1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows error codes (any1now wat this means)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by rooney, Oct 3, 2005.

1. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    ikeep getting this error code message appear there is no set pattern time etc
    just randommly.ive checked me power supply checked me ram/gcard/hard drive bios all my games run fine so do dvds it seems to be more whilst in windows explorer no viruses or spyware either scanned 2day

prob some of u tech guys will no wat it means

driving me mad :(

my system
    thermaltake soprano
    ecs nforce 4 k8
    amd 64 3500
    2gb corsair dual channnel
    2 200gb maxtor sata hard drives
    thermaltake 480 purepower
    thermaltake k8 cpu cooler
    thermaltake hardcano 13 fan/temp controller
    pny 6600 gt gcard

lg dual layer dvd
    hitachi dvd
    1 pci card firewire

even wen under heavy load my system temps are cpu 25/35
    power 25/35
    graphics 35/40
    thats only after a good cple hours gaming

usually everything is 20/30

Attached Files:

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I would firstly blame the ECS mothboard from bad experience for me and most of my friends who have had them in the past, although this may be more re-actionary than based on fact.

A Blue screen of death like that especialy in win xp/2k is very serious and most likly a hardware problem.

I haven't researched into this particular problem, but the advice below are general ones and i have done in the past when i have had a serious problem. Check microsoft knowledge base first as it is actualy quite good and may give you a solution, it is certainly worth a go. Then i would advise trwling google as there is usualy a forum post were someone has already had the problem and gotten a solution (or a work arround).

Normaly I'd firstly I ask if the memory is branded or cheapo generic, as generic memory can cause a lot of problems, but yours is corsair so it should be ok. Is it 2x 1gb sticks or 4x 512? as i have heard that filling all banks can result in problems, thus an easy indicator would be to take one pair out and see what happens.

If the hardware is ok, try firstly getting nvidia driver uninstall program (its a third party app that cleans your comuter of nvidia drivers) and remove all nvidia drivers on your system, then reboot and freashly install the new drivers. I had problems with my nforce 4 motherboard when i installed new nforce drivers over slightly older ones, although it was the network card that was showing the error and it was a well know problem. Although its not shown here its worth a try.

If your hardware is working in temp range and you have checked all cabling, it usualy helps to detach everything and put it back just to be sure. If non of this fixes the problem then a fresh installation of windows usualy cures everything, but it will mean losing all your preferences and stuff unless you can backup, this is a last ditch thing and what most computer shops do as its a quick but very dirty fix.

If non of the above works and you have done a truely clean install, wiped hd and everything then it is very indicative of a hardware fault of some sort, probably memory or HD if it only happens when your in explorer.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    I'd run some hardware diags on your system, starting with Memtest86 for the memory and Prime95 for the CPU, both freeware and easily downloaded.

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It looks like the message I kept getting when I first bought my laptop.

If you are using XP, it could be that one of the user accounts is corrupted. Try deleting all accounts other than the administrator one, and see if that fixes the problem - it did for me.

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    BSOD's (Blue Screen Of Death) are usualy generated through crap code, in most of these cases its drivers. When drivers install they can overwrite various system files with there own versions, can I suggest first that you re-apply the latest and greatest service pack.

If this fails to fix the problem then try looking at the following link: click me!

You may well find the information required here.

If none of this helps you then I would agree that its starting to looks like a bit of hardware is on the way out, so the following would be in order:

Take out all components, DVD drives, sound cards etc that you can and just go back to the mobo (this has the gfx card built into it?), 1 ram chip and power supply. Power this up - ignore all the beeping - and go into the bios. Get this to do some random memory check that will take a while. See if this test continues to the end without the PC locking up. If it does, try a diferent memory chip and repeat.

If these pass then you should be ok with the expensive bits!

Next add in the harddisk. Boot into windows and ignore all the "Device x/y failed to start" messages and just get windows to do something to kill time a bit. Once you are happy that this has run past the estimated time for a BSOD then add in the next piece of hardware - get where we are going with this? If this stage failed then you are looking at either duff code in Windows (could be Windows or driver) or the hard disk. Next stage would be to put in a new hard disk or format (not quick!) and re-install.

Its a long winded process of elimination im afraid. You will narrow it down to one bit of hardware or its driver causing this issue but, im my experience its generaly driver code ... although once i did get it when my Mobo was contacting my case in the wrong place! doh!

Best of luck!

6. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I have come across several instances of BSODs being caused by RAM. So i would go with Gazb's idea first of trying the sticks individually for at least several hours if not a whole day (assuming no BSOD appears) and then swap out.

Just another thought. If you do narrow it down to a particular stick of RAM, go into BIOS and see if you can lower the memory timings (speed) and see if that has any effect wth the dodgy stick installed

7. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Had a look on Microsoft support and found this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=329052

Your best bet is to try the service pack 2 (if you haven't already).
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

Moosh

8. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139

Er Moosh .... isn't it an 8E stop exception? :confused: :)

Re-application of a service pack never harmed anyone though!

So ... infact, narrow my orginal search to come up with to possible options:

Check me for 8E in Win32

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yea it looks like a windows coding problem, so it should hopefuly be an easy fix, fingers crossed.

10. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Doh! :suicide:

Found the following:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._12795dee-19a9-4461-a135-bbb882b81455.xml.asp

Moosh

11. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i am just in the process of reinstalling windows fingers crossed :rolleyes:

12. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Take it one driver at a time and do two or three reboots with each in before applying the next. If you are patient enough, spend 20/30 mins in between each reboot to try to see if you start getting this error again. Once it appears stable, apply the next driver.

Good luck!