Windows 7 question

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just got upgraded to smart desktops and windows 7 at work - all very different from the old xp i had.

anyway - looking at some "hints and tips" with what it can do, I have found that you can add an "address" bar to the taskbar, in which you can type a webpage, press enter and then IE will bring up the website.

is there a way of changing the default internet browser in the address bar so that it opens up results using Chrome and not IE - or is IE default and final?

*possible* solution:

Install Google Chrome. When you run it (Chrome) for the first time, set it as your default browser when prompted. May do the trick......

(can't confirm this as I don't use the address bar toolbar in Windows 7, sorry!)

found a way to change it now - in control panel and default programs etc you can pick chrome as the default browser which has changed the address bar.

Just came across this article whilst looking for solutions to your original question:

20 top tips for Windows 7

Some of them I didn't even know about and we've had it installed at work for over four years now (anyone else know there's different wallpaper backgrounds displayed depending on which country you're in!). Anyway you might find a few handy ones in there to keep you amused!

i have been on a similar page and found loads of short cuts to use whilst using the "windows key"

windows key + shift + left or right sends the page you are working on over to the other screen (no need to restore down, move over, maximise etc
windows key + 1 or 2 or 3 etc cycles through the tabs you have on your task bar for each number.
windows key + space bar shows you the desktop. release and everything goes back to normal

Windows + L - Lock your PC if you leave your desk
Windows + E - Open File Explorer
Windows + R - Open the Run box
Windows + D - Minimise all open windows (show the desktop)

We just got upgraded to smart desktops and windows 7 at work - all very different from the old xp i had.
You've just ditched XP? All support for it ended two years ago. Do you have an IT department?

CTRL + ALT + Down Arrow - Makes your PC compatible with Australia.

***!!! just tried that and sat here for 5 mins with an upside down screen trying to reverse the process by pressing CTRL + ALT + Down Arrow and nothing happening.

then tried the Up Arrow and now i am back in the game :rotfl:

You've just ditched XP? All support for it ended two years ago. Do you have an IT department?

it was either XP or Vista - i forget which.

basically we got a load of new pcs about 18 months or so ago, which came with windows 7 - but our trust wasn't rolling out the smart desktop for ages so we couldn't use windows 7, so all of these new boxes had to be dumbed down and reverted back down to xp/vista.

only yesterday have we had our boxes tweeked and put back up to windows 7.

I gather it took them a while to install it off the floppy disks.

Still use XP here and it ain't going anywhere.

D'oh....just given away where i work!

Support never ends if you have money. My last place was using Windows NT 4.0 fully supported over a decade after 'support ended' - some business critical applications just couldn't be migrated. It was expensive, but a lot cheaper than stopping and going home.

We have a massive and hugely expensive IT department (CSC) and our migration to Windows 7 only completed mid-way through last year!

Cheers,

Nigel

3 years ago from XP for us with big IT department. We never move to the latest anything - it's a policy. Tomorrow we are moving to Office 2013 from 2010 - And that is only because the next version of our electronic archiving/filing program (1 or 2 versions behind the actual latest of course) being upgraded to tomorrow isn't compatible with Office 2010 :thumbsdow

The problem is if a weakness is found in Windows 7 or beyond and you are still on XP. The current O/S's will be patched by Microsoft. This will guide people to their being a weakness present and if it is still there on XP it now won't be patched and will be exploitable.

The problem is if a weakness is found in Windows 7 or beyond and you are still on XP. The current O/S's will be patched by Microsoft. This will guide people to their being a weakness present and if it is still there on XP it now won't be patched and will be exploitable.
For big corporate use though the patching doesn't really stop. Companies would change if security support did cease. I agree - I wouldn't recommend staying on ancient programs that aren't supported in the private use world.

Yep - support ends when people stop paying for it - it's easy money for MS.

The NHS paid millions for an extension.

Government signs £5.5m Microsoft deal to extend Windows XP support

The government has signed a deal with Microsoft to provide Windows XP support and security updates across the whole UK public sector for 12 months after regular support for the operating system ends on 8 April.

That has finished.
I wasn't disagreeing - ours went until three years ago in Australia and our IT team changed then because security support would stop regardless of payments at a defined point.

For general public, staying on unsupported systems (security updates) is really unwise.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom