Windows 11

Well I took the plunge on my unsupported hardware and went for it. It was the CPU that it did not like and my system disk which needed converting from MBR to GPT before installing. Thought I'd share my experience. I had a few failed attempts as I did not do things in a correct order so here is the process I followed and I'm happy with the results.
  • Used MBR2GPT to convert my system disk (c:\) that was on MBR to a GPT disk. This worked a treat.
  • Rebooted.
  • Checked system disk is now GPT
  • Added the regkey to bypass the check for my CPU. (There's a key for anything you want to bypass)
  • Within Win10 I mounted Win 11 ISO and unchecked the option to install updates.
  • Pulled out my network cable and let the install go.
  • Logged in to Win11 when finished and plugged network cable back in.
  • Checked for updates and installed updates.
I must say my first impressions are really good. Moved that start menu back to the left first thing. I've been checking all my main apps and stuff and things feel a lot more snappier. Office apps certainly load quicker. Did a quick gaming benchmark but it did not show any difference compared to win10.

All in all, I rather like it!

Pulled out my network cable and let the install go.
Does windows 11 force you to have a MS account at any point? I know windows 10 wont install without one if connected to the net at install.

Does windows 11 force you to have a MS account at any point? I know windows 10 wont install without one if connected to the net at install.
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that as on Win10 I used my MS account so it just carried over.

I did not see anything to indicate it was a requirement and I was also offline for the duration of the install. You do have the option to roll back to Win10 if there's any issues.

EDIT: Come to think of it, my licence is linked to my MS account so the answer could be yes you do need a MS account. You may need to have a play and see what happens.

Last edited:
Well turned on pc todays and "upgrade to windows 11 available" was showing .... took option 2 of staying on windows 10 just now.

Going to give it a bit longer to settle down for any patches that might be needed for early adopting

Upgraded my laptop (Intel) and my gaming pc (Ryzen 3700) and its all been fine.. no difference I could see playing games - was playing Valhalla and Days gone for hours with no crashes or glitches.

So far so smooth :)

Might give this a go unless there's any reason not to? I assume mining software e.g trex still works fine, anyone tried it?
Are there advantages from a gaming perspective upgrading to Windows 11, think windows 11 is more gaming oriented isn't it?

Might give this a go unless there's any reason not to? I assume mining software e.g trex still works fine, anyone tried it?
Are there advantages from a gaming perspective upgrading to Windows 11, think windows 11 is more gaming oriented isn't it?
Double check they have fixed the ryzen issue first

Double check they have fixed the ryzen issue first

Yeah, thought that was sorted now. Anyway I doubt I'd notice anything even if it was still an issue...

Yeah, thought that was sorted now. Anyway I doubt I'd notice anything even if it was still an issue...
Let us know if you have issues mining

Bit the bullet and installed last night - other than the annoying placement of the start button and rounded corners, it's all very familiar performance wise so far.
I did have to do a DDU and reinstall GPU drivers as I got the same issue as when I reinstalled Windows 10 recently (driver timeout issue) but other than that all working ok.
There is an "easy" uninstall option too if you hate it.

I installed Win 11 on Monday (1st of 11th went 11 :D) I did a clean install and have had to set everything up from scratch again, I quite like the look of it but have found the settings menu a bit of a pain as it's a new install there are a few settings I wanted to change, I found a lot of help in this on YouTube. Very happy now and I've had no problems so far.
My main reason for the new install was I had added a new 2TB NVMe as a second drive and moved all my games to it but I was having trouble since I did it. So for me a simple upgrade wouldn't have been useful, it was a choice between reinstalling 10 or moving to 11. :)

I'm fine with w10. I don't see any need to upgrade at present and in the foreseeable future. If it ain't broke and all that.
I built my pc and I'm not really bothered if it can or can't run it. By the time w10 support ends I'll have built another pc anyway.

I'm fine with w10. I don't see any need to upgrade at present and in the foreseeable future. If it ain't broke and all that.
I built my pc and I'm not really bothered if it can or can't run it. By the time w10 support ends I'll have built another pc anyway.

I'm exactly the same. Microsoft conditioned us to believe it would be the last numbered version of Windows and I've been burned before by MS' good OS/💩 OS sequence.

I am feeling similar, I will move to 11 when I next need to rebuild maybe - I just rebuilt with win 10 so in 2022 perhaps - always worth leaving a new OS to cook for a 6-12months before getting on board as it gives all the hardware/software venders chance to iron out anything funny.

And yes if the pattern good/bad OS cycle persists then 11 is due to be the one no one likes.

I installed W11 and my internet connection immediately kept dropping out and even when it did connect no web pages would load.
So I rolled back to W10 and it's rock solid again.
I'm not confident enough to play with settings and expected W11 to work "out of the box" but it didn't, so for me it was a waste of time.

Time to uninstall for me.
Explorer just plain locks up all the time - accessing my NAS and the password prompt just disappears and then you can't click on anything as it thinks there is an open dialogue box.
Xbox gamepass - can't install anything as it can't see any of my hard drives. Tried a couple of fixes I found but nothing sorted it. Uninstalled it and reinstalled it and the associated MS game services but nope.
Had a few issues with Oculus app, games would come up in the background and run but not show as running in the headset (never had it before on Win 10 - so assumption is it's Win 11). Have to keep taking the headset back off and alt-tabbing to the game to get it on the Quest.
Sound issues with Oculus too - despite having my audio output set to the headset in Windows 11 it's still playing out of my DAC or worse it randomly selects one of my monitors (none of which have speakers) for sound output following a reboot - if I disable them in device manager they are becoming active again after a reboot and again take the priority on audio despite what was previously set. I have had this before when you install a new Nvidia driver, but I am not doing that every reboot!

It’s a win for me. First time ever I’ve got to play a Forza game without any crashes (game, not driving lol)

I think that the upgrade to Windows 11 will go a lot smoother if you do a clean install instead of just the upgrade from the update menu in Windows 10. I know that it is a longer job but it's worked well for me as the only problem I have had is clipboard history not working which is a pain but overall everything has gone very well, my games play fine too. :thumbsup:

I think that the upgrade to Windows 11 will go a lot smoother if you do a clean install instead of just the upgrade from the update menu in Windows 10. I know that it is a longer job but it's worked well for me as the only problem I have had is clipboard history not working which is a pain but overall everything has gone very well, my games play fine too. :thumbsup:

Tempted to try this before I ditch it, I did the inplace upgrade IIRC

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom