Windows 7...to install or not to

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by gino_76ph, Feb 4, 2009.

1. gino_76ph

gino_76ph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i currently have Vista Home premium and i am tempted to install Windows 7. is it safe to install the beta release or shall i waitfor the RC1 version? any bugs or issues so far?

2. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    If you're not comfortable with installing over the top, you can dual-boot it, check out the threads in this forum :smashin:

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    I installed W7 on my backup PC over the top Vista - I changed back to Vista a few weeks later as I couldn't see why a Vista user would want W7. It looks very similar works very similar but uses a tad less resources. Apart from that for the average user it's Vista with a different name and as I love Vista then hey what's the point. I think W7 is aimed at XP users who have refused to migrate to Vista due to the wholly uncalled for bad press.

One thing I would warn of - when trying to go back to Vista you will have to do a clean install. The Vista install disk warned I could not upgrade to an older version of Windows i.e. W7 is newer than Vista so make sure you have a backup image or else you will have to do a clean install.

4. treacle

treacle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Its a little foolish to install a Beta over a current system, its easy enough to dual boot,

Your current system for everyday working, Beta for experimenting.

I find 7 is an extremely fine system, for a Beta its probably the best that M/S has ever released.

This will outperform Vista, in nearly every way, can't wait for the finished product.:smashin:

5. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    just to jump on the thread, ive got release 7000 of the 64bit version and 7022 of the 32bit. How "complete" is the earlier version? Id rather try that as ive got 6 megs of ram that need the 64 bit. But if theyve put a lot of new bits in 7022 then i'll put that on instead. Curently using the 64bit Vista Home Premium but will set up a dual boot.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Given W7 is based on the same kernel as Vista and MS have already stated that all software that works on Vista will work with W7 can you quantify that statement