Windows 11

My ASUS motherboard has a TPM slot but it is a 20-pin one and only supports 1.2 not 2.0 which is required for Windows 11.

I was always planning to build a new PC anyway when the ridiculous stock and pricing situation had settled down so I guess it is not that big of a deal to just stick with Windows 10 for now and just get a new PC with Windows 11 installed. It likely will not officially release until 2022 or even 2023 anyway.
Dont know if classed as a 20 pin as one missing I just checked my MB and it has a TPM but like the picture of an other make of MB from the net 19 pin.
I'm in the same boat. I built mine a bit back and and for the first time struggled after fitting the new MB even had Toko who was a genius and building computers and was off round the world sorting systems out had a job getting in to work correctly so as he's not here I lost confidence to build my own again as he sadly not with us as my back up help.
Like you I also a gamer and not had any problems with games which run fast.

AA TPM 19 pin 300.jpg

AA TPM 19 pin 300.....jpg

I checked two PCs today and Windows update gave me a message stating both are compatible but would have to wait until 11 is rolled out. Is there somewhere you can go to force the update now?

Google the Win 11 Upgrade Assistant.

Job done in 30 mins or so. I’ve done two Ryzen PC’s this week and haven’t noticed any negatives.

I may be in the minority but I quite like Win 11.

B550 Gaming Plus and Ryzen 5 3600. Initial problems with Secure Boot being 'accepted' by the compatibility check. MSI bios update for W11 dated 27/09/21 and once that was flashed, no probs with enabling tpm and secure boot in bios. Update went swimmingly using the Windows Upgrade Assistant.

I'm just debating on whether to install win11. There's an easy registry hack to bypass CPU restrictions which is the only thing holding me back. It's the line that they cannot guarantee future updates though..... would MS really do this?

Has anyone else tried the upgrade on unsupported hardware yet?

I upgraded my spare PC as that's a Ryzen 3400G (just had to enable TPM and setup Secure Boot in the BIOS and by running the MBR2GPT tool). But my main PC which in theory is more powerful can't be upgraded because the CPU is unsupported :(.

I have Secure Boot enabled and running, I added a TPM 2.0 module but the update assistant says I can't install Windows 11 because I have a i7 6700K which isn't supported.

I'm going to hold off using the registry change until I hear more from people who have done the upgrade with an unsupported CPU.

I upgraded my spare PC as that's a Ryzen 3400G (just had to enable TPM and setup Secure Boot in the BIOS and by running the MBR2GPT tool). But my main PC which in theory is more powerful can't be upgraded because the CPU is unsupported :(.

I have Secure Boot enabled and running, I added a TPM 2.0 module but the update assistant says I can't install Windows 11 because I have a i7 6700K which isn't supported.

I'm going to hold off using the registry change until I hear more from people who have done the upgrade with an unsupported CPU.
Was there not a comment along the lines of they won't stop you upgrading on any cpu but you won't necessarily get any updates. Paraphrasing a bit maybe but sure it was something like that.

Was there not a comment along the lines of they won't stop you upgrading on any cpu but you won't necessarily get any updates. Paraphrasing a bit maybe but sure it was something like that.

Yeah I think I heard something similar in that they are not sure about long term support or what certain updates would do with unsupported CPUs.

Loads of people on OCUK have upgraded to Win 11 on non-supported CPU’s.

Can’t really see MS preventing updates IMO.

I'd echo most other folk, I intend to hold off until I'm reasonably confident it's stable and any initial bugs are ironed out.
My PC is almost exclusively used for gaming though so I'm very curious to see how direct storage etc pans out.
Agreed. No way I am touching this for 12 months. Why on earth would anyone be the guinea pig for the most notoriously buggy and security averse product in IT? (imho of course)

Agreed. No way I am touching this for 12 months. Why on earth would anyone be the guinea pig for the most notoriously buggy and security averse product in IT? (imho of course)
I agree, Battlefield is always rubbish on release (oops, wrong thread😅)

Those who have upgraded could you list the software that no longer works ?
Or even any positives you may have experienced ?

0. Everything works as it did on Win 10, or at least for me.

I’ve not even stumbled across a bug yet but of course, YMMV.

Seems a bit snappier than Win 10 IMO.

