Question Windows 10 / Xbox Streaming using BT Home Hub

Gromitboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This is an issue that has been driving me a little crazy to say the least. The shiniest new feature of the Xbox One as far as I'm concerned is the ability to stream to a Windows 10 machine so that you can play in other rooms. As soon as my Xbox updated I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 to test it out, but I was immediately faced with the issue that the PC can't see the xbox on my home network (even if I enter the IP address manually). I have a standard BT Home Hub 5, so I was wondering if it's some kind of firewall issue. Has anybody come across this?

I've ensured that both the PC and the xbox are on the same wireless frequency and I've even given the xbox it's own IP address just to be sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance.

Mine is the same. (Using HH5) Now cannot see it in the Xbox or Xbox beta app. It's something to do with the Windows 10 Pro update so I'll just wait for a update to W10 / the Xbox app.

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. It's definitely not this as my Smart Setup has been turned off since day one. I appreciate your help though.
Ah right worth a shot.
Have you tried turning all the firewalls off on the laptop and router.
Also try pinging the IP of the Xbox and laptop see what you get.
Like I said strange though with my laptop it was just sort of plug and play maybe it's because its not a wired connection ?

Ah right worth a shot.
Have you tried turning all the firewalls off on the laptop and router.
Also try pinging the IP of the Xbox and laptop see what you get.
Like I said strange though with my laptop it was just sort of plug and play maybe it's because its not a wired connection ?

Hey Steve, I think you're on the right lines. If I ping it, it feeds back just fine...I can even see it on the PC's network...but it's just not showing up in the xbox app (and the IP fails in the app). I'm guessing it's a port issue, but I've set port forwarding on the hub and that still doesn't seem to work. I tried turning off the hub's firewall but BT have locked the disable option so you can't turn it off entirely.

Hey Steve, I think you're on the right lines. If I ping it, it feeds back just fine...I can even see it on the PC's network...but it's just not showing up in the xbox app (and the IP fails in the app). I'm guessing it's a port issue, but I've set port forwarding on the hub and that still doesn't seem to work. I tried turning off the hub's firewall but BT have locked the disable option so you can't turn it off entirely.
Have you tried connecting to the Xbox one with the smart glass app ?
Just wondering if anything connecting to it.
You could try changing the workgroup name on your PC and reboot and then put it back to workgroup and then reboot again some times that can help network issues.

Hey Steve

I did wonder about workgroups - I haven't tried that yet. Not entirely sure how I go about it if I'm honest, so I'll have a google!

RE Smartglass - it has exactly the same issues. Can't see the xbox and can't access with the IP. Which is why I thought it was router related.

Thanks again!

I think with smart glass not working also I think we can assume the issue is with the router or Xbox.
What I suggest is get hold of a old router and turn your BT hub off and connect your Xbox and laptop to this other router and try the streaming then.
I'm not sure whether the Xbox requires Internet to stream on the network I can't see why it would.
Have you done the network test on the Xbox see what that shows ,when you go on games do you get open ports connection ...it normally tells you in the menus on games.

I don't have this particular issue but have you checked the ports on the routers firewall?

I have a HomeHub 5 and when I got my Xbox One I went into the routers settings and added Xbox Live to the applications list and tied that to the Xbox One (also set the Xbox to a fixed IP).

But I recently checked the list of ports and it seems some more are needed.

Xbox One Network Ports | Xbox Live Network Ports

I created a custom application and attached that to the Xbox One in the firewall settings.

Maybe the connection between Smart Glass/Windows 10 and the Xbox One uses one of the new ports that the 360 didn't use.

I don't have this particular issue but have you checked the ports on the routers firewall?

I have a HomeHub 5 and when I got my Xbox One I went into the routers settings and added Xbox Live to the applications list and tied that to the Xbox One (also set the Xbox to a fixed IP).

But I recently checked the list of ports and it seems some more are needed.

Xbox One Network Ports | Xbox Live Network Ports

I created a custom application and attached that to the Xbox One in the firewall settings.

Maybe the connection between Smart Glass/Windows 10 and the Xbox One uses one of the new ports that the 360 didn't use.

If UPnP worked properly on any of BT's routers, we wouldn't have to do that. For me, it was working previously without any port forwarding involved so it's a app or Windows issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom