Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Windows 98 content crashes

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PhilipVass, Jul 15, 2004.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i attempt to type in my password to log in to Messgener it lets me insert the first character like this "*" then theirs a long 1 minute pause "....." then it suddenly finishes the password "...*******" with slight jerk, the mouse is also locking up allot and when i try to view a picture with Explorer it also does the same..half loads...long pause and sometimes crashes altogether, any ideas what i should do, is this a problem with my hardware or should i do a reinstall perhaps install Windows 2000 as a better alternative until i can atleast afford a decent PC?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,472
    What sort of error messages are you getting ? What spec is the computer ?
    It would be worth your while running a couple of free spyware checkers ie adaware and spybot to check that there's nothing nasty on your computer - likewise do a virus scan.

Edit
    I've just noticed your thread about the sound card. Is that problem sorted yet as these 2 could well be related !

3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not getting any errors just freezes and crashes, i got a Trojan on my pc a few weeks back and thats with Ad-ware and AVG on it...

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Use this:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Hijack this will check your registry for anything abnormal and list the abnormalaties. You can the decide wether to fix them or not.

I use Adware & Norton and got a trojan. They didnt get rid of it.

Hijackthis did!!!

I have even used this for PC's at work and peeps in my IT dept are gobsmacked at how good it is.

5. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded it...got an error message:

A box saying

["Error Starting Porgram"..."/!\ A Required .DLL file, MSVBVM60.DLL, was not found]
    "[OK]"

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Sorry not being helpful here but upgrade ! Windows 98SE gave me nothing but problems for years then I got XP and they all disappeared :)

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,472
    Not sure if you noticed the edit at the end of my post ?

I've just noticed your thread about the sound card. Is that problem sorted yet as these 2 could well be related !

8. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XP won't run on this computer, but Windows 2000 will, i had M.E which crashed and no longer worked with my modem for broadband.

Also this problem came after no sound, when i installed 98, i had no sound to begin with, would a reinstall help? or could my hard drive be damaged...

also is it worth putting 2000 in until about Novemeber when i can afford a new PC?