Question Windows 8 update repeatedly fails to configure

mcspongy

Hi. There are two critical Windows updates which my Asus K55V laptop keeps trying to install. But on each occasion when it finishes (or tries to finish) the configuration after the restart it says "Failed to configure" and removes the updates. Ive tried using the Windows upgrade troubleshooter but it didnt appear to help as the configuring is still failing. This has been for about 2-3 weeks now.

I thoughht it might be just lack of space on the SSD but freeing up some space didnt work.

I read that doing a restore might help, but the last restore point was only a day or so ago when i looked, so didn't try to use it as i guess thats not going to help.

Please can someone recommend what steps to take. My daughter is using the laptop frequently now for schoolwork and i'm worried it might not last too much longer if the Windows security is not updated.

Thanks all in advance.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
If this was Win10 I'd suggest (recommend, even) reinstalling the Operating System. In Win10 that is pretty painless and can be done without messing up settings, files and apps.

What I don't recall is whether Win8 is as "good" in that respect. Nor do I know whether you have (or can get) a complete Win8 installation media as source.

mcspongy

Thank you. I just checked and it's just over 7 years since i bought this, so maybe time to replace anyway!

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
One of my three laptops - and the one that had, up to last year, by far the greatest use - daily - was bought in October 2012. With a 2nd gen i5 it was fairly upmarket at the time for an ultrabook although only a small SSD and 4g memory. The SSD has been upgraded, and it has had a replacement lookalike battery but the rest is original. It was shipped with Win7.

It is happily running Win10 (official £15 update to 8, then free updates to 8.1 then 10) and shows no signs of needing binning.

mcspongy

Or maybe should i try to upgrade to Windows 10?

Edit: the laptop is actually on Wibdows 8.1.

mcspongy

I'd definitely prefer to keep this laptop, but know that i need to install a larger SSD.

I replaced the DVD drive the laptop came with (very shortly after purchase) with the original HDD for user files storage, when i put in the SSD, so presume upgrading to Win 10 wont affect anyhting on the HDD? The HDD is configures as the "D Drive" on my laptop. Will i need to reinstall all programs (especially like MS Offic pe stuff) , or does anything transfer?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Totally painless upgrade in my experience.
It should not affect anything but the OS drive (presumably C). And not apps or files/folders etc. Just the OS.

If you are apprehensive (and I was) do this:
1: Download and install Macrium Reflect Free.
2: Create an image of your SSD on a separate drive with enough space.
3: Create WinPE bootable media (comes with Macrium)
4: Update.

If it all goes pear-shaped, boot from WinPE bootable media and restore the image. Back to SQ1.

I suspect you can still do an 8.1 > 10 update for free if you download the iso from here and use that for the install https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Last edited:

mcspongy

Thanks very much again.

Ive got EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro which i used to create the image of the HDD when i installed the SSD, so hopefully that i can use in place of the Macrium?

It seems to only give the option to choose Applications or User Data or both, but the User data is much bigger then the SSD (so must be the HDD) and the Applications size is only part of the storage used on the SSD??

I have 19GB on my 90GB SSD free. Would you recommend upgrading the SSD before/as part of the upgrade, or is that enough space to start with?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I can't comment on that particular EaseUS product since I have never used it.

The important thing (from a safety net POV, only) here is to have a complete image of the entire contents of whichever drive your OS is on (usually C). Any other drives won't be touched by the Win10 upgrade. IF EaseUS will do that for you and (importantly) has a boot option with some sort of OS on it then all well and good. You need a boot option in case the Windows OS gets messed up. I know Macrium will do that as it comes with WinPE (a very pared down portable, bootable version of Windows).

I suspect that the upgrade WILL need more than 19GB free space as it tries to store a revert folder as it proceeds, in case of failure. So, yes, maybe a bigger drive.

In which case I would (in this order)
  • image the existing
  • clone it to the new as-is
  • expand the primary partition to occupy the free space
  • upgrade

mcspongy

Totally painless upgrade in my experience.
It should not affect anything but the OS drive (presumably C). And not apps or files/folders etc. Just the OS.

If you are apprehensive (and I was) do this:
1: Download and install Macrium Reflect Free.
2: Create an image of your SSD on a separate drive with enough space.
3: Create WinPE bootable media (comes with Macrium)
4: Update.

If it all goes pear-shaped, boot from WinPE bootable media and restore the image. Back to SQ1.

I suspect you can still do an 8.1 > 10 update for free if you download the iso from here and use that for the install https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
For step 3. do I select "Windows Boot Menu (Add/change the boot menu for the selected Windows PE version)" or " ISO file (Create new ISO file)"?

Edit: there is a 20GB recovery partition on the SSD (must have cloned it from the HDD), so theres 90GB main partition plus the 20GB recovery.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
For step 3. do I select "Windows Boot Menu (Add/change the boot menu for the selected Windows PE version)" or " ISO file (Create new ISO file)"?
Honestly, I can't remember. But I guess it's the iso. Which you would then burn to a disc, or extract the contents and copy to a bootable USB stick/card.

mcspongy

I've cloned my old SSD to the new one (exactly as it was) but i dont know how to extend the partition now; the 20GB "Restore" partition plus two tiny partitions (one unallocated, the other says GPT (Unused partition)) sit between the spare unallocated partition (the extra space) so i cannot just extend using Windows (or th EaseUS Partition Manager for that matter). How do i expand the C: partition in this scenario please?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing you have worked out that EaseUS Partition Manager will do that for you.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom