Windows 7 on an old laptop

daftpunk1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im trying to install windows 7 on a toshiba tecra laptop. It only has a 1.6ghz celeron processor and 512mb of ram. It had windows vista when I booted it up so presumed windows 7 would install.

After checking the microsoft website it states 1gb of ram minimum. Is there any way round this. Ive tried windows 7 ultimate and home premium.

Should I try windows 7 starter, what difference is this netbook version to the ultimate version....anything the average user would miss....?

Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files are required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017

Ive just installed windows xp successfully and tried again installing windows 7 and no luck.

Disk works fine as I installed it on another laptop 2 days ago....

Xp tends to come on cd not DVD.

Try external drive or installing w7 from a USB pen drive

Have no external drive, will give usb install a go...cheers....:smashin:

Would not install from usb, setup just restarted. Going to try vista....:thumbsup:

I would stick with XP with those specs. Vista will make it suffer even more as it's resource hungry.

Vista home premium installed fine. Do you think putting another upgrading the ram to 1gb would let windows 7 install...

Vista will run like a pig. Xp or windows 7 all the way.

Only time I have seen install errors like that are due to corrupt media or hdd what I am installing onto as windows 7 is more picky about disc checks etc.

I would add up to 3 more gig as memory is dirt cheap

I run Windows 7 on a similarly basic PC without issue. In fact, it runs better than XP! Its has 768Mb of ram and a slightly quicker processor @ 2GHz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom