Windows 7 Upgrade prices (from Best Buy) leaked

social_lurker

Established Member
Reaction score
Engadget are reporting a leaked a memo from Best Buy stating they will start offering upgrades from Vista to Win7 from 26th June and $49.99 and $99.99 upgrade price points for Vista Premium to Win7Premium and Vista Pro to Win7 Pro respectively.

If it's true, expect to see similar deals from PC World et al soon. It seems to tally quite well with the Snow Leopard upgrade being offered at $29.99

Best Buy memo explains that Vista doesn't work, details Windows 7 upgrade plans

i wonder how much we in the UK will get ripped off for?
vista prices in $$$ just had the $ changed for a £ sign so we paid nearly double, i hope they get it right this time :smashin:

Doesn't sound bad at all, really - lots of Vista users were complaining that they'd effectively be paying again for nothing more than a service pack, but at the price of a single game, you can't really fault MS - it's a very good operating system and as much as I'm surprised to say it; I like it more than XP :thumbsup:

If only they'd bring back the old start menu...

i wonder how much we in the UK will get ripped off for?
vista prices in $$$ just had the $ changed for a £ sign so we paid nearly double, i hope they get it right this time
There's no way we'll be paying that little here in the UK. :thumbsdow

I expect the OEM version to be £99 for Ultimate x64 at minimum.

I'd definately pay that, well if I didn't get it free from MSDN :D.
I get it for free too!

However, why do you think Windows 7 will be cheaper than Vista? Vista Ultimate OEM is currently at least £118.

There is possibily an arguement that the Vista to Windows 7 upgrade should be cheaper than the XP to Vista upgrade (about £60), but I doubt that will happen either.

I get it for free too!

However, why do you think Windows 7 will be cheaper than Vista? Vista Ultimate OEM is currently at least £118.

There is possibily an arguement that the Vista to Windows 7 upgrade should be cheaper than the XP to Vista upgrade (about £60), but I doubt that will happen either.

Price fluctuation. I got my Ultimate OEM for £93. And I did say at minimum.

From PC Pro:
Microsoft has slashed the price of Windows 7 - but Brits are still at an enormous disadvantage compared to US buyers.
The Windows 7 launch will leave British buyers:

* Paying up to 60% more than their US counterparts for pre-order copies of Windows 7

* Unable to upgrade-in-place from earlier versions of Windows

* Forced to install Internet Explorer 8 from a separate disc if they've bought retail copies

[Microsoft] will offer full versions of Windows 7 Home Premium on pre-order for £50 inc VAT, with the Professional version offered at the special price of £100.

However, Microsoft has decided to give UK customers the full version of Windows 7 at upgrade prices until the end of the year. "We couldn't get the [Internet Explorer-less] upgrade version out fast enough," said Brooks. "It was completely unacceptable to disadvantage European customers in any way."

This means Home Premium will initially go on sale for £80, Professional £190 and Ultimate £200.

When Microsoft is ready to release upgrade versions in Europe, those prices will rise to £170, £220 and £230 for the full software.

The 7 Upgrade Matrix was published today. Take a look at it, if you are wondering which upgrades paths are supported/unsupported.

found this

£79.99 for basic with NO internet explorer - brussels - who needs them!!!!:thumbsdow

found this

£79.99 for basic with NO internet explorer - brussels - who needs them!!!!:thumbsdow

I think IE with be on a separate disc, this is to comply with EU anti-trust laws.

Two things I was hoping for were, a price comparable to the US (NOT £ = $!) and just sort the browser thing once and for all (on the setup screen ask which browser you want to install OR better still just install IE, Firefox and Opera and let the user decide)!

Cheers
Moosh

Here are the prices from the BBC website:-

WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE PRICES
Home Premium - £79.99
Professional - £189.99
Ultimate - £199.99

WINDOWS 7 RETAIL PRICES
Home Premium - £149.99
Professional - £219.99
Ultimate - £229.99

it will also be interesting to see the amount of tuners you can use with each package ie prem vs ultm in media center or will they all be the same this time round

Looks like we are being royally fleeced compared with the US again, I`d happily splash $49 for an upgrade, but the usual $=£, even if you pre-order, is a bit much. Thanks to Brussels interference we now have to faf with full installs only (I realise this isn`t MS fault).
Is it possible to install a US version of Windows 7 on a UK machine (with UK vista installed)? Hopefully I can just get a cheap, US upgrade disc posted to me.

Full versions allow you to upgrade or do a clean install. You can still upgrade from the relevant Vista version, but you can also do a full install unlike an Upgrade version.

My understanding was that the EU full version of Windows 7 won`t allow you to upgrade, it`ll be clean install only, to comply with the idiots in Brussels

My understanding was that the EU full version of Windows 7 won`t allow you to upgrade, it`ll be clean install only, to comply with the idiots in Brussels

so you would rather upgrade than do a full clean install of a new os?

nowt wrong with those idiots at brussels, do you use explorer? or have you moved onto a decent browser?:smashin:

so you would rather upgrade than do a full clean install of a new os?

Damn right, I've spent ages getting my laptop how I like it, an upgrade is exactly what I want. A clean install and starting from square 1 again is exactly what I don't want.

Microsoft are saying that Europeans can't have the upgrade version due to the EU rulings, but I'm not so sure that they aren't making an issue out of this just for spite :D

You can do a inplace upgrade from a full version, though, why you would want to is beyond me. :)

Damn right, I've spent ages getting my laptop how I like it, an upgrade is exactly what I want. A clean install and starting from square 1 again is exactly what I don't want.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom