windows 7 pro serial key help

blakemere

Novice Member
hi,
I recently upgraded to windows 10,but didn't want to keep it so rolled back to 7 and this is when I hit my problem,im being asked to activate windows ,but my key is being rejected(an oem).ms say its been blocked with the probable cause being because I changed my graphics card whilst I had windows 10.so as I see it I have two possible options.
1- buy a new key off the web
2- reinstall my old graphics card and maybe my key will be accepted.
but if I bought a new key would I need to do a complete re-install or could I just register the new key and be good to go ???
would really appreciate any advise or suggestions.
many thanks

MacrosTheBlack

Could try the graphics card swap to see if that works. But reckon you'll need to buy a new key somewhere. You shouldn't have to reinstall as long as the version matches. Home, Professional, Ultimate etc and also the media you installed from is oem or retail media and not a corporate enterprise version of Windows 7.

blakemere

Novice Member
thanks for that,reckon I`ll get a new key off fleabay and give it a go ,but just one point,a local pc firm installed it for me but they no longer exist so is there any way to check that its not a corporate enterprise version????
cheers

MacrosTheBlack

Not really. It will just fail to activate if you use a retail or oem key on enterprise media and vice versa.

So your OEM key you have? You've only changed the graphics card since having that pc? Not changed anything else or had bits replaced? Did you try the telephone activation option?

blakemere

Novice Member
No I haven't tried phoning, I did an online chat,and they told me it had been blocked and nothing they could do,would it be worth a call???,if so where can I find the number
Cheers

MacrosTheBlack

Sorry for the slow reply. Lost track of this.

If, hardware wise, you've only changed the graphics card on the computer that OEM Windows 7 came with then you are perfectly entitled to continue using that OEM license. If you changed the motherboard then your OEM license would be longer be legal for that computer.

When activation online fails against your OEM product key, you should be presented with a telephone activation option. Once you select your country it should provide a freephone number to Microsofts automated telephone activation service. Follow it through giving the numbers it asks for and tell if asked tell it you are a home user and only have the license installed on this one computer. It should then give you an activation number to type in and all will be well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom