Windows Defender scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Has anyone heard of a scam where people are charged for using Windows Defender?

A friend of mine (an idiot) was having some weird pop-ups appear on his PC, as well as other classic spyware behaviour. So I (another idiot) recommended that he download Windows Defender from Microsoft.

Before we go any further - let's not turn this thread into a 'Windows Defender is crap' discussion! I just needed a quick and simple solution for him.

Anyway, he downloads what he thinks is Defender, and it does a scan and finds 100+ items of malware. He goes to remove it and then gets asked to pay money for the removal! like an idiot, he types his credit card details in :suicide:

Has anyone heard of something like this? If nothing else perhaps we can warn other people...

Needless to say I'll probably be spending a few happy ours sorting all this out. :mad:

Remember: Free advice is seldom cheap!

stockyvillage

windows defender is free from microsoft what link did you both follow microsoft only charge for windows one care and they give you a 90 day free trial for that

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
windows defender is free from microsoft what link did you both follow microsoft only charge for windows one care and they give you a 90 day free trial for that
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I know Defender is free, but my mate didn't! I asked him if he had signed up for OneCare but he didn't think so.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
He's been in touch with his credit card company who now know who he paid the 'Defender' fee to. Mind you, he has no clue how he got the the website in question! :oops:

bradavon78

The AntiSpyware part of OneCare is a bit of a con as it's a freed add-in that isnt' even installed by default. You need to download it separately after you've installed OneCare.

MS know very little about security apps, they're oddly so new to the game. I would stay well clear of MS Defender and OneCare.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
MS know very little about security apps, they're oddly so new to the game. I would stay well clear of MS Defender and OneCare.
Lets see who made Windows OS? Microsoft. Who should know their software better than any other person/software company? Microsoft. Who should know better as to where little viruses/malware/spyware/adware hides? Microsoft.

So no Windows Defender isn't crap and Microsoft DO know their security appilcations. Just look at Microsoft Forefront. Don't know what that is? Not surprised. :rolleyes:

Going to close this as it seems as if its now sorted. Lesson learned.!

This is a friend forum, your views are yours and not to be forced on to others. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom