Windows 7 back up over network - drive choice

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by PowerLee, Dec 25, 2011.

1. PowerLee

PowerLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi

Im trying to back up my Windows 7 laptop over my network to the back up drive on my Windows 7 desktop using the built in Windows back up tools.

Both machines are running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit, both are connected by lan cables to my home network.

The network is set up so I can share files & the printer between both machines fine

My desktop machine has 2 hard drives, 1 thats used as the system drive C & the other that is just used for data back up drive G.

My desktop machine will back up to the G drive fine, It when I try & back up my laptop over the network it always wants to save on the system / C drive, it cant seem to find / see the back up drive / G.

Is there an easy way to get the laptop to back up to the Data back up G drive on my desktop machine? ? ?

Thanks in advance

Lee

2. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Is sharing enable on the G drive? If it isn't you will not be able to see it over the network. On the desktop machine right click the G drive and choose the properties option. Go to the sharing tab.

3. PowerLee

PowerLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sharing was already on.

Had to go in & adjust the permissions in advanced sharing to get it working in the end.