!!

Thanks

tdtm82

Novice Member
Your registry may have been tampered with. I suspect that and or a virus. I recommend download Trend Micro virus scanner or Nod32 and giving the computer a complete sweep. For registry type in registry restore in google and follow instructions. Be very careful with this. Or you could do a computer system restore if you have allocated enough space. Again make sure you have enough vital data backed up onto dvd-cd. You will lose my documents when you do this. Good luck. It's happend to me before.

papasmurf85

Standard Member
Your registry may have been tampered with. I suspect that and or a virus. I recommend download Trend Micro virus scanner or Nod32 and giving the computer a complete sweep. For registry type in registry restore in google and follow instructions. Be very careful with this. Or you could do a computer system restore if you have allocated enough space. Again make sure you have enough vital data backed up onto dvd-cd. You will lose my documents when you do this. Good luck. It's happend to me before.
Thanks for your help, I'm backing up all photos etc as I type this!

I've bloody had it with technology at the moment, this is a problem with my dad's laptop. I've just got off the phone with a PC technician and have found that the hard drive has failed on my laptop! I've lost all of my photos, music, CV, everything!

papasmurf85

Standard Member
Or you could do a computer system restore if you have allocated enough space. Again make sure you have enough vital data backed up onto dvd-cd. You will lose my documents when you do this. Good luck. It's happend to me before.
What do you mean if I have "allocated enough space"? Sorry my knowledge is pretty limited.

Thanks

Beaker

Novice Member
To create restore points you have to have allocated disk space for them. Not something you can do now, think of them as backups on the same drive, only good though if your disk hasn't got pooped

Beaker

papasmurf85

Standard Member

Both Trend Micro and Nod32 seem to browswer based scans only, my browser crashes everytime I try to use them! Both Mozilla and IE. Are there any I can just download to scan the laptop?

Thanks

tdtm82

Novice Member
Both Trend Micro and Nod32 seem to browswer based scans only, my browser crashes everytime I try to use them! Both Mozilla and IE. Are there any I can just download to scan the laptop?

Thanks
Download the trial. In the options there are more advanced ways of searching. Update the product then ask it to do an indepth search. It's the best way.

Reg revert edits are possible.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

This site may help you with your queat. There is a forum.

papasmurf85

Standard Member
Thanks tdtm. Trend micro installation failed. Nod32 is telling me to unistall norton antivirus first. Do I really need to do this? I have no idea where the disk is to reinstall....

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom