Windows 7 upgrade issues

luke90

Novice Member
Right ive made an ISO file. Its now in my documents. How do i get it onto a dvd? What have you guys used?

Also i had the error in unpacking the files earlier that everyone seems to be having but i just carried on and used what it had unpacked. Will this cause me problems?

Thanks

judethedude

Well, I only tried to install drivers, but it was unsuccessful.

However, now I cannot boot from either of the copies of the disks I have made which is weird. Particularly as nothing has loaded at that stage so what is telling it not to boot ?
Ok, I used MagicISO to burn another disk and I now have a bootable DVD.

However, Windows 7 now installs but as soon as it restarts during the install my system boots to my old OS (on a different drive) and thats it.

So now I'm getting half way there and no further !

DazzaSammy

Novice Member
So are both Operating Systems installed, Windows 7 and the other. Get Easy Bcd to fix the Boot order to allow you to dual boot. Run it on the OS that works. Failing that use the windows 7 disc to try and repair the boot order. What is on the other HDD. ?

Last edited:

bagatanmd

is it possible to use my upgrade license if i use a retail copy of win 7 pro instead of the upgrade disc?

evilgenius

Novice Member
Make sure you've got oscdimg.exe in your System32 folder, then open a command prompt (as Administrator if using Vista) and paste:

Oscdimg.exe -m -h -n –b"C:\Users\your_username\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h "C:\Users\your_username\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\Win7.iso

Adjust the paths for etfsboot.com and the expandedSteup folder if you need to. I've managed to make and burn an iso using this but not had time to install yet.

Chimp
Guys my 3 setup files including the expandedSetup folder is moved to D:\Windows 7 as I was preparing my C: for Windows 7.

What should my cmd line switch look like?

EDIT

okay im trying this:
Oscdimg.exe -m -h -n –b"D:\Windows7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h "D:\Windows7\expandedSetup" D:\Win7.iso

but at the cmd prompt all i get is :

OSCDIMG 2.54 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.
Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

Usage: OSCDIMG [options] sourceroot targetfile

For option information, use -help with one of the following categories
ISO Options for the ISO 9660 file system
Joliet Options for the Joliet file system
UDF Options for the UDF file system
Boot Options for bootable CDs
Optimize Options for optimization
Order Options for ordering the files
DVD Options for DVD video and audio
Mesg Options for displaying warnings and messages
Other Options that do not fit in any other category

Last edited:

judethedude

So are both Operating Systems installed, Windows 7 and the other. Get Easy Bcd to fix the Boot order to allow you to dual boot. Run it on the OS that works. Failing that use the windows 7 disc to try and repair the boot order. What is on the other HDD. ?
No, Windows 7 will not install. I changed the boot priority in BIOS to the dempty drive that I wanted to install Windows 7 on to. I then booted the PC and installed Windows 7 from the DVD but as soon as Windows 7 reboots for the first time I get :

Boot From CD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK + PRESS ENTER

Obviuosuly, the install does not complete after this message !

drummerjohn

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!

I have just spent 55 minutes on the phone to Microsoft because of this and they tell me I have to ring a premium rate number for Digital River as they supplied it.

Needless to say I went off on one and hung up.

nickylewis

RIGHT...here is the solution to everyones problem:

Windows 7 Professional iso

This is the iso of the windows 7 professional disk (en-us) - i.e. same as UK disk.

Burn it, and its what we all expected we would get.

Im on it currently, used my student key and its passed genuine authentication.

Forget the student download, and get downloading that.

judethedude

RIGHT...here is the solution to everyones problem:

Windows 7 Professional iso

This is the iso of the windows 7 professional disk (en-us) - i.e. same as UK disk.

Burn it, and its what we all expected we would get.

Im on it currently, used my student key and its passed genuine authentication.

Forget the student download, and get downloading that.
Is this 32 bit or 64 bit ?

evilgenius

Novice Member
Success! I now have an installed, working, activated copy of Windows 7. Shame I had to go through what I did to get it installed, much harder than when I bought Vista online the same way.

Let me know if anyone has any issues with the process and I'll do my best to explain it.
tehpfy, will this bootable disc allow me to format my C drive and install fresh?

fat jez

No, Windows 7 will not install. I changed the boot priority in BIOS to the dempty drive that I wanted to install Windows 7 on to. I then booted the PC and installed Windows 7 from the DVD but as soon as Windows 7 reboots for the first time I get :

Boot From CD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK + PRESS ENTER

Obviuosuly, the install does not complete after this message !
Hi Jude,

Did you remove any other hard drives from the system? (disconnecting the IDE/SATA cables would be enough). I've had problems before where I've been installing Windows onto a SATA drive with an IDE drive connected. Windows writes files to the IDE drive (it was finding that drive first when scanning the system) before installing the OS onto the SATA drive. When I then set the boot drive to be the SATA one, I got the Disk Boot Failure error.

Basically, unless you really want to dual boot more than one OS, I would recommend that the only drives you have connected are the hard drive you are installing onto and the DVD drive you are installing from.

fat jez

tehpfy, will this bootable disc allow me to format my C drive and install fresh?
Only if you have a full professional license key. If yours is an upgrade key, you'll have to jump through the same hoops as any other upgrade install. You'll still also need to write the ISO image onto a DVD.

drummerjohn

None of the command lines on this thread worked for me. I got this one and it works:

oscdimg -bC:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso

There shouldn't be a space between etfsboot.com but this forum for some reason is putting it in.

Last edited:

judethedude

Utorrent or other torrent program.
Thank you evilgenius. Currently downloading using uTorrent.

It's currently stating the download will take another 13 hours but if this is the only way I'm going to be able to use my £30 licence is going to be worth it !

judethedude

Hi Jude,

Did you remove any other hard drives from the system? (disconnecting the IDE/SATA cables would be enough). I've had problems before where I've been installing Windows onto a SATA drive with an IDE drive connected. Windows writes files to the IDE drive (it was finding that drive first when scanning the system) before installing the OS onto the SATA drive. When I then set the boot drive to be the SATA one, I got the Disk Boot Failure error.

Basically, unless you really want to dual boot more than one OS, I would recommend that the only drives you have connected are the hard drive you are installing onto and the DVD drive you are installing from.
Thanks for the post fat jez.

The DVD drive I'm installing Windows 7 from is IDE but my hard drives are SATA ! Do I need to install any SATA/RAID drivers for my motherboards SATA/RAID controller during the installation.

I'm not actually running RAID in my system but its just a thought as I had to install drivers on XP (press F6 during install).

I want to have a dual boot system initially to give myself time to collect all the new Windows 7 drivers and get the OS running 100% before removing XP Pro.

Thanks again.

evilgenius

Novice Member
Only if you have a full professional license key. If yours is an upgrade key, you'll have to jump through the same hoops as any other upgrade install. You'll still also need to write the ISO image onto a DVD.

sorry, can you clarify what you meant by "jump through the same hoops as any other upgrade install".

Ive downloaded the DigitalRiver student version, and im a bit confused. Did this whole "make a bootable .Iso" event make a dvd that can boot off a blank hardrive or is it just a DVD that boots?

Cos I have a second hard drive installed and I could have saved myself 2hours running the upgrade from that,which isnt what I want. I want that new format/fresh install feeling lol.

nickylewis

Using the torrent file is so simple - Just burn the iso to disk, put it in, restart - done.

Glad you've got it downloading.

judethedude

I'm a bit concerned about this uTorrent program so hopefully someone will be able to put my mind at rest !

I'm currently downloading the Windows 7 Pro torrent but uTorrent is also showing that I've uploaded about 30MB so far !

What on earth is this as I'm only supposed to be downloading ?

evilgenius

Novice Member
thats the nature of P2P ( peer to peer ) you upload and download at the same time...you are taking the **** right lol.

Trending threads

Latest News

Denon introduces 8K ready AV Receivers as industry's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CES 2021 to go ahead 'in person'
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020