Windows 11 help

SnakePlissken006

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 but it says I don't have secure boot and I'm unable to upgrade. I have it enabled in my bios but I checked system information and its set to legacy mode. I also tried to change it in system reset but it won't come up with the option to change it. Does anyone know how I can sort it? My specs are below if that helps, thanks.

Samsung m70 m.2
Rog strix B450-F gaming motherboard
Ryzen 5 5600x processor
Inno3d 3080ti gpu

@LV426 has had success getting 11 onto several non compatible devices. The secure boot options may be related to this

Post in thread 'Changing CPU for Windows 11 compatible one'
Changing CPU for Windows 11 compatible one

but his post above that one is a good guide to installing it on a non compatible machine too.

Hi,
I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 but it says I don't have secure boot and I'm unable to upgrade. I have it enabled in my bios but I checked system information and its set to legacy mode. I also tried to change it in system reset but it won't come up with the option to change it. Does anyone know how I can sort it? My specs are below if that helps, thanks.

Samsung m70 m.2
Rog strix B450-F gaming motherboard
Ryzen 5 5600x processor
Inno3d 3080ti gpu

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version? There is a recent BIOS version that should support Win 11 better.

Your hardware should support Win11.

It's ok I managed to use command prompt on startup to change settings now got it installed, thanks for the replys.
I am having a similar issue, would you mind explaining what you did? I have an Asus MB, on latest BIOS, have enabled secure boot (followed guides online) but W11 setup still not letting me get further as it says I need to enable secure boot

I am having a similar issue, would you mind explaining what you did? I have an Asus MB, on latest BIOS, have enabled secure boot (followed guides online) but W11 setup still not letting me get further as it says I need to enable secure boot
I honestly can't remember now haha. I think I followed this link, hope it helps.

I ended up reinstalling 10, updating and running the 11 checker and got all green lights without changing anything!

For anyone else reading this I solved a version of this problem yesterday. So I'm going to document it for posterity:
You have been warned - this is not for beginners. All at your own risk.
Take backups first etc. I would also have a 2nd device handy for googling.

I have a home-built machine on Win10 and it was saying not compatible with Win 11 because it was not set up for secure boot and UEFI.
The root issue was that the main drive was set up for MBR, Master Boot Record, not GPT. So even though I followed the instructions to change the BIOS to Secure Boot, it would not start. You have to have to change the drive to GPT and then change the BIOS over.

I absolutely did not want to rebuild from scratch so I found out how to do it.

Essentially you have to build a bootable USB drive up with something called Windows PE, boot off it and run a few commands to convert the C: drive. Then change the BIOS over to secure boot.

Ready?

This one is the main instructions, with video overview

But first install Windows ADK and extensions then build a USB Windows PE drive

Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode

More links I found along the way

Change a Master Boot Record (MBR) into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk

Windows 11 and Secure Boot

You will also need to know how to change your BIOS. Which is machine-specific.

I hope this helps someone

Using WinPE to change the HDD to MBR wasn't necessary in the process I followed twice. It was all done directly on the machine itself with various steps via a command prompt (accessed in a specific way) or in the BIOS.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom