• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Windows 8 where can I get it cheap?

ocelot20

Hello,

I have decided to buy Windows 8 for my Acer laptop. I was going to get it when it first come out as it was only £50 to upgrade. But I decided not to. Now I want to upgrade and it seems to be really expensive. Anyone know where I can get it cheap. I only need a upgrade edition as my laptop all ready has Windows 7 on it.

There seems to be a load on eBay offering COA keys with download links. Some with thousands of feedback. But they seem a little dodgy to me. Any other places? I see Microsoft store sells for £50 but for Students online :(.

next010

Distinguished Member
You need Windows 8.0 to migrate from Windows 7 keeping all apps/data intact.

Windows 8.1 does not have Windows 7 migrate, dumb I know but it's a standard thing MS does they remove the OS migration from the next retail version of windows. Amazon have a Win 8 pro upgrade for £69 here. The Win 8 pro will upgrade any Win 7 version and then once win 8 is in place you can update to win 8.1 from the built in app store on win 8 for free.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
You could always get someone to slam your head repeatedly with a car door to see if you like the Windows 8 experience first. :D

Windows 9 will likely be out early next year, so you could get in at ground floor of that.

If not, then it'd be a good idea to run the Windows 8 upgrade assistant first to see if there's anything on your system it might have problems with.

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows

You'll probably be fine, but it's worth doing.

Machloop

Hello,

I have decided to buy Windows 8 for my Acer laptop. I was going to get it when it first come out as it was only £50.
Yes you missed out there. It was sold for a bargain price and you are going to be late to the 'learning curve party'. Microsoft appear to be charging £100 now for it but still well worth getting. Do try to put some money aside for 'Win9' [or whatever they call it] and get it on release day, you'll be glad you did.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Microsoft pushed Windows 8 very hard when it was launched. It was initially only £25, but they were giving out £10 off discount codes and free upgrades to the Pro version and Media Centre as well. I got it for about £13 with a little Quidco discount too.

I'm sure they'll do something similar when they launch Windows 9. They need it to be a success.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom