Windows 11 nightmare - Randomly crashing on new-build

Toyotaverso

Novice Member
Reaction score
PROBLEMS/SYMPTOMS: Windows 11 randomly crashing just prior to login screen and sometimes on Wake-Up - Shows black screen and no response. The monitor then goes into sleep-mode.

Windows and Hardware Specs

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎12/‎2021
OS build 22000.493
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.493.0

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9GHz Hexa Core AM4 CPU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI mATX Motherboard
Corsair CX650F RGB, 80 PLUS Bronze Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Samsung 980 1 TB PCIe 3.0 (up to 3.500 MB/s) NVMe M.2
Crucial Ballistix RGB BL2K8G32C16U4BL 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM (16GB)
Crucial Ballistix RGB BL2K8G32C16U4BL 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM (16GB)
DEEPCOOL MACUBE 310, White, Mid Tower Chassis w/ Tempered Glass Window
CF120 PLUS 3-in-1 120mm 18 A-R
HP x34 Ultrawide Screen Monitor

Hello everyone,

Thank you for a great forum. This is my first post, so please forgive me if I miss anything out, but I will do my utmost to provide as much info as possible to help you to assist me.

I have build the above spec pc and installed Windows 11 Pro. Additionally, I also kept my old Microsoft keyboard, mouse and 2 hdds (3tb seagate and 500gb crucial ssd).

Most of the time my PC works fine. I never have any issues such as crashes whilst it's in use. However, once every 5-10 reboots, Windows loads up to the point where it's supposed to show the login screen, but instead I'm shown a black screen + monitor eventually goes to sleep mode and I can't do anything other than to manually reset the PC. The other issue is that once every 5-10 times when I put the pc to sleep, it doesn't wake-up. Again I'm faced with a black screen and I can't do anything other than to manually reset the PC.

One other problem I have noticed is that some websites are showing corrupt banners and or video, like this one here:

Image2.jpg

As part of my diagnosis and a process of elimination, I have done the following already:-
  1. Removed all old devices and hard drives.
  2. Changed HDMI/Display cables.
  3. Updated Windows
  4. Updated AMD video card drivers via either MSI website or AMD's website.
  5. Updated MSI BIOS to latest version.

My suspicion is that the problem is with corrupt or incompatible drivers of the integrated video card, but I've already tried factory-resetting and reinstalling the drivers, but this has not helped at all I can't seem to fix it, so I'm hoping an expert can give me any tips.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:
How do the windows logs differ between normal startups and hangs?

Do you have a graphics card from your previous system you could try?

Hi @EndlessWaves - Thanks very much for your help. I'm going to be honest and say that I'm already posting on another forum (Elevenforums.com) where they've already asked these questions and have narrowed the issue down to the graphics drivers being corrupt.

I would be very grateful if you could give me any further assistance on this.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it will run on a single piece of RAM, I'd try that, to single each of them out as not faulty.

If you get the same results with each piece, it's probably not the RAM.
If you only have an issue with one, then you've found it.

If it will run on a single piece of RAM, I'd try that, to single each of them out as not faulty.

If you get the same results with each piece, it's probably not the RAM.
If you only have an issue with one, then you've found it.
Thank KBD. These ram sticks are brand new, so surely they can't be the issue? Also the elevenforum members have already narrowed the issue down to the graphics drivers, so surely we should be looking at that?

I don't know how RAM is now, but in the old days it was relatively volatile, easily ruined by static electricity.

You've not said what Graphics card you have but having been a recent Windows11 convert I think I have an idea what is happening.

I think your getting a Windows11 boot screen error but for some reason its not being displayed on screen when this happens so your none the wiser. The default action when this happens is for you to have to manually power cycle, which is why you have to restart the system, but your no closer to finding out what the issue was with no on-screen messages. As to why this error it's not being displayed I can't say, but you could certainly look in the event log to verify this.

Also what you can do to see if this is the problem, is go to 'Advanced System Settings' then check the 'Automatically restart' after 'system failure' option. That way if it is a system boot error you PC will start after the time period set at the top of said page.

I don't think there is a problem with your system. A couple months back I did a new Windows11 install and although all went perfectly, I started getting boot error screen messages every half-a-dozen starts just like you... I can't remember the specific error but it related to system drive errors, or misreads, or something. At any rate, I know there is nothing wrong with this PC as it previously ran Windows10 rock solid, and this only started with the new Win11 install. I think it is a Win11 bug, because just over a week ago also I upgraded my main PC to Win11, and guess what! Exactly the same boot error every 6-10 boots, and my main PC is like granite it it's stability, so I know its a Win11 issue.

Finally I also have wake up from sleep problems with both Win11 PC's, they seem to power up but won't recognise peripheral devices so stay unresponsive to keyb and mouse input and display nothing on screen. At any rate I had reboot them to get them working after sleep, so I've disabled sleep since it doesn't work properly. ( I say sleep but I actually mean Hibernation)

Windows11 is pretty solid and aside from these issues is great, but it is NOT bug free.

You've not said what Graphics card you have
“AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9GHz Hexa Core AM4 CPU”

Integrated graphics I think. The OP mentioned an integrated graphics “card” but I don’t think they meant “card”.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom