1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 98SE or XP for HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Chipster, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Still at the research stage of a new build here, but I would like to know of any pros and cons of the above OS's in relation to home cinema use.

My experience tells me that my desktop running fully updated 98SE 'runs'...end of story.

On the other hand, my fully Windows updated XP laptop still suffers the odd glitch... just when you dont want it to :mad:

All I need to know is will I be compromising any performance using 98SE as it appears most software/ hardware still supports this OS.

Thanks,

Chipster.

PS: Any recommendations on soundcards with coax out?

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    After getting XP Pro I wouldn't go near 98SE with a bargepole, it's just so unrealiable in comparison !

Hope that's an answer :)

3. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Same here................!

4. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    same as above---- xp pro -------- by a mile

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    xp HOME is all you need. you do not need pro at all.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    .................... Don't agree with that, I'm afraid........... my vote goes to XP Pro too - most hcpc guys I know do a fair bit of tweaking/component swapping.... I wouldn't want to be messing around getting XP Home re-activated every time I wanted to swap sound/graphics/capture cards, upgrade the machine/whatever.....

Sean G.

7. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You may find you start working with huge video files and need the ability to use more than the 4GB limit of Win 98.
    I use HyperOS to give me Win98SE, and 3 versions of XP Pro Corporate (No Activation) on the same PC. Plenty of opportunity to experiment with new h/sware in one system with the ability to wipe it and replace in just a few minutes

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XP Pro (retail) needs activation too ;)

Not that many differences between Home & Pro, certainly none of real benefit to HCPC owners.

Still prefer the cool blue Pro logo though :devil:

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    [Comment removed - Kramer]

You can put the xp pro logo on the xp home edition if you like. it's very simple;)

[Please don't make potentially libelous accusations based on assumptions - Kramer]

10. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So far I've only found one thing lacking form XP Home that is present in Pro: Network access passwords. If you have a media server running XP it's difficult to limit access machine specifically.

11. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, looks like XP then.

A little worried about that but I may go for a Shuttle type PC, in which case not much room for component changes etc anyway.

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There are two differences of note between Pro and Home, only two:

1) networking .. Home can't join a domain
    2) Home doesn't support SMP

The first could conceivably be an issue for an HCPC user with a complex home network (!), the second means that using Home on an HT-enabled P4 won't get the benefit of Hyperthreading.

All activation restrictions apply. When I recently switched from a wired to a wireless lan but my Pro main system and my Home HCPC needed re-activation.

Re-activation is triggered when you change more than a couple of significant bits of hardware, the most significant being the network card and graphics adaptor, others include memory size, hard disk etc. AFAIK things like TV capture cards etc. aren't profiled.

My experience is that I've had to re-activate Pro twice and both times it was automatic, my Home system wouldn't and I had to phone them .. tedious but no problem.

Frankly, unless you're an inveterate tweaker then re-activation isn't a problem.

13. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello,

I use XP pro, and don't have to re-activate after hardware changes. My version is from my university who have an alliance setup with Microsoft for computing students to get free software.

To answer the origonal question, XP is far more stable than 98SE as far as I am concerned.

Cheers

Rob

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have to say, for a true HCPC I think Win98 is fine, as long as your preferred software runs on it .. at least it's a lot cheaper. ;)

That said, I won't argue XP is vastly more stable as anything other than simply a DVD/MP3 player. :)

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,755
    James
    I'm amazed you're not suggesting that he buys XP Home and overclocks it ;) :D
    Sorry couldn't resist that one mate !

16. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143

Not true. WinXP home does supports HT, but it doesnt support SMP. The two are very different. HT sets up a real cpu and a "virtual" cpu - XP home supports that.

http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm?iid=ipp_htm+os&

17. Quantum

Quantum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to but in on this thread but I am about to embark on building a HCPC. I have no experience of XP, only windows 98. Can someone please explain:
    1. What is this activation and re-activation buisness?
    2. Can I have 2 partions on a hard drive, one small one with a clean version of xp for homecinema and another for web browsing and games from one legal copy of xp home? or pro?
    3. Can I create a home network with the xp machine linked by a lan card to a all-in-one type adsl router/wirefree access point, and have this linked to a playstation/xbox by wire and another computer running windows 98 by wirefree connection?
    4. is it worthwhile having a third partition with windows 98 for compatibility with older games/programs and if so are there any issues with doing this?
    Thanks
    Paul

18. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1) Product Activation was designed to combat piracy. When you install XP you have to activate after a period of time to continue using it. Some hardware changes can force you to have to re-activate. (Except Corporate Edition)
    2)Yes and something like this with HyperOS: http://www.gab2001uk.com/images/hyperos.jpg
    3) Yes
    4) Yes, but you have to install 98 first or use HyperOS as above

19. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well when I installed Home on an HT-enabled system the Performance Monitor showed only 1 CPU, when Pro was installed it showed 2.

I know what HT is, and the results I saw seemed bear out the fact that the O/S 'sees' a dual SMP system.

That Intel page doesn't demonstrate Home uses HT to the full extent, it merely says it's 'optimised' .. my experience certainly is that Home does not make full use of HT because to do that requires SMP support.

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can install the O/S twice on to 2 separate partitions and use XP's boot-time menu to select which you want to run.

21. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    NO IT DOES NOT!

I'll say it again, HT and SMP are two totally different things - i've done a little research, i guess you havn't. :thumbsdow If you don't believe me, thats fine. But you'd better believe these people:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/daily_column/article/1532/
    http://forum.nuendo.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/017983.html
    http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm

especially this one:
    http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3048,a=30903,00.asp
    Even xbit says so:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/news168.html

confirmed by both intel AND ms. need any more? I'm guessing you don't know as much about hyper threading as you though.....

22. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't shout, I don't like it. :mad:

And yes, I know full well what HT is, I probably did before you, but that matters not.

Your second and third quotes bears out what I said I saw on my system. The fact that the 'does' is underlined clearly shows I'm not the only one confused by Home's apparent lack of support for HT, and the third quote again clearly shows that initial information indicated Home did NOT support HT.

Since there's no monitoring in Home to detect virtual dual-processor usage, how can one verify it DOES actually work?

23. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i underlined that myself actually. i provide links, and you just brush them off as "well, possibly could be yeah, but i say otherwise".

You're right - people are confused - that why i made my original post, then you just tell me im wrong with:
    ...even though i had already said otherwise. If you had spent not even 5 minutes searching google as i just did, you would have found the same answers. Is that so hard?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xp+home+hyperthreading&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

That'll get you started:)

24. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Where did I state categorically you were wrong????? I reported what I observed .. also running benchmarks on Home and Pro produce different results on the same system .. interesting I think when disabling HT gets same numbers!

25. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    There IS monitoring. Yes, i know you didnt see it - that's because you did something wrong.

If i say HT and SMP are two totally different things, and you then say "my experience certainly is that Home does not make full use of HT because to do that requires SMP support.", what does that say to me? it says i'm wrong, becuase you know better. Even when both intel and MS say otherwise???

Regardless, this isnt worth arguing about. The fact is Home DOES support HT, and that's all there is to it:)

26. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So why are you arguing?

Play nice & make use of the PM function if you feel the need to "argue" further.

:smoke:

27. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i'm just stating the facts kramer, and somebody seems to dissagre with me - even though ive provided all the links you could need on the subject.

Everybody can make their own mind up. i know the facts - hence not worth arguing about. I have no bad intentions and you shouldnt take me that way.