Windows 11

So the scalping has already begun for these bloomin modules we've never needed before :mad:

To be fair, there's no real hurry to upgrade to Windows 11. From what I've read there's nothing that will give me an immediate boost in any way.
Direct storage is the big thing but it'll likely be a while before we see many games use it.

To be fair, there's no real hurry to upgrade to Windows 11. From what I've read there's nothing that will give me an immediate boost in any way.
Direct storage is the big thing but it'll likely be a while before we see many games use it.
Of course you're right on that but it's really frustrating that it's becoming the norm now when a new piece of tech comes out scalping is in full force ramping prices up ridiculous levels above rrp.

The biggest problem used to be missing out on stock because of demand. Not missing out because someone has bought 20-30 of what you're after to sell at massively inflated prices.

So I checked today and not compatible. My guess, based on the above posts, would be to switch TPM or whatever on in the motherboard bios. I'll have a look tomorrow as I'd be very surprised, and a little annoyed, if my 9 month old MSI B550m motherboard couldn't support Windows 11....
It's CPU based. My MSI B450 has it, so yours will if CPU compatible. 1st gen ryzens are not.

Are we expecting that this will enable PS5 1st party load times of just a couple of seconds on a PC?, because until it’s released and the folks smarter than me have analysed it it’s just marketing guff to me which I can’t get excited about.
It was the same marketing stuff on the PS5 as well to be fair.
There is no logical reason why it cannot be implemented into windows. In fact, due to the ridiculous speeds of M2 drives and the superior GPUs, it should be quicker.

It's CPU based. My MSI B450 has it, so yours will if CPU compatible. 1st gen ryzens are not.

Yep, I just went into the bios, switched tpm on and it now says I'm ready to go 👍

Last edited:
Well had a look at specs on my board and it does tpm 2.0 via a module. Guess I'll need to get one if I don't do a new pc before then

Whilst a lot of people on this forum are quite tech savvy, a lot of the people will be confused and annoyed and will probably think they will need to buy a new PC. Putting up stringent hardware limitations to force upgrade is more an Apple tactic. Sad to see Microsoft heading this way.

Windows 11 may well become their new Vista, with people sticking to Windows 10 like they did with XP. They still have time to change things if they want to.

Whilst a lot of people on this forum are quite tech savvy, a lot of the people will be confused and annoyed and will probably think they will need to buy a new PC. Putting up stringent hardware limitations to force upgrade is more an Apple tactic. Sad to see Microsoft heading this way.

Windows 11 may well become their new Vista, with people sticking to Windows 10 like they did with XP. They still have time to change things if they want to.

Yeah I see your point but the difference now is that they're offering it as a free upgrade, which will ensure a decent take up.

I don't know much about tpm, other than what I learned on Google this morning. My guess is they're trying to make the platform more secure? Although perhaps fellow forumites who actually have a clue what they're walking about could enlighten me?

Yeah I see your point but the difference now is that they're offering it as a free upgrade, which will ensure a decent take up.

I don't know much about tpm, other than what I learned on Google this morning. My guess is they're trying to make the platform more secure? Although perhaps fellow forumites who actually have a clue what they're walking about could enlighten me?
Like you said it is about security.
As for TPM being an issue, how many people on here will it affect. I imagine most people have upgraded in the last few years and therefore will just enable a bios feature. People with older hardware can still run Windows 10 for the end 4 years (and beyond) until they upgrade and any new complete systems (laptop or desktop) will have the required TPM (be it software or hardware)

My system is compatible R5 3600x MSI b450 carbon pro i switched on tpm in the bios, the helper tool is saying rollout is in 2022 lol i want it now.

I’m only a very casual PC gamer, as long as the game is running fine then that’s good enough for me. I'll upgrade to Windows 11 when I buy a pc that comes with it installed, I definitely aren’t going into the bios changing things.

Known issues with Build 22000.51​

• When upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10 or when installing an update to Windows 11, some features may be deprecated or removed. See details here.
  • Taskbar:
    • Taskbar will not be shown across multiple monitors but will return in an upcoming build.
    • The preview window may not display the entire window when hovering over Task View on the taskbar.
  • Settings:
    • When upgrading a device with multiple user accounts to Windows 11, Settings will fail to launch.
    • A small set of Settings legacy pages as well as fit and finish bugs will be addressed in future releases.
    • The ‘Power mode’ setting does not show up on the Power & battery page.
    • When launching the Settings app, a brief green flash may appear.
    • When using Quick Settings to modify Accessibility settings, the settings UI may not save the selected state.
  • Start:
    • In some cases, you might be unable to enter text when using Search from Start or the taskbar. If you experience the issue, press Win + R on the keyboard to launch the Run dialog box, then close it.
    • We’re working on fixing an issue that’s preventing unpinning apps from Start, making the command bar in File Explorer disappear, or hiding snap. To work around these, restart your PC.
  • Search:
    • App icons in the Search panel may do not load, and instead appear as gray squares.
    • When hovering your mouse over the Search icon on the taskbar, the third recent search does not load and remains blank.
    • After clicking the Search icon taskbar, the Search panel may not open. If this occurs, restart the “Windows Explorer” process, and open the search panel again.
    • When you hover your mouse over the Search icon on the taskbar, recent searches may not be displayed. To work around the issue, restart your device.
    • Search panel might appear as black and not display any content below the search box.
  • Widgets:
    • System text scaling will scale all widgets proportionally and may result in cropped widgets.
    • Launching links from the widgets board may not invoke apps to the foreground.
    • When using screen reader/Narrator in widgets may not properly announce content
    • Widgets board may appear empty. To work around the issue, you can sign out and then sign back in again.
    • When using the Outlook client with a Microsoft account, Calendar, and To Do changes may not sync to the widgets in real time.
    • Widgets may be displayed in the wrong size on external monitors. If you encounter this, you can launch the widgets via touch or WIN + W shortcut on your actual device monitor first and then launch on your secondary monitors.
    • After adding multiple widgets quickly from the widgets settings, some of the widgets may not be visible on the board.
  • Store:
    • The install button might not be functional yet in some limited scenarios.
    • Rating and reviews are not available for some apps.

Windows 11 Home having to be online and have a MS Cloud Account, they are begging for people to go back to pre windows 10 times.

As today is supposed to be the official release date for Windows 11, has anyone been brave enough to install this on their machines yet ?

As today is supposed to be the official release date for Windows 11, has anyone been brave enough to install this on their machines yet ?
Nope. Will give it a month so they iron out any immediate issues

Nope, because I have work to do :)
Will have to wait till my company confirms it works with our remote connection etc before I dive in. Plus be interested to see what (if any) the benefits are from a strictly gaming perspective when we get some proper reviews

No I dont like the changes and I am usually more than happy to get the lastest OS but I am getting that window 8 feeling again and wonder if there will be a Window 11.1 "sorry we have changed it back" edition when people find out they cannot drag folders etc to the task bar anymore (or move the task bar from the bottom of the screen) and you have to right click, choose more options, then and only then you get the cut/copy options. Small things but annoying unneeded changes so I will hold out for a couple of years and get aboard then. Window 10 supported until 2025 so no rush.

I must say I'm in no rush, past new OS's have always come with their problems as well as the array of software that stops working.

Although saying that I'm inquisitive to explore the advertised improved gaming performance?

I'd echo most other folk, I intend to hold off until I'm reasonably confident it's stable and any initial bugs are ironed out.
My PC is almost exclusively used for gaming though so I'm very curious to see how direct storage etc pans out.

I installed it last night, hassle free update to be honest. Not experienced any drawback (yet) and apart from looking prettier, not noticed any pros as yet either.

I installed it last night, hassle free update to be honest. Not experienced any drawback (yet) and apart from looking prettier, not noticed any pros as yet either.
I checked two PCs today and Windows update gave me a message stating both are compatible but would have to wait until 11 is rolled out. Is there somewhere you can go to force the update now?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom