Windows 10 - Verdict?

MahaRaja

Ex Member
Reaction score
Are you pleased with your install and all your drivers have been found and smooth sailing?

I'll await for feedback before I jump in to upgrade my laptop from 8.1.

Upgraded from Windows 7. Even though I have very fast Virgin Broadband the whole process took almost 2 hours with a number of re-starts. Very happy with the result. Have not found any drivers or programs which do not work. Some problems finding my way around the system but I guess it's all there. Like the clean layout and the fact that my computer has speeded up noticeably.

Now updated 4 machines and install went fine on all apart from needing to download the AMD GPU driver for a 6450 in a G8 Microserver.

Initial impressions are much better than 8/8.1 but obviously frustrations with learning curve with any new OS.

Updated 2 direct via upgrade on machines and other two using the 10GB+ 32/64bit installer which updated a Domain connected PC without issue (just another 50 work computers to do now !! )

EDIT

Also the Realtek on my gaming rig has stopped doing 5.1 audio so just download the ASUS Realtek Windows 10 beta driver to see if it fixes.

I can't install it. It says my Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT/GTO isn't compatible with Windows 10. I have the latest driver for it. It looks like it is too old : (

Last edited:
I can't install it. It says my Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT/GTO isn't compatible with Windows 10. I have the latest driver for it. Any idea how I can fix this? (Without buying a new graphics card)

I had an issue with my Nvidia last night. If you troubleshoot compatibility on the install file then apply the fix it should work for you :)

I found the aggressive defaults to be poor. Automatically connecting to wireless networks (even 'recommended' ones) is nothing but a potential security issue for a desktop that never moves. It automatically installed a realtek driver/software that merged the two sound outputs (onboard speaker & front/rear analogue outputs) into one that used a channel from each. Windows 7 offered the same driver in windows update but didn't install it by default, windows 10 only offers the choice between not checking for driver update at all or installing them automatically.

A couple of things don't seem to be working correctly. The uninstall button for the store application and a couple of others is greyed out, I have a flash settings icon in my control panel despite it not being installed and several of the help options direct me to a generic bing search.

The settings are even more of a mess than before. They've added yet another layer on top of the old control panel (itself still using 2000/XP dialogues at times). They really need consolidating into one interface.

The extra step needed to shut down is annoying.

About the only definite improvement I've noticed so far is that it's easier to navigate the start menu as it's got initial letter headings but given it takes four clicks to launch an app (start>all apps>open folder>start app) I'll probably end up creating loads of shortcuts again.

Last edited:
I had an issue with my Nvidia last night. If you troubleshoot compatibility on the install file then apply the fix it should work for you :)

I checked on the Nvidia forums and apparently the card is too old now [emoji22]

I can't install without a compatible card.

I found the install surprisingly slow, and it's not like my computer is decrepit (2013 Mac Pro, so plenty of oomph). Driver-wise, my Mac Pro is using some crummy basic video driver, which means that playing World of Tanks is a no-no until Apple pull their finger out and release some drivers.

I had a bit of trouble getting the install to start from that "reserve your free copy of Windows 10 here" program in the task bar in my previous 8.1 install, so I ended up mounting the ISO and triggering the install from there.

I actually quite liked Windows 8, even the start screen, so I'm not really that bothered about the Start Menu coming back. The first thing I did was get rid of all those tiles, and then disable all the new bits in Explorer like the One Drive and Quick Access areas.

The user interface, in usual Microsoft style, is all over the place. The Control Panel and settings applications are a good case in point. You now access Windows Update from the settings program, but there are still other sets of preferences in the old Control Panel. I wish they'd make up their mind.

The defaults when you first start it up are annoying - everything seems to be turned on. It doesn't seem good from a privacy point of view. People should have to opt in to sharing information with Microsoft (or Apple, or Google, or whoever), not opt out.

Once Apple's latest OS is released, I'll be wiping my entire machine and doing clean installs of both. This is the first time I've ever done an in-place upgrade of Windows and I feel dirty.

Install went smoothly in about 30 minuets.
I like it, it looks nice, it has a clean look to it. Loading time i dont see much difference between 7 and 10. I've found copy and deleting to be much faster. It's stable and responsive and all my games and 3rd party modding tools work fine, so does the emulators.

Yeh like endless waves i'm a bit disapointed that there's an extra step to logging out, for me it show's a lack of ability to focus clearly on maximising the operational elegance of 10.

AS an example on start up there's a picture covering the log in screen, i think it's called the hole, you press a button and the thing scrolls away so you can input your password. I really don't see the practical reason to add a button press here, it strikes me as fanciful and eccentric.

There is only one volume control for the whole system, i find that annoying, altering the volume of different devices is a pretty important thing for using my machine more comfortably, again it strikes me as impractical and eccentric to do this, various sound problems arise with various games and apps at times. so lose a big point there MS.

I hoped Ms would consolidate interfaces but as EW states there's more navigating to be done.
For instance they have replaced My Computer with This PC, O.K not a big deal but it's not on the drop down menu from taskbar, so i have to go elsewhere then up , when i get there - folders are at the top and the disc icons are below them, this may seem petty but it's a sign of overall lack of clarity of organisational logic.

Another gripe and something that really get's to me is why the **** can't MS have made it an objective to show folder address's more clearly, now theyre half way across the window,
why not be decisive and put them at the bottom of each window in bold, having them wrap if you narrow the width of the folder. I often have folders with the same name on different disks, i fit them to the window and then have maximize and minimize to check which is which.
This could have been obvious. I dont want to have to rely on the left folder view panel as it becomes useless at a certain folder width.

I would have liked it if WMP had been glossed up a bit, i'm not sure what the point of Music is, it's bland, bare and look's hurried.

It is however beautiful compared to Windows 7, and although i make the above gripes it feels more robust than 7 and easier to handle. I'm pleased with it, it is definitely pleasant on the eyes. I would say a joy to use compared to 7.

What i think would have been nicer and more efficient, easier to navigate would have been
a system like chrome bookmarks going across the top of the screen, with drop down menus ( organised in columns ) for disks and folders, apps files, ...... and couldnt some of the stuff
that sits at the top of folders be moved to right click to unclutter the view.

Would it have been possible to have a small transparent menu follow the mouse cursor
through which you could navigate back or up a folder level ?

A request to Ms could you sort out the problem of external drives being seen as synch devices by WMP, i've looked and looked and can't find a way to stop WMP from having them in the synch window.

Last edited:
liking it so far on the whole, not to sure about the automatic update and restart, and having the join network is unessessary, could that be open to abbuse?? another problem for me is the Synaptics touchpad driver is not fully compatible, scrolling works ok till you restart/reboot and it looses the setting and need to be reset.

Curly

To me it is ok, but nothing special.

I only use Windows at home as a way to get to my programs, and they have not changed so it makes very little difference to me. But must say I much prefer the Aero look of Windows 7 compared to the flat white look of Windows 10.
Only my laptop upgraded so far, and that has hardly any programs on it as it is mainly used as a test machine or for surfing the web. My main PC will wait a while to see how it goes, far too much on there to risk problems.

However at work my job is looking after 3,000+ PC's & laptops so when we go to Win10 I will be working directly with Windows. I'm sure I will find many different things, some I will like and some I wont. But so far work only have a few Windows 10 licenses to play with (Enterprise licenses don't get an automatic upgrade) and I have far too many programs running on my work PC to risk upgrading that. So a few test PC's will get the upgrade and we will see how it goes.

Mark.

After a day I'm a bit apprehensive about the amount of information it gathers. I signed up to a Microsoft Account which seems to be essential to make some aspects work. Having set up the account and password it asked me FOR ONE FINAL TIME what my old password was. I logged on to the help line to query this and was told to put in my previous sign-in password to turn Windows on. I did this and the Account registration was activated. This appears to mean that MS apparently know the password you use to access Windows on your machine!

I've been busy going through the PRIVACY pages and switching off some of the obvious information gathering operations. I also managed to put back my Virgin Media starter Page and also got rid, I hope, of BING (Microsoft) searches and resorted to my usual GOOGLE search.

Any one had any issue with Asus 8.1 window Z77 drivers on win10 ? They seem to be slow with them, funny as they have them for the newer board's ! No surprise but creative are also slow to the ball & not looking forward to the roll out of buggyness....

Found out that the OneDrive sync functionality has been changed for the worse. In 8.1 you could mark any file in the OneDrive folders to be available either offline (local copy) or online (cloud copy). Great if you have a shed load of video files you don't wan't cluttering up your HDD. In 10 you do not have this option. Either you sync folders or you don't, period. :suicide:

Could anyone confirm what features don't work if you don't use a Microsoft Account?