0. Everything works as it did on Win 10, or at least for me.

I’ve not even stumbled across a bug yet but of course, YMMV.

Seems a bit snappier than Win 10 IMO.
Well that's very positive, usually when a new win OS releases there is a ton of software that no longer works. Sounds promising.

Many thanks for your reply.

I've been running it for about 3 weeks (windows insider program) not had any issues at all. I'm on supported hardware. The post previous in the thread about 'AMD possible performance dip' ive not noticed anything.

Last edited:

Everything has worked as intended. I was worried that some of my niche software may have issues but Crew Chief, Sim Commander and SimTools have all worked perfectly.

Seems initial reports indicate Microsoft are favouring Intel with this Windows release performance-wise and AMD processors are getting royally shafted.

Windows 11 won't be allowed anywhere near my system for the foreseeable future.

Seems initial reports indicate Microsoft are favouring Intel with this Windows release performance-wise and AMD processors are getting royally shafted.

Windows 11 won't be allowed anywhere near my system for the foreseeable future.

I'd read there was a performance issue with amd on win11 which they were in the process of patching. Is there's something else affecting AMD chips as well?

Seems unlikely, given their relationship with Xbox, that MS would choose to favour intel. There's nothing for them to gain by doing this.

I'd read there was a performance issue with amd on win11 which they were in the process of patching. Is there's something else affecting AMD chips as well?

Seems unlikely, given their relationship with Xbox, that MS would choose to favour intel. There's nothing for them to gain by doing this.
From what I understand, the first patch had made it even worse.

And given the things that Intel have been publicly saying about AMD recently in terms of performance... a conspiracy theorist would think that money has exchanged hands to intentionally cripple AMD while reviewers test and report on the upcoming Alder Lake series of chips. Sure it may be patched eventually, but not before those performance graphs get published. It's unlikely many reviewers will go back and retest everything once the actual patch gets released. Hmmm....

Personally I'm not a fan of either Intel or AMD (I've owned both, and if anything I still prefer Intel), but it seems strange that no one at MS, Intel or AMD noticed this performance discrepancy until now.

From what I understand, the first patch had made it even worse.

And given the things that Intel have been publicly saying about AMD recently in terms of performance... a conspiracy theorist would think that money has exchanged hands to intentionally cripple AMD while reviewers test and report on the upcoming Alder Lake series of chips. Sure it may be patched eventually, but not before those performance graphs get published. It's unlikely many reviewers will go back and retest everything once the actual patch gets released. Hmmm....

Personally I'm not a fan of either Intel or AMD (I've owned both, and if anything I still prefer Intel), but it seems strange that no one at MS, Intel or AMD noticed this performance discrepancy until now.

Hmm I don't buy it to be honest. MS have more money down the back of their proverbial couch than most small nations. Doesn't tally up that they'd take a back hander from intel to hobble performance on AMD machines.

Hmm I don't buy it to be honest. MS have more money down the back of their proverbial couch than most small nations. Doesn't tally up that they'd take a back hander from intel to hobble performance on AMD machines.
It might not be true at all, but it can certainly be perceived that way.

Regardless, I won't be touching 11 with a barge pole anytime soon if there's even an inkling of a decrease in performance.

I literally just got the message on my laptop earlier saying I'm compatible. I'm a sucker for a new interface, but I think I'm gonna pass for a good 6 months. I'm not interested in hassle, and I know hassle is what I'll end up with!

It might not be true at all, but it can certainly be perceived that way.

Regardless, I won't be touching 11 with a barge pole anytime soon if there's even an inkling of a decrease in performance.

Oh I totally agree on both counts - it doesn't look good and I won't be downloading it till the links are ironed out either.

Benchmarks tests on my 5950X and 3090FE are identical since upgrading to Win 11, or at least within any margin of error.

If there is a reduction in performance I’ve not noticed it at all.

Still, if a patch comes out that increases performance then I won’t complain!

I literally just got the message on my laptop earlier saying I'm compatible. I'm a sucker for a new interface, but I think I'm gonna pass for a good 6 months. I'm not interested in hassle, and I know hassle is what I'll end up with!
I go the same message , it's bog standard HP lappy ( no frills what so ever ) with a 8130u and it will allow me to update
im tempted but think i'll just wait a bit , ( i say a bit ! ill get bored on my next day off and install it haha )

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom