Windows 7 over XP...

civic-type-r

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm currently on XP on my home PC,

However, it's becoming a pain as I cannot even download the latest iTunes on it.

So need windows 7 or higher, is it possible to download this from the net? Or does anyone have a software that they could lend me.

I'm not very computer literate so any help appreciated.

So need windows 7 or higher, is it possible to download this from the net? Or does anyone have a software that they could lend me.

Microsoft stopped selling Windows 7 three years or so ago now, but you can certainly buy the latest Windows 10 as a download. Although personally I'd go for the normal ones that includes a USB stick as you can download the latest installer from Microsoft's website either way to it saves you a little effort in putting it on a USB stick yourself:
Windows 10 Home 32/64-bit Electronic Software Download - Ebuyer
Windows 10 Home Box pack Flash 32/64-bit - Ebuyer

Download is a bit quicker if you're in a hurry though.

The other concern would be whether your computer is new enough to support a newer version of Windows. XP was replaced almost ten years ago now (and launched five years before that), and not many hardware manufacturers support their product for that long. Microsoft do produce a compatibility checker for new versions of Windows but I don't think it'll run on Windows XP.

It might be worth looking at a second hand PC. For the cost of a new Windows licence you can pick up a complete 2011-2012 model which gives you a newer version of windows and what's probably a faster computer.

Thanks for that.

I used the Microsoft
Checker and it says it would be ok for a windows 7 update however some things need changing and it's got to be 32 bit I think

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom