1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 50/50, Jun 13, 2003.

1. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been using this for about 2 weeks now, Ive just got to say that it is the most sable OS I have EVER used.
    I tried watching movies using PowerDVD, and It looks abit smoother than WindowsXP (not sure why tho)

A big thumbs up for HTPC use

[BTW, Im not using it for HTPC, im using its for a firewall/ADSLhub, Real time Ftp server, a peripherals sharing server and a network storage server. Copes with all this MUCH better than windows 2000 server! It hasnt been rebooted for over 11 days]

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Microsoft do claim that it outperforms Win2K and NT4 servers on same hardware; highly optimised OS according to their PR.

I've been looking for an excuse to install my shiny new Win2k3 server DVDs -- perhaps I should install it on my HTPC?

StooMonster

4. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I've been stress testing the Web Edition of Win 2003 for four weeks now. This basically consists of non-stop web pages requests and ISAPI application executions.

Five (out of 25) of the ISAPIs always fail with big memory write failures (on purpose) to check stability and isolation.

Just haven't been able to pull it down at all. So 10/10 for that.

Just waiting to hear on the security testing now.

Boot speed of the system is excellent. Even better for HTPC usage is standby to login prompt in about four seconds on this machine (workstation, nothing too flash).

Cheers

Ian