Windows (C) showing red ?

6Antique9

Established Member
Reaction score
Noticed the windows c drive is showing in red with only 11Gb left out of 118Gb. I have moved video and movie files to an external along with photos but that hasn't made much difference. I have also uninstalled a couple of programs a rarely use. Is there anything else I can do.

Regards

I assume that by "moved to external" you have deleted the files that were on C? You then need to Empty the Recycle Bin to actually delete them. You can also run the Disk Clean-up tool (right click on drive and select Properties, then Disk Clean-up button). I would recommend you run a Defrag after that (under Tools tab).

Hi Russ 64 Yes I emptied the recycle bin after checking and making sure everything was where is should be. I will do what you advise, unfortunately I am of an age when technical things frighten me a bit, things like £backup data" "Type this **** and change that" Thanks, see you later
Regards

It is a very small drive and and it's never going to have loads of free space so your requirements may just have outgrown it.

Download Treesize Free.

Run it and it will give an easy view of what is on your drive and what is taking up the space.

Yesterday I had 30Gb today I have 12,5. I haven't down loaded any programs so where has it gone? I have a D drive that is practically empty with 1.80 Tb. If I put some movie files in it will that come from the Windows C drive. Could I even run programs from it? As you have probably gathered I am not computer literate inasmuch I can use one but don't understand them so please be gentle.

1597482812543.png

This is the screen shot

I think you will struggle as long as you have a small drive, I would suggest you take the computer to a local tech and upgrade the drive to a larger one. If you can afford it get a 500GB-1TB SSD

Hi DavidG1 Not sure I understand your advice, I already have 1.80TB drive available why can't I utilise that and I also have 2 external drives I use as storage of files until I need them.

Yesterday I had 30Gb today I have 12,5. I haven't down loaded any programs so where has it gone? I have a D drive that is practically empty with 1.80 Tb. If I put some movie files in it will that come from the Windows C drive. Could I even run programs from it? As you have probably gathered I am not computer literate inasmuch I can use one but don't understand them so please be gentle.

Download Treesize Free.

Run it and it will give an easy view of what is on your drive and what is taking up the space.

As I mentioned above.

Hi DavidG1 Not sure I understand your advice, I already have 1.80TB drive available why can't I utilise that and I also have 2 external drives I use as storage of files until I need them.
It may not be that simple, it may not be just movie files that are taking up space, windows also takes space with user profile files, temporary files, windows update files etc etc. 118GB is probably below the bare minimum we would consider now to store the operating system.
You could use the larger hard drive if you can manage to sort out what is taking up the space on the smaller drive, however as endless says your requirements may have out grown it and you may constantly be having to transfer/delete files from the smaller drive to the larger drive, in order to avoid the disk full message. In this situation it may be better to upgrade to a bigger drive to save messing around once and for all

It may not be that simple, it may not be just movie files that are taking up space, windows also takes space with user profile files, temporary files, windows update files etc etc. 118GB is probably below the bare minimum we would consider now to store the operating system.
You could use the larger hard drive if you can manage to sort out what is taking up the space on the smaller drive, however as endless says your requirements may have out grown it and you may constantly be having to transfer/delete files from the smaller drive to the larger drive, in order to avoid the disk full message. In this situation it may be better to upgrade to a bigger drive to save messing around once and for all

All OP really needs is some assistance in transfering/removing most of the 44 GB of user files & maybe changing the default save locations of some programs. Just a bit of housekeeping, and learning to utilise D: drive properly and he shouldn't really have any issues with C: filling up.

All OP really needs is some assistance in transfering/removing most of the 44 GB of user files & maybe changing the default save locations of some programs.
Agree, so something like this should move most of the OP's data to the D: drive

Mark.

Hey guys, thanks. I love the www,dummies.com. I will have a look at your suggestion about how to change folders because it seems wasteful if I have a hard drive with almost 2 Tb. Wish me luck fellars and stay safe

How many physical drives do you have?
I am just wondering if the main drive was partitioned.

@6Antique9 I think what Trollslayer was trying to establish is whether your C and D are in fact physically separate or partitions in a single physical drive.

Can you do this:
- Press Windows Key
- Type the word partition
- Select the app "Create and format hard disk partitions"
- and screenshot the app when it displays

1597656836285.png

Learning things every day I don't wish to know. A little knowledge in the wrong hands could be a disaster. (Mine are the wrong hands) in case you ask

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom