Windows 2012 R2 disk configuration

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by luke0380, Jun 23, 2015.

1. luke0380

luke0380
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am trying to bring my skills and knowledge up to date and start studying for an MCP in Windows 8.1 , before moving onto Server 2012.
    I have an Intel i5 based computer , 16gb memory , 2 x 2 TB hard drives which are cable of RAID (be it only built in Gigabyte system board).

I have downloaded trials of software from Microsoft and would like to run some VM's to use with Micosoft labs.
    I have the option of Windows 2012 Standard or data centre as the main OS and I then want to run for now a couple of VM's under Hyper-V , 1 x 2012 server which will run WSUS. And another VM running Windows 8.1. And also have some room to store file apps , ISO's etc

My question which i am unsure about is how i configure the HDDs and best way to allocate drives. I am not too worried about redundancy at present . But i am not sure it I set it up as RAID 0 , or have 2 separate drives. And then how much space do I need for the main operating system. And how much for the VM's for Windows 2012 and WSUS database , Windowss 8.1 and some room for a file apps.

I then hope that the VM's i could backup periodaclly to a NAS box located elsewhere.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Don't bother with motherboard RAID. You're better off with the Windows disk combining options as it's easy to recover in the event of a hardware failure.

I'd allocate around 75GB for your main windows install. It'll start off needing half that, or less, but it will grow over the years as programs and updates are installed. Even if you tell a program to install elsewhere there are some bits that have to be on the same partition as Windows.

3. scythefwd

scythefwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    one 1tb disk will be MORE than sufficient for a lab. Base windows install, core hyper v server is under 250 mb. Base 2012r2 install is well below 10gb (I've seen folks running it off of a thumb drive).

Your virtual disks and vm config files - those can be stored anywhere and you chose that location when you create the vm's. As long as the OS can see it, no biggie. No reason to raid in this instance at all. Functionally, no difference between datacenter and standard. Standard allows for 2 vm's to be ran without any further licensing, Datacenter allows unlimited. That said, the free (as in beer) hyper-v 2012 r2 core server (NO GUI possible) is a bit of a pain but works. Best of luck man. I work hyper-v environments all the time (its my job). If ya have any questions, feel free to ping me.