I always refuse that option as it saves logging in and with Windows 8.1 I don't miss anything that needs a MS account.

I think you have to have one for the Store plus for Cortona voice stuff and for the OneDrive Cloud files

Could anyone confirm what features don't work if you don't use a Microsoft Account?

I always refuse that option as it saves logging in and with Windows 8.1 I don't miss anything that needs a MS account.
Parental Control also now requires each child logon to have Microsoft account.

I think you have to have one for the Store plus for Cortona voice stuff and for the OneDrive Cloud files

Parental Control also now requires each child logon to have Microsoft account.

Thanks, so no reason to have a MS account then for me.

Found out that the OneDrive sync functionality has been changed for the worse. In 8.1 you could mark any file in the OneDrive folders to be available either offline (local copy) or online (cloud copy). Great if you have a shed load of video files you don't wan't cluttering up your HDD. In 10 you do not have this option. Either you sync folders or you don't, period. :suicide:
This might be down to complaints from some who thought that if working on a file on one drive it will still be possible to work on it when travelling on a train later. I think changes were made to make it easier.

I've put it on my HP laptop which came with 8, even after 8.1 it ran like a snail so thought 10 would improve it. Took 2 hours but hasn't made much difference. Was annoyed Edge lost my tabs and favs, no big deal, but annoyed at the privacy and onedrive which I used for certain bits. For the time being I'm not putting it on my older 8.1 laptop or my gaming rig with 7. Although to me it's not that different, certain bits seem a change for the worse.

This might be down to complaints from some who thought that if working on a file on one drive it will still be possible to work on it when travelling on a train later. I think changes were made to make it easier.

If people are that dumb or thick that they can't figure out what they've set up to sync or not, they shouldn't be allowed to have a PC! It's hardly rocket science is? Each folder and file had a unique icon to let you know whether it was sync'd or not.

Probably going to restore back to 8.1. Can't be doing with one step forward and three back!

If people are that dumb or thick that they can't figure out what they've set up to sync or not, they shouldn't be allowed to have a PC!
Usually they get a Mac. GD&R.

One of my machines is a Sony Vaio laptop and which has 'Vaio Care' installed. Perhaps I was incorrect in completely ignoring this feature with regard to the W10 upgrade? I don't know.

Anyhow, things seemd to go smoothly for a while. And then...............problems.

I needed to actually use Chrome with its plug-ins. I had previously imported its Favorites into Edge. There were a lot and they of course didn't include any plug-ins at all. Neither was there any History available. I use all of these a lot. I had expected to have to do this but it does all present a massive task to you. They import alphabetically which is not how I have them arranged! Aaargh! Only to be expected, I suppose.

Anyhow, after only around 30 minute's use on Windows 10, a Chrome browser with about 6 to 8 tabs just 'froze' and stopped working completely. Clicking on any tab just closed that tab completely instead of going to its web site. What the hell was wrong here? It was as though every tab acted as though the whole tab was an 'X' and the tab window just closed on clicking on the tab.

I couldn't get to anywhere! So, being straight from the mains and with no battery, I just had to resort to pulling the laptop's plug out. Grrrrrrrrr!

I've just had to 'forget Windows 10' and go back to a Windows 7 Restore point. I won't now bother upgrading the PC and will now stay on W7.

How long this situation will last for me is anyone's guess. I am quite disappointed.

Also....

Anyone else believe that there are a lot of Chrome users out there and feel that Microsoft and Edge are fighting a war with Google and Chrome? Consequently, what users get is 'not a lot of help for Chrome'. Chrome help from Microsoft is impossibly hard to find (and even appreciate the need for). Google's Chrome experts aren't going to help you sort Microsoft Edge problems out either, are they? Edge is NOT Chrome. Chrome has been very fettled up and is very experienced. You can't easily stop using Chrome and start using Edge just because you are now on Windows 10.

Anyhow, after only around 30 minute's use on Windows 10, a Chrome browser with about 6 to 8 tabs just 'froze' and stopped working completely. Clicking on any tab just closed that tab completely instead of going to its web site. What the hell was wrong here? It was as though every tab acted as though the whole tab was an 'X' and the tab window just closed on clicking on the tab.
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del. Bring up task manager and if necessary kill it with that. Usually just Ctrl-alt-Del will give control back to Windows.
I couldn't get to anywhere! So, being straight from the mains and with no battery, I just had to resort to pulling the laptop's plug out. