Windows 10

Since the update, we can't print over the family network :facepalm:

Wouldn't be so bad except the printer is currently attached to my teenage daughter's computer :suicide:

Printers is one thing I try to exclude from the updates if I can. Not sure it would muck up network printing but any HP update in the Windows Update list and I uninstall it and hide it using that wushowhide.exe I mentioned before. Was a big HP update in the list I could see after the anniversary update and I had just updated the HP official software. I also hide any LAN type updates from WU and there was one of those as well - that I have found tends to muck up networking. All those driver things I try to use only from the maker. Not always possible and Intel seem to supply something decent via WU but it does seem to prevent various glitches.

MY computer takes longer too boot up than it did before the anniverdary update. I get a black screen with nothing on it other than the mouse pointer. It can last for minutes. Before the update I got the loading screen with rotating circles and was about 20 seconds max.

Get an ssd. My desktop boots in seconds.

I'm getting fed up with the constant Windows updates ever since the anniversary update was installed. I'm 90% sure I will buy an Apple laptop before the end of the year and ditch the Windows 10 one. I will keep this W10 games PC but only for playing games. I'm fed up with Windows to be honest.

I'm 90% sure I will buy an Apple laptop
Just don't expect the mythical world of Apple where everything just works & nothing goes wrong. You'll also need to keep the W10 handy to Google everything you want to do on the Mac because Apple do everything differently - apparently just because they can. I have to use a Mac in work occasionally & it & Apple's servers are every bit as much a PITA as MS.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'll still have windows on my work computers (I work from home) so I should be OK :)

I'm getting fed up with the constant Windows updates ever since the anniversary update was installed. I'm 90% sure I will buy an Apple laptop before the end of the year and ditch the Windows 10 one. I will keep this W10 games PC but only for playing games. I'm fed up with Windows to be honest.

I,m running both Mac and PC
Its MacOS Sierra update thats giving me all the heartache at the moment...constantly freezing (15-20 minutes on spinning color wheel ) and takes an age to do anything, and now wont connect to any of my servers.
Nightmare...
Apple are not immune to this faulty update business. In fact some issues are remarkably similar to w10 update issues...black screens, corrupted files, non responsive desktop navigation etc.

Troubleshooting macOS Sierra Problems

Same "solutions" as Windows i.e. Reboot, re-install, or ultimately, if all else fails, go back to el capitan...

Last edited:
Get an ssd. My desktop boots in seconds.

Same here - I touch the mouse and the computer is ready to go before I've finished sitting down :) In fact the rate-determining-step is now the monitor picture coming on.

Same here too. I put a 1TB SSD in my games PC a year ago and it made a massive difference to booting and loading Outlook/Word etc.

It's installing this huge update at the moment on my windows 10 laptop, presume it's the one giving everyone trouble. Hate these updates.

Also went with SSD on the home PC and laptop and love the boot to use times.

Apple also updates its software and also forces them on you.

Yes but I doubt they do it twice in a day like I've had recently.
If there was a weakness identified or a fault found I'd rather it was fixed as soon as possible.

I have an Acer laptop which I loaded Windows 10 (from Windows 7) into about 7 months ago. Not had any problems with the updates at all.

This is a funny old business where some have continual problems with updates but others have none.

If there was a weakness identified or a fault found I'd rather it was fixed as soon as possible.

They probably caused that weakness or fault themselves with the anniversary update.

Apple also updates its software and also forces them on you.

They're less aggressive about forcing updates on users on the computer side of things (for iOS it's a bit different). It's very easy to turn off automatic updates and you'll never have your computer rebooted automatically ("I lost some important information when Windows Update restarted my computer in order to install updates."). Mac OS Sierra Options:

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 13.15.19.png

After hours I was never able to update Windows 7 fully. Windows update on Windows 10 is also failing for me:

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 13.17.04.png

Ed Bott suggests Windows updates may take 24 hours to install on Windows 7 (and this is a problem that goes back to at least Windows XP: link, although I never encountered that difficulty on that particular OS myself). The maximum time I've ever had to wait to install a Mac update was less than 10 minutes, usually closer to 5. Windows Update is horrendously inefficient with disk thrashing, high CPU usage and its reporting is simply untrue (it reports that it's downloading an update when it plainly isn't, as network monitoring tools confirm).

No doubt there are problems with both operating systems, and I'm not one who thinks any particular operating system is best constructed or best suited to anyone. I'm pretty agnostic and non-committal with regard to these things. But it is simply inexcusable to force updates on users and have an updating mechanism doesn't even work, as in Windows 10. This is core functionality. It should work. I never had a problem like this on any non-Windows operating system and I've used absolutely loads of different ones over several decades.

This is the 29/9/2016 update that failed to install:

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 13.41.06.png

As you can see, the Windows module installer is registering almost 90% CPU usage.

This is after running the Windows Update Troubleshooter:

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 18.30.31.png

It suggests it has found a problem and fixed it. Despite that, the same failure when trying again to install the update.

I reinstalled Windows from scratch and in its pristine unaltered state tried again to install the update and that didn't work.

So I've tried, sfc /scannnow, the DISM.EXE approach, Windows Update Troubleshooter, and a complete reinstall of the OS.

This is really desperate. I need Windows 10 to play Geometry Wars ;)

What now?

Cheers.

This is a funny old business where some have continual problems with updates but others have none.
It could be hardware dependent as there are near infinite possible combinations of PC hardware and many different generations of equipment all trying to run on the same system. Although I think this is the first time we've upgraded operating systems and found our scanner still works :rolleyes: Yeah Microsoft :smashin:

It could be hardware dependent as there are near infinite possible combinations of PC hardware and many different generations of equipment all trying to run on the same system. Although I think this is the first time we've upgraded operating systems and found our scanner still works :rolleyes: Yeah Microsoft :smashin:

They need it for their snooping ops ;)

Back in the old days it used to be the case that the OS which came with the computer pretty much stayed the same, and any updates were to correct bugs, fix issues, etc. But rarely to add functionality.

That has gradually changed. I think that the smart phone was when people started to expect updates which regularly gave them improved functionality. I see in the TV forums now, people are disappointed if their one or two year old TV doesn't get feature-adding updates, whereas most TV manufacturers would hope they've squeezed the bugs out after about a year and can move on. Of course it's all getting blurred now that smart TVs have apps...

But the downside is that every time you make big changes to functionality you bring in a whole load of new bugs, rather than kill bugs off. It doesn't help that error messages have been dumbed down over time, which means that instead of accurately describing what has gone wrong in technical terms, they use some vague platitude like "Oops" which is no help whatsoever.

or "It's taking longer than expected". What help is that if they don't tell you how long they were expecting it to take :facepalm:

They're less aggressive about forcing updates on users on the computer side of things (for iOS it's a bit different).
Agreed. Very aggressive if you have an iPhone.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom