Windows explorer weirdness – problems with subfolders on squeezebox.

Well, there may be any number of reasons why the library scan is failing to complete. For example :
  • There's a bug in your version of LMS
  • There's something in your MUSIC library files that LMS can't handle
  • The LMS database may have got corrupted for some reason
  • Some other reason

So, it would be worth trying to determine what's actually happening first. If you open the LMS web page ("http://NAS-A0-BF-EA:9000" in as the address. This should open up Logitech Media Server's Web Interface (after a delay) and then click on the "Settings" button at the bottom right). On the "Basic Settings" tab there is a link underneath "Rescan Media Library" called "View Previous Scan Details". Click on that, and take a snapshot of the screen it displays and post it here.

Ok; here are the snapshots. Please forgive the multiple images; they reflect me scrolling down the screen

1:

jvhz.jpg

2:

6byo.jpg

3:

9id6.jpg

At the bottom of that page are two further links, for "logitech Media Server Log File" and "Scanner Log File". Right click on the file names displayed, and select "Save Target As ..." and save the files to your PC (doesn't matter where, the Downloads library is as good as any folder). I'll PM you my e-mail address, and you can send me an e-mail, attaching those files (scanner.log and server.log), or attach them to a post here. They may give a clue as to why the scan isn't completing.

Ok; that's very kind of you. As much as I appreciate your help; I would feel very guilty if you spent too much time on a Sunday helping me.

I will look at scanner.log and server.log in a moment.

After you've done that, you could try doing a scan of the "Clear library and rescan everything" type (if you haven't done one already) and see if that completes. The normal scan is a "Look for new and changed media files type", which is what I assume you've been doing up to now.

I will try that shortly.

Once again; thank you for your help. :thumbsup:

At the bottom of that page are two further links, for "logitech Media Server Log File" and "Scanner Log File". Right click on the file names displayed, and select "Save Target As ..." and save the files to your PC (doesn't matter where, the Downloads library is as good as any folder). I'll PM you my e-mail address, and you can send me an e-mail, attaching those files (scanner.log and server.log), or attach them to a post here. They may give a clue as to why the scan isn't completing.

Thanks for your pm.

I have just sent you an e-mail with the server file attached.

The scannerfile would not attach to the e-mail. When I opened the file to view it; it was totally blank. :confused:

Again; your help is very much appreciated.

I've had a look at the server.log and it doesn't show any errors. Have a try of the "Clear library and rescan everything" and see if that helps.

I've had a look at the server.log and it doesn't show any errors. Have a try of the "Clear library and rescan everything" and see if that helps.

Thank you. :)

I have been doing the "Clear library and rescan everything" scan for an hour and sixteen minutes so far.

According to the progress bar it is about half way through..

I have never done this scan before. I think the words "clear library" always worried me about what may happen... :blush:

Once again; many thanks.

Ok; well LMS has finally finished scanning!

When I thought it was half way through; more progress bars appeared!

cm6w.jpg

I'm unsure as to what to do now. :confused:

And if I can ask a dumb question. I presume that having LMS scan your library means that it gets rid of deleted files and adds new ones?

If that is the case; why is it that I can find newly ripped titles without having LMS scan the library? :confused:

Ok; well LMS has finally finished scanning!

When I thought it was half way through; more progress bars appeared!

Well that's good news.

I'm unsure as to what to do now. :confused:

And if I can ask a dumb question. I presume that having LMS scan your library means that it gets rid of deleted files and adds new ones?

What you have just done is removed the LMS database of your music, and re-built it from scratch by scanning the music files under "/media/MUSIC/CD RIPS".

What normally happens (when you do a "Look for new and changed media files" scan) is that it just looks for changes to those files (additions, modifications and removals) and just updates it's database with those changes - normally a much quicker operation. It was possible that the LMS database was corrupted in some way - which is why I asked that you do a "Clear library and rescan everything" scan.

None of these operations actually changes the music files, they just update the information that LMS keeps about them (and uses to make them available to your Squeezeboxes).

If that is the case; why is it that I can find newly ripped titles without having LMS scan the library? :confused:

That's interesting - when you say "I can find newly ripped titles ..." above, do you mean you can see and play them on your Squeezeboxes ? That shouldn't be possible without getting LMS to scan the music files to update it's database.

