Windows 7 upgrade issues

You can think of it like this - Everyone with utorrent open who has downloaded/is downloading the disk shares it with other people doing the same. So as you download it from some people, others will download it from you.

Thanks for the post fat jez.

The DVD drive I'm installing Windows 7 from is IDE but my hard drives are SATA ! Do I need to install any SATA/RAID drivers for my motherboards SATA/RAID controller during the installation.

I'm not actually running RAID in my system but its just a thought as I had to install drivers on XP (press F6 during install).

I want to have a dual boot system initially to give myself time to collect all the new Windows 7 drivers and get the OS running 100% before removing XP Pro.

Thanks again.

Do you intend for your Windows XP install and 7 Install to be on the same disk? It's easier if they are, as 7 will write some files to the first partition of the first bootable disk it finds.

Have you changed the boot order of your hard disks in the bios? This could also lead to problems if so, as it could be looking for files it needs to boot on the wrong hard disk. i.e. you have a boot order of disk1 and disk2, but 7 has written files to disk2 (ntldr and the like).

If you are only planning on running one OS long term, then I would disconnect your XP disk while installing 7 and make sure the right disk is selected in the boot order in your bios. If you want to boot XP, then you'll need to go back into the bios and change the boot order back. Both disks will still be available when Windows is loaded, regardless of the boot order.

It's worth the wait. If you have any problems, PM me your address and I can post you a dvd of it.

Thanks for the offer.

I'll probably pause the download until I go to bed as I'm only on O2 Broadband Access and O2 have just introduced "Traffic Management" at busy times specifically targeting peer to peer downloads !

I'll let you know how I get on :smashin:

What happens is that when you run the downloaded setup file, it unpacks the content of box1 and box2 into the setup folder that it creates. It doesn't matter if you are on a 32bit or 64bit OS during the unpacking.

Where it all goes wrong is right at the end of the unpacking where as we know it pops up that error message. The reason for this is that the last act of the installer is to auto run the Windows 7 64bit installation program. This is a 64 bit application which of course won't run in a 32bit Windows environment and promptly falls over.

There is another way to clean install Windows 7 64bit with ease, if not speed. Because the installer is a 64bit application, run it from a 64bit Windows OS.

Install Windows 7 64bit RC, run the downloaded setup file. The files unpack, the Windows 7 installer runs and Windows 7 installs without a fuss. :clap:

This install method will only work as long as W7 64bit RC, so an iso file is necessary long term. I know that not everyone has the RC but many will have tried it out and it is bound to be available somewhere.

What a mess and what a poor way to start off with MS's shiny new OS. :suicide:

Okay im now in Windows 7 and its running nicely. I followed the start of this thread and made a bootable .iso file burned it to a dvd but the bugger would not boot at all.

I have no clue what it was even supposed to do tbh as OS i bought was an upgrade. So i just copied the files to my spare HDD and ran it. Went well. I dont under stand what the problems are ppl are having in this thread lol.

Shame MS could'nt have made a better job of the installer.

The man at Microsoft did'nt have a clue what he was talking about - and he was 2nd line support - EEEK.

Burnt it to DVD and installed no problem. All working great.

Hi guys wondered if you can help?

Gone from XP home to Win 7 but when I now boot i get the windows boot manager. How do i get rid of this since i just want win7? When i pick earlier version of windows it won't boot

Thanks
Ossie

Right, took advantage of their student offer and have downloaded the file. However whenever I try to unpack the box I get an unspecified error.

If it is the same error message that others have been getting, then the answers are in this thread, just read through.

Hi guys wondered if you can help?

Gone from XP home to Win 7 but when I now boot i get the windows boot manager. How do i get rid of this since i just want win7? When i pick earlier version of windows it won't boot

Thanks
Ossie

Hi Wiz

Once logged into Windows 7 you need to right click "My Computer" and select properties > Advanced System Settings > (under Advanced tap) goto Startup and Recovery section and settings > Untick "Time to display list of operating systems" and bob's your uncle :thumbsup:

Hi Chaps,

Had the same problem as everyone else, I was hoping to install windows 7 pro 64bit. I am currently using win xp 32bit. My system is compatible. I currently have xp on my c:\ and I have another drive I was going to install windows 7 on. I was hoping to dual boot.

Anyway, so I have been trying to make an iso after downloading and putting that app in system32. I have succeeded a couple of times, but each time I have used a slightly different instruction in the cmd prompt, can somebody confirm which is the correct one?

I also don't have a dvd burner so was hopeing to boot from a mem stick. I think I found a way to do this, has anyone else done this successfully?

I tried last night and despite changing boot order in the bios, it didnt work. This may be because I didnt do the Iso correctly, or the fact my cruzer 8gb seems to still have something stored on it. I formatted it, but when I plug it in, it still starts its proprietry software, I am thinking this could also be a problem.

As a back-up I have been downloading the torrent of Windows 7 64bit pro linked a couple of pages back, however my system crashed twice while downloading it, will this have damaged the file? I could continue downloading when I logged back on. I will still need to install via a memstick.

Thanks for any help
Rossco

Hi Guys,
Common problem it seems. Can anyone help me out with a copy of oscdimg.exe ? It's only 64K but I can't get a decent download rate from anywhere. Been trying hours so far.

Thanks.

Hi Chaps,

Had the same problem as everyone else, I was hoping to install windows 7 pro 64bit. I am currently using win xp 32bit. My system is compatible. I currently have xp on my c:\ and I have another drive I was going to install windows 7 on. I was hoping to dual boot.

Anyway, so I have been trying to make an iso after downloading and putting that app in system32. I have succeeded a couple of times, but each time I have used a slightly different instruction in the cmd prompt, can somebody confirm which is the correct one?

I also don't have a dvd burner so was hopeing to boot from a mem stick. I think I found a way to do this, has anyone else done this successfully?

I tried last night and despite changing boot order in the bios, it didnt work. This may be because I didnt do the Iso correctly, or the fact my cruzer 8gb seems to still have something stored on it. I formatted it, but when I plug it in, it still starts its proprietry software, I am thinking this could also be a problem.

As a back-up I have been downloading the torrent of Windows 7 64bit pro linked a couple of pages back, however my system crashed twice while downloading it, will this have damaged the file? I could continue downloading when I logged back on. I will still need to install via a memstick.

Thanks for any help
Rossco

To get rid of the U3 software, plug the stick in and let it start. Go tothe U3 setup/preferences/config (I can't remember exactly what it is called) by right clicking the U3 tray icon. In there there is an option to remove the U3 software by formatting the stick (normal formatting doesn't work as you found out).

Hi Chaps,

None of the command lines on this thread worked for me. I got this one and it works:

oscdimg -bC:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso

There shouldn't be a space between etfsboot.com but this forum for some reason is putting it in.

I havent read the whole thread but this is the command promt for windows xp 32bit users.

oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

The above cmd presums that oscdimg.exe is on the desktop along with the expandedsetp folder.

Make sure you change the USERNAME to the username of your computer

Using the above cmd you will get an iso which you can burn to a DVD and then boot from.

Right, next problem! :D
Anyone having problems syncing ipod / not recognised? :(

If it is the same error message that others have been getting, then the answers are in this thread, just read through.

It wasn't the same error message. Just kept saying unspecified error. Then the laptop keeps freezing, resulting in nothing opening up. Got a bit silly when I waited 2 hours each time for chrome to open.

Have had to do a factory reset and I will try to install 7 this way.

I've tried everything in this thread, and am getting nowhere except fed up :rolleyes:

How the bl00dy hell can something which should be so easy, be so hard, this is a joke from MS's point of view, I mean really, does it assume everyone is an IT wiz who wants to download and use their OS???

Anyway, rant over, can somebody advise what I should try next, I've had the files in c:/, in my documents, from nowhere can I make an iso.

Its the home premium upgrade 64bit (going from xp32 bit) I've paid for, so I guess if I download the torrent on here, it wont work cause its the professional version :confused:

Just upgraded from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium - came up with an issue that I don't think has been reported here before, but I thought I'd mention it here because if I'd been pre-warned of this it would've saved me some considerable time!

About 21% into the installation, the screen went blank. The monitor was still getting a signal so I let it carry on. Over the next couple of hours it did a few restarts with lots of disc activity, but eventually all went quiet but with the blank screen. With no response to mouse or keyboard stimulus, I pressed on/off, the system restarted as normal but after the Vista loading progress bar, back to black screen (with monitor getting a signal). Thought it might be a problem with the graphics driver (it has told me to uninstall ATI Catalyst update before installing W7), so rebooted into Safe Mode - whereupon it told me that it couldn't complete installation in safe mode! So I rebooted it again, back to the black screen and left it again for a while but soon there was no further disc activity. In desparation, and assuming it was a display issue, I switched the TV (connected via HDMI) on - and there was the W7 desktop asking me to input the product key! For reason unknown at 21% through the installation it switched the TV to be my main monitor!

So, word of warning, before upgrading to W7, disconnect any second monitors or TV's! Microsoft should really tell you that in the booklet, but of course, they don't.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet so I'd just like to confirm which Windows 7 Upgrade version we're all talking about on this thread.

I have downloaded Windows 7 Pro 64bit "upgrade" which was available exclusively to students for £30.

Is this the same upgrade download everybody on this thread is talking about ?

I know different people have downloaded different versions but the problems all seem to be the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom