1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 98 content crashes

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PhilipVass, Jul 15, 2004.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i attempt to type in my password to log in to Messgener it lets me insert the first character like this "*" then theirs a long 1 minute pause "....." then it suddenly finishes the password "...*******" with slight jerk, the mouse is also locking up allot and when i try to view a picture with Explorer it also does the same..half loads...long pause and sometimes crashes altogether, any ideas what i should do, is this a problem with my hardware or should i do a reinstall perhaps install Windows 2000 as a better alternative until i can atleast afford a decent PC?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    What sort of error messages are you getting ? What spec is the computer ?
    It would be worth your while running a couple of free spyware checkers ie adaware and spybot to check that there's nothing nasty on your computer - likewise do a virus scan.

Edit
    I've just noticed your thread about the sound card. Is that problem sorted yet as these 2 could well be related !

3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not getting any errors just freezes and crashes, i got a Trojan on my pc a few weeks back and thats with Ad-ware and AVG on it...

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Use this:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Hijack this will check your registry for anything abnormal and list the abnormalaties. You can the decide wether to fix them or not.

I use Adware & Norton and got a trojan. They didnt get rid of it.

Hijackthis did!!!

I have even used this for PC's at work and peeps in my IT dept are gobsmacked at how good it is.

5. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded it...got an error message:

A box saying

["Error Starting Porgram"..."/!\ A Required .DLL file, MSVBVM60.DLL, was not found]
    "[OK]"

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Sorry not being helpful here but upgrade ! Windows 98SE gave me nothing but problems for years then I got XP and they all disappeared :)

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    Not sure if you noticed the edit at the end of my post ?

I've just noticed your thread about the sound card. Is that problem sorted yet as these 2 could well be related !

8. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XP won't run on this computer, but Windows 2000 will, i had M.E which crashed and no longer worked with my modem for broadband.

Also this problem came after no sound, when i installed 98, i had no sound to begin with, would a reinstall help? or could my hard drive be damaged...

also is it worth putting 2000 in until about Novemeber when i can afford a new PC?