The big question now is "do normal scans complete sucessfully ?" - you'll need to either tel LMS to do a a "Look for new and changed media files" scan, or re-enable the overnight one.

What you have just done is removed the LMS database of your music, and re-built it from scratch by scanning the music files under "/media/MUSIC/CD RIPS".

What normally happens (when you do a "Look for new and changed media files" scan) is that it just looks for changes to those files (additions, modifications and removals) and just updates it's database with those changes - normally a much quicker operation. It was possible that the LMS database was corrupted in some way - which is why I asked that you do a "Clear library and rescan everything" scan.

None of these operations actually changes the music files, they just update the information that LMS keeps about them (and uses to make them available to your Squeezeboxes).

Ok; that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

That's interesting - when you say "I can find newly ripped titles ..." above, do you mean you can see and play them on your Squeezeboxes ? That shouldn't be possible without getting LMS to scan the music files to update it's database.

Yes indeed. I can see them and play them straight away; without any form of rescan. In fact when I rip a disc; I normally play the first few seconds to make sure that it's there and that the artwork displays.

I have done that for as long as I can remember having the squeezebox and just presumed that rescanning the library was just something that I had to do now and again.

The big question now is "do normal scans complete sucessfully ?" - you'll need to either tel LMS to do a a "Look for new and changed media files" scan, or re-enable the overnight one.

Ok; I will start a 'normal scan now.

I have no idea how long that will take though..

Hmmm, that screenshot seems to say that all the required steps are complete, but you're not getting the "The Server has finished scanning your music library" message. I wonder if it's actually finished but just not reported it, it certainly seems to be updating the LMS database OK.

One more thing that would be worth trying. On the "Basic Settings" screen there are a number of checkboxes to the right of each Media Folder. In my installation I only have the "Music" box checked, and not the "Pictures" and "Video" ones. Possibly worth aborting the current scan, unticking the "Pictures" and "Video" checkboxes on yours and re-trying a scan.

If that doesn't work I think I'm going to have to admit defeat - I've not really any more ideas, although if there is an LMS support forum it might be worth asking there.

Hmmm, that screenshot seems to say that all the required steps are complete, but you're not getting the "The Server has finished scanning your music library" message. I wonder if it's actually finished but just not reported it, it certainly seems to be updating the LMS database OK.

Well I left it running overnight and the screen is exactly the same as in my last post i.e. "The Server has finished scanning your music library" message still has not appeared.

No; I don't think the has finished but has not been reported because I'm still getting the "Music Folder is not available while scanning" message when I try to access any music either via my squeezebox touch screen or my Ipad.

One more thing that would be worth trying. On the "Basic Settings" screen there are a number of checkboxes to the right of each Media Folder. In my installation I only have the "Music" box checked, and not the "Pictures" and "Video" ones. Possibly worth aborting the current scan, unticking the "Pictures" and "Video" checkboxes on yours and re-trying a scan.

OK; I'll try that.

If that doesn't work I think I'm going to have to admit defeat - I've not really any more ideas, although if there is an LMS support forum it might be worth asking there.

Thank you for your help. It has been invaluable and the thing I really needed to do i.e. remove the 'music' folder and leave the 'MUSIC' folder has been done. :thumbsup:

At the end of the day; I wonder how important this particular 'problem' really is? :confused:

After all I can still rip my music and access it despite not rescanning LMS. :)

No; I don't think the has finished but has not been reported because I'm still getting the "Music Folder is not available while scanning" message when I try to access any music either via my squeezebox touch screen or my Ipad.

OK; I'll try that.

Well; the rescan with the "Pictures" and "Video" boxes left unchecked is continuing. At least I think it is because the "Music Folder is not available while scanning" message is present when I try to access any music either via my squeezebox touch screen or my Ipad.

That said and despite my earlier comment; I think you might be right about the scan being finished but not reported, because I've noticed that the blue light on the fromt of the NAS is not flickering at all.

The blue light normally flickers rapidly when LMS is being scanned.

All very strange. :confused:

I shall now abort this 'scan' and carry on ripping discs.

Despite this mystery; I'm still much happier than I was when I started this thread :)

I will see if I can find the answer to the scanning question on another forum; perhaps I should bite the bullet and update my version of LMS? I'm not sure how I go about that.

I am incredibly indebted to you for your kind and generous help. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom