Windows 11 Software to play HD DVD Discs

Lumia

Novice Member
Hey all,

This post is going to be extremely niche, but I've exhausted all the options I believe exist and was hoping someone had a trick left.

Issue: I would like to play my HD DVDs on Windows 11 directly from the discs with full menu interactivity. (I have already ripped the discs but I want to use my drive with menus one more time). While my ask seems simple at the surface, I am concerned that it is no longer possible as I have tried and failed to playback an HD DVD on the following software:

• Arcsoft TotalMedia 3 and 5: No longer viable as it uses a codec that Windows no longer supports. I forced Windows 11 to run the application and it causes a BSOD due to the codec conflict.
  • Cyberlink Power DVD 7.3 – This always required a patch CyberLink.5711_TaRe43_DVD090826-05 that cannot be installed on Windows 11 as it throws an error (and uninstalls Power DVD 7.3 lol) Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 HDDVD Playback Fix for Windows 10
  • Cyberlink Power DVD 8 – This requires version 8.0.1531 and the "powerdvd8ultra_hd-dvd.rar" file both of which are impossible to find on the internet now How to Re-Enable HD DVD Playback in PowerDVD 8
  • Nero 8 Ultra with Blu Ray and HD DVD Plugin – has not run correctly since Windows 7. Even with the plugin installed on Windows 11 it was unable to play HD DVDs (or Blu Rays).
  • WinDVD 9 Plus installs and the program runs in the background, but the application never truly starts regardless of the compatibility mode used.
  • Toshiba HD DVD Player 4.60.03 – Only works on Toshiba hardware

John7

Try MPC-BE

In my experience, this plays anything......

Lumia

Novice Member
Try MPC-BE

In my experience, this plays anything......

It plays the video files embedded 1 by 1 but is unable to open the Menu files. VLC using AnyDVD has the same results.

John7

I just stuck a DVD in my PC and MPC loaded the menu selections fine. I don't have any HD-DVD's to try. Are you refering to Blu Rays?

John7

I have no experience of HD-DVD disks. Maybe rip the disks to an ISO file then you should be able to play that back with menus etc?

Lumia

Novice Member
I have no experience of HD-DVD disks. Maybe rip the disks to an ISO file then you should be able to play that back with menus etc?
Tried that as well it's the uniqueness of the format unfortunately.

The issue really is that it used its own menu system that from my understanding was only ever usable in ~6 playback software's all of which I was unable to get working on Windows 11.

AJohnston

Tried that as well it's the uniqueness of the format unfortunately.

The issue really is that it used its own menu system that from my understanding was only ever usable in ~6 playback software's all of which I was unable to get working on Windows 11.
Have you been able to do this under previous versions of Windows or even Linux ? If so you could run that version and the relevant applications under a virtual machine whilst still using (your presumably) new Windows 11 computer as a, host machine. Try looking for Vmware Player

Lumia

Novice Member
Have you been able to do this under previous versions of Windows or even Linux ? If so you could run that version and the relevant applications under a virtual machine whilst still using (your presumably) new Windows 11 computer as a, host machine. Try looking for Vmware Player
Yea almost all of the software runs under Windows 7 / 8.

Probably time to bite the bullet and go with a VM.

The_Wierd

I still have my HD-DVDs, but a lot of them suffered disc-rot. A couple of years ago I ripped them and converted the ones that would still play to BD-R. These days most of those movies are so old that they are easily and cheaply replaced with the equivalent or better Blu-ray. I’m not aware of anything that was exclusive to HD-DVD only.

Been a while since I tried one, but as far as I know TMT5 still works on Win10 and was always the best player for HDDVD. Any reason why you felt the urge to go to Win 11? Win 10 still has 4 or 5 years support life, so not the end by a long way, and the improvements in Win 11 are minimal.

Lumia

Novice Member
I still have my HD-DVDs, but a lot of them suffered disc-rot. A couple of years ago I ripped them and converted the ones that would still play to BD-R. These days most of those movies are so old that they are easily and cheaply replaced with the equivalent or better Blu-ray. I’m not aware of anything that was exclusive to HD-DVD only.

Been a while since I tried one, but as far as I know TMT5 still works on Win10 and was always the best player for HDDVD. Any reason why you felt the urge to go to Win 11? Win 10 still has 4 or 5 years support life, so not the end by a long way, and the improvements in Win 11 are minimal.
TMT 6 with a Russian codec is the only working solution on 11 but it's up and running! TMT5 stopped working on a recent version of Windows 10 as it's using an unsecure driver that Windows pulled.

lalkanezdes

Novice Member
Hey, I got the same problem right now and can't really figure out how to play back an HD-DVD (with working menu!) on Windows 10.

Could you perhaps post a detailed solution to this? Because, for example, I don't know what you mean by "a Russian codec". I've also tried to install TMT 6 (and earlier versions) on both Windows 7 and 10, but on Win7 it just loads and then crashes a few seconds later, and on Win10 it's impossible to even install.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

KBD

It might be the players, I recently tried a HD-DVD of the film 300 in my portable USB DVD-Player & it couldn't read it.
Ditto when popping it into my Sony X700 UHD blu-ray player.

I was a little surprised, because the X700 can usually read everything, even MP3 on a DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom