Windows activation key

dfhansen

Standard Member
Hi All,

I just bought a new computer which came with a copy of Windows 7 Pro pre-installed, but obviously not activated (since i haven't purchased it yet), hence i have the nag screens etc.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether i could purchase an 'upgrade' version and use that activation key, or do i need a complete version?

P.S. If it helps, i had XP on my old computer (prob till have the key knocking around), so in terms of legality, if an upgrade would work, i assume there is no problem with only buying that.

Thanks a lot!

LJx

You will be able to get it to work one way or another without much trouble, but I never really see upgrade versions for cheap prices unless you buy from software4students

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I just bought a new computer which came with a copy of Windows 7 Pro pre-installed, but obviously not activated (since i haven't purchased it yet), hence i have the nag screens etc.
Was your new PC supposed to come with a Windows license? Was it a custom built one? That doesn't sound quite right.

However, to answer your question legally; yes, you should be able to get an upgrade license.

If you, or anyone on your family is in education, then you can get Windows 7 upgrade for £40 from software4students.

spyder viewer

Hi All,

Why don't you just go on line and activate it then? (or have I missed something?).

dfhansen

Standard Member
Sorry - to clarify, i didn't buy Windows with the PC, so don't have an activation key at the moment.

Thanks for the replies, and i'll look into buying an updgrade key!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom