Windows 7 upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by nickylewis, Oct 22, 2009.

1. nickylewis

nickylewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    64 bit. I started the thread with the initial problem, used this and on win7 now. Working perfectly.

2. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Sorry, but how do I download it ?

If I press download I just get a small Torrent File and thats it !

3. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Utorrent or other torrent program.

4. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    tehpfy, will this bootable disc allow me to format my C drive and install fresh?

5. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Hi Jude,

Did you remove any other hard drives from the system? (disconnecting the IDE/SATA cables would be enough). I've had problems before where I've been installing Windows onto a SATA drive with an IDE drive connected. Windows writes files to the IDE drive (it was finding that drive first when scanning the system) before installing the OS onto the SATA drive. When I then set the boot drive to be the SATA one, I got the Disk Boot Failure error.

Basically, unless you really want to dual boot more than one OS, I would recommend that the only drives you have connected are the hard drive you are installing onto and the DVD drive you are installing from.

6. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Only if you have a full professional license key. If yours is an upgrade key, you'll have to jump through the same hoops as any other upgrade install. You'll still also need to write the ISO image onto a DVD.

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    None of the command lines on this thread worked for me. I got this one and it works:

oscdimg -bC:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso

There shouldn't be a space between etfsboot.com but this forum for some reason is putting it in.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  8. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thank you evilgenius. Currently downloading using uTorrent.

It's currently stating the download will take another 13 hours but if this is the only way I'm going to be able to use my £30 licence is going to be worth it !

9. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks for the post fat jez.

The DVD drive I'm installing Windows 7 from is IDE but my hard drives are SATA ! Do I need to install any SATA/RAID drivers for my motherboards SATA/RAID controller during the installation.

I'm not actually running RAID in my system but its just a thought as I had to install drivers on XP (press F6 during install).

I want to have a dual boot system initially to give myself time to collect all the new Windows 7 drivers and get the OS running 100% before removing XP Pro.

Thanks again.

10. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92

sorry, can you clarify what you meant by "jump through the same hoops as any other upgrade install".

Ive downloaded the DigitalRiver student version, and im a bit confused. Did this whole "make a bootable .Iso" event make a dvd that can boot off a blank hardrive or is it just a DVD that boots?

Cos I have a second hard drive installed and I could have saved myself 2hours running the upgrade from that,which isnt what I want. I want that new format/fresh install feeling lol.

11. nickylewis

nickylewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Using the torrent file is so simple - Just burn the iso to disk, put it in, restart - done.

Glad you've got it downloading.

12. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thank you nickylewis.Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be able to confirm that its worked :smashin:

13. nickylewis

nickylewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's worth the wait. If you have any problems, PM me your address and I can post you a dvd of it.

14. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I'm a bit concerned about this uTorrent program so hopefully someone will be able to put my mind at rest !

I'm currently downloading the Windows 7 Pro torrent but uTorrent is also showing that I've uploaded about 30MB so far !

What on earth is this as I'm only supposed to be downloading ?

15. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    thats the nature of P2P ( peer to peer ) you upload and download at the same time...you are taking the **** right lol.

16. nickylewis

nickylewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can think of it like this - Everyone with utorrent open who has downloaded/is downloading the disk shares it with other people doing the same. So as you download it from some people, others will download it from you.

17. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Do you intend for your Windows XP install and 7 Install to be on the same disk? It's easier if they are, as 7 will write some files to the first partition of the first bootable disk it finds.

Have you changed the boot order of your hard disks in the bios? This could also lead to problems if so, as it could be looking for files it needs to boot on the wrong hard disk. i.e. you have a boot order of disk1 and disk2, but 7 has written files to disk2 (ntldr and the like).

If you are only planning on running one OS long term, then I would disconnect your XP disk while installing 7 and make sure the right disk is selected in the boot order in your bios. If you want to boot XP, then you'll need to go back into the bios and change the boot order back. Both disks will still be available when Windows is loaded, regardless of the boot order.

18. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks for the offer.

I'll probably pause the download until I go to bed as I'm only on O2 Broadband Access and O2 have just introduced "Traffic Management" at busy times specifically targeting peer to peer downloads !

I'll let you know how I get on :smashin:

19. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    What happens is that when you run the downloaded setup file, it unpacks the content of box1 and box2 into the setup folder that it creates. It doesn't matter if you are on a 32bit or 64bit OS during the unpacking.

Where it all goes wrong is right at the end of the unpacking where as we know it pops up that error message. The reason for this is that the last act of the installer is to auto run the Windows 7 64bit installation program. This is a 64 bit application which of course won't run in a 32bit Windows environment and promptly falls over.

There is another way to clean install Windows 7 64bit with ease, if not speed. Because the installer is a 64bit application, run it from a 64bit Windows OS.

Install Windows 7 64bit RC, run the downloaded setup file. The files unpack, the Windows 7 installer runs and Windows 7 installs without a fuss. :clap:

This install method will only work as long as W7 64bit RC, so an iso file is necessary long term. I know that not everyone has the RC but many will have tried it out and it is bound to be available somewhere.

What a mess and what a poor way to start off with MS's shiny new OS. :suicide:

20. evilgenius

evilgenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Okay im now in Windows 7 and its running nicely. I followed the start of this thread and made a bootable .iso file burned it to a dvd but the bugger would not boot at all.

I have no clue what it was even supposed to do tbh as OS i bought was an upgrade. So i just copied the files to my spare HDD and ran it. Went well. I dont under stand what the problems are ppl are having in this thread lol.

21. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Shame MS could'nt have made a better job of the installer.

The man at Microsoft did'nt have a clue what he was talking about - and he was 2nd line support - EEEK.

Burnt it to DVD and installed no problem. All working great.

22. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,729
    Hi guys wondered if you can help?

Gone from XP home to Win 7 but when I now boot i get the windows boot manager. How do i get rid of this since i just want win7? When i pick earlier version of windows it won't boot

Thanks
    Ossie

23. Idioteque

Idioteque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Right, took advantage of their student offer and have downloaded the file. However whenever I try to unpack the box I get an unspecified error.

24. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If it is the same error message that others have been getting, then the answers are in this thread, just read through.

25. EmotionalTrout

EmotionalTrout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Wiz

Once logged into Windows 7 you need to right click "My Computer" and select properties > Advanced System Settings > (under Advanced tap) goto Startup and Recovery section and settings > Untick "Time to display list of operating systems" and bob's your uncle :thumbsup:

26. rosscouk

rosscouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi Chaps,

Had the same problem as everyone else, I was hoping to install windows 7 pro 64bit. I am currently using win xp 32bit. My system is compatible. I currently have xp on my c:\ and I have another drive I was going to install windows 7 on. I was hoping to dual boot.

Anyway, so I have been trying to make an iso after downloading and putting that app in system32. I have succeeded a couple of times, but each time I have used a slightly different instruction in the cmd prompt, can somebody confirm which is the correct one?

I also don't have a dvd burner so was hopeing to boot from a mem stick. I think I found a way to do this, has anyone else done this successfully?

I tried last night and despite changing boot order in the bios, it didnt work. This may be because I didnt do the Iso correctly, or the fact my cruzer 8gb seems to still have something stored on it. I formatted it, but when I plug it in, it still starts its proprietry software, I am thinking this could also be a problem.

As a back-up I have been downloading the torrent of Windows 7 64bit pro linked a couple of pages back, however my system crashed twice while downloading it, will this have damaged the file? I could continue downloading when I logged back on. I will still need to install via a memstick.

Thanks for any help
    Rossco

27. dunk05

dunk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys,
    Common problem it seems. Can anyone help me out with a copy of oscdimg.exe ? It's only 64K but I can't get a decent download rate from anywhere. Been trying hours so far.

Thanks.

28. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    To get rid of the U3 software, plug the stick in and let it start. Go tothe U3 setup/preferences/config (I can't remember exactly what it is called) by right clicking the U3 tray icon. In there there is an option to remove the U3 software by formatting the stick (normal formatting doesn't work as you found out).

29. EmotionalTrout

EmotionalTrout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Here mate.

Stuck it on my megaupload account for you. Password: avforums

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1NYS8QKL

30. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    None of the command lines on this thread worked for me. I got this one and it works:

oscdimg -bC:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso

There shouldn't be a space between etfsboot.com but this forum for some reason is putting it in.