Windows 11

drinkturps

As a sucker for a new OS I was excited about Windows 11. A free upgrade to those with Windows 10, yes please! Ran the checker and hold on...... my machine is not compatible. The reason is TPM 2.0. My motherboard has a socket for it but does not have the module plugged in. The chances are a lot of you home PC builders will be the same. Seems to be a lot of noise about this too. My mobo manual says I need 14-1 TPM connector quick look at Amazon and of course they are sold out!

If you do have it installed you may need to enable it in your BIOS.

I'm not sure why TPM 2.0 would be a mandatory requirement for an OS for home PCs and I hope MS change their stance on this.

EDIT: It may not be mandatory after all!

EDIT2: After some more playing about I had a setting in my BIOS that changed TPM from discrete to Firmware. When I open tpm.msc I can now see TPM enabled. Ran the checker again and it still failed. I'm now thinking it could be the GPU as the original Titan whilst it does support DX12 it's only at version 11. Windows 11 asks for WDDM 2.x and the Titan is WDDM 2.0. It's a shame the checker does not provide more detail.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
TPM 2.0 certainly draws a line in the sand, I do wonder if that will hold as a mandatory requirement.

Most motherboard makers have a module so self builders should be alright so long as you can find the right TPM 2.0 module but everywhere is quickly selling out. Demand will hopefully mean they will supply more to the market and not try to force people to buy new win 11 "compatible" mobos.

Your Asrock TPM-SPI 14.1 module is still in stock on Scan.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Watch ltt latest vid , you need to enable a few things in bios
Can't remember what they are ( at work at the moment)

drinkturps

Watch ltt latest vid , you need to enable a few things in bios
Can't remember what they are ( at work at the moment)
Yeah, I've had a play about . At least the OS is recognising TPM now.
1624633500094.png

Still don't know why I'm failing the checker though!

ArmitageShanks

Not in any major hurry to upgrade TBH. My PC is primarily a games machine. It just looks like different window dressing on the same 10 kernel.

drinkturps

Not in any major hurry to upgrade TBH. My PC is primarily a games machine. It just looks like different window dressing on the same 10 kernel.
With Windows 10 support until 2025 there's still 4 years to go by which time Windows 11 keys will be a tenner! Direct Storage sounds interesting though where the CPU is ignored and games can load straight from disk into the GPU. I guess in 4 years time they'll also be games that take advantage of it!

It's got a lot of potential and I want to play with it. I hope the checker gets updated and provides better information.

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
I trued the checker but it just told me to check the oem specs. There wasn't any specs in the page it sent me to. Not the best start :D

Doctor Hades

I have quite an old PC (an i7-4770K @ 4 GHz system) built in June 2013 but with the GTX 1080 Ti it is still a very capable 1440p gaming system running Windows 10 from an SSD. However, it seems my PC is not compatible with Windows 11 which surprised me. Not sure why this is unless the final version will expand support to include older CPUs.

Obviously, I will be upgrading my PC sooner rather than later but the stock shortages means that getting one with an RTX 3080 or RTX 3080 Ti is near impossible hence why I've held off on the upgrade for now. I am currently looking at buying a custom built system once the GPU prices stabilise a bit.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I have quite an old PC (an i7-4770K @ 4 GHz system) built in June 2013 but with the GTX 1080 Ti it is still a very capable 1440p gaming system running Windows 10 from an SSD. However, it seems my PC is not compatible with Windows 11 which surprised me. Not sure why this is unless the final version will expand support to include older CPUs.

Obviously, I will be upgrading my PC sooner rather than later but the stock shortages means that getting one with an RTX 3080 or RTX 3080 Ti is near impossible hence why I've held off on the upgrade for now. I am currently looking at buying a custom built system once the GPU prices stabilise a bit.
I'm surprised at how restrictive the requirements are given Microsoft want to avoid another Windows XP/7 situation where people stay on one OS for years. As you've said the 4770K is still a very capable CPU and there wasn't much advancement in performance in the years after, I recently gave my hex core i7 3930K to my brother and that system was also still running very well. With these requirements it seems like people are going to be forced to stay on Windows 10.

My fairly new desktop is failing on TPM and it seems I need a module for it which I can't find in stock, I've seen something about Intel/AMD support for TPM in the processor and there is an option for that in the motherboard settings but it's not something I'm familiar with.

