• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Windows Easy Transfer from 32 XP to 64 Windows 7

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Evening all,

I am trying to transfer a friends laptop running 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7.

The new pc is complaining that the new the transfer file from the xp machine is not in .mig format (it is a series of dat files). When running it again from the XP machine I do not get the option.

Is there a way to create a recognisable .mig file? Or is there a way to convert the .dat files which I have to a .mig?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

maf1970

Prominent Member
Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

1. have you checked the hardware is 64 bit compatible using the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ?
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

2. assuming it is you cannot do a direct transfer. You will need to take your data off to an external hdd and make sure you have the install files for the software you use. Have you checked to see if there is a 64 bit version of the software you use and if your current code will work with it ?

3. for windows 7 you will need to do a clean install and then reinstall all the packages you use.

MarkE19

MarkE19

USB transfer cable?
If so then I've seen it mentioned several times that the transfer is painfully slow.

I always do a manual transfer so not sure how it all works, so try it and see.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom