Windows 7 restore/wipe/reinstall

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RoToQ, Dec 30, 2011.

1. RoToQ

RoToQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some advice.

A friend messed his laptop sound drivers up and asked me to look at it for him. I agreed, thinking it would be simple, but this laptop is a virus ridden heap of ****. Its a packard bell, probably about 2 years old tops, with barely anything installed on it bar windows 7, office 2007 and skype etc, but it finds simple tasks almost impossible (internet browsing etc).

Norton etc has basically seized up and most operations on the computer are not worth attepmting as it will take an age, or freeze. As there is nothing to lose on the HDD, I want to wipe it and start again, only it didn't come with any windows discs etc, he didn't make any recovery discs when he got the laptop, and he didn't personally create any restore points of note.

Is there a way to restore the system to factory setup? Can I d/l a copy of windows & and just used the key on the bottom of the latop for a fresh install? Any other ideas?

I have very limited experience in windows 7 and don't really know any of the security procedures etc put in place but surely d/ling a copy of the same version of windows and using my legitimate key wouldn't be that out of the question? Or are Microsoft really that awkward?

Much love,

ROTOQ

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Laptops should have a recovery partition on the HDD to do a full system restore. Depending on the software used for the recovery there are a few different ways the restore gets done, but for a Packard Bell laptop you can follow the instructions on their website - customhelp - Restoring the operating system
    Be aware that all programs that have been installed since the laptop was bought will be lost. So if Offfice was bought separately you will need the install disc and license key to reinstall it. All documents, photos, music etc will also be lost and so need to be backed up before you start.

Mark.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  3. RoToQ

RoToQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

The full model number is Packard Bell EasyNote TJ65-AU-052UK

I have reset it to factory settings using Packard Bells Recovery utility.

Now for the microphone. In device manager, the sound card appears under "high definition audio device"

There is another device "Intel High definition audio HDMI"

When I go to manage audiio devices, I can see 2 microphones. One is the microphone socket (left side of laptop), and the other, i must assume, is the built in microphone. However when I go to configure the device, no sound is recognised from the built in microphone. If i plug a mic into the mic socket, it picks up sound ok. Any ideas?

4. RoToQ

RoToQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    correction, 'high definition audio device" changed to "conexant high definition audio" after i updated the drivers from PB website.

The problem remains though.

5. MiiCK90

MiiCK90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    So the laptop is speedy now? I just repaired a 6 month old AMD laptop that was running at around 85 degrees, after taking off the back panel and cleaning, it went to 40/50 degrees, if your not confident in removing the panel, stick a hoover near the fan inlet and outlet and suck any dust out. Drivers are an easy fix, if it worked before it'll work again, go to the Packard bell website and find the drivers, any drivers like chipset, realtek audio, etc.. has it got a built in webcam? the mic will be near that if so, try installing the camera drivers etc.

6. RoToQ

RoToQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the thing though, he's never actually used the mic. The camera is working fine.

Yes the laptop is quite fast, like new atm!

7. MiiCK90

MiiCK90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    So, if he's never used it.. why bother to fix it lol? Post the model number of the machine or go into device manager and check in 'other devices' for yellow question marks, if there's any, right click it and 'update driver software'.

8. RoToQ

RoToQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He wants to use it now, his sister is in Australia and he wants to use skype. I've given him a mouse with mic built in for the mean time but I'd like to get it fixed for him.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
  10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Another thought - have you downloaded the Application for the webcam from the downloads page? There is an Applications tab with 2 camera apps you can download depending on which webcam is installed in the laptop.

Mark.

11. RoToQ

RoToQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't yet. I've given the laptop back to him, but i will suggest that.

Thanks!