Doctor Hades

My ASUS motherboard has a TPM slot but it is a 20-pin one and only supports 1.2 not 2.0 which is required for Windows 11.

I was always planning to build a new PC anyway when the ridiculous stock and pricing situation had settled down so I guess it is not that big of a deal to just stick with Windows 10 for now and just get a new PC with Windows 11 installed. It likely will not officially release until 2022 or even 2023 anyway.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
So !!, got to say i had no idea what the TPM is or was- had to look to find out what it was all about
so vid gives you a good idea what it is and was it does

next010

Distinguished Member
PC world has a list outlining the hardware requirements.

If true then only CPU's from circa 2017 onwards are supported, also DX12 GPU becomes minimum requirement.

TPM 2.0 is required, 1.4 is not supported.

If you have a CPU that supports TPM 2.0 via UEFI I've seen it recommended to disable CSM (compatibility support module) if enabled in UEFI to get TPM working. But if thats not working you might have to get the TPM 2.0 module (of course selling out everywhere).

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Just fired up PC. Enabled firmware TPM on my motherboard and it is now showing as Windows 11 ready (B450 and 5600x)

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Direct Storage sounds interesting though where the CPU is ignored and games can load straight from disk into the GPU. I guess in 4 years time they'll also be games that take advantage of it!
I mentioned this when the new consoles were released that it could come to PC in a future windows and was laughed at

drinkturps

PC world has a list outlining the hardware requirements.

If true then only CPU's from circa 2017 onwards are supported, also DX12 GPU becomes minimum requirement.
I believe that the list that Microsoft have published here is what MS will allow OEMs to release PCs with a Windows 11 ready sticker. So gen 8 Intels is a baseline for that.

It's highly unlikely that older CPUs will not be supported.

ArmitageShanks

Just fired up PC. Enabled firmware TPM on my motherboard and it is now showing as Windows 11 ready (B450 and 5600x)
Just gave the PC health checker a try. Enabled TPM in the BIOS, everything checks out OK for Windows 11. I'd be shocked if it wasn't the case though - I upgraded the mobo and CPU in January to a X570 + 5900X, and more recently the GPU.

drinkturps

The checker has been updated now which is handy. I thought I had this turned on already, back to the BIOS I go.....

1624712559018.png

EDIT: This actually presents another challenge. Secure Boot requires the disk the OS is installed on to be GPT. Mine is currently the old MBR. So before I can do this I will need to convert the disk from MBR to GPT which can be a bit of a mission if you want to keep your data.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
The checker has been updated now which is handy. I thought I had this turned on already, back to the BIOS I go.....

View attachment 1533577

EDIT: This actually presents another challenge. Secure Boot requires the disk the OS is installed on to be GPT. Mine is currently the old MBR. So before I can do this I will need to convert the disk from MBR to GPT which can be a bit of a mission if you want to keep your data.
Remember when we didn't have any of this nonsense 🤣

drinkturps

Remember when we didn't have any of this nonsense 🤣
Honestly what a palava! At this point in time they can stick Windows 11 up their ****

GreyMutton

So I checked today and not compatible. My guess, based on the above posts, would be to switch TPM or whatever on in the motherboard bios. I'll have a look tomorrow as I'd be very surprised, and a little annoyed, if my 9 month old MSI B550m motherboard couldn't support Windows 11....

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I mentioned this when the new consoles were released that it could come to PC in a future windows and was laughed at

Are we expecting that this will enable PS5 1st party load times of just a couple of seconds on a PC?, because until it’s released and the folks smarter than me have analysed it it’s just marketing guff to me which I can’t get excited about.

Everything Goes

Looks like a lot of people even with quite modern PCs being able to run it due to TPM 2.0 or FTPM 2.0 needing to be activated.

Possible work around if you get hold of the ISO.

Just delete the file appraiserres.dll from the sources folder in your ISO. TPM is only a flag that’s checked at installation but Windows doesn’t need it to run normally. It’s just another artificial barrier by MS.

No idea if it's true or works but could be worth a try. I do see a lot of comments on The Verge from people with quite modern PCs that look like they will be unable to run Windows 11.

Last edited:

caz2005

So I checked today and not compatible. My guess, based on the above posts, would be to switch TPM or whatever on in the motherboard bios. I'll have a look tomorrow as I'd be very surprised, and a little annoyed, if my 9 month old MSI B550m motherboard couldn't support Windows 11....
Same case with my MSI x570 Unify

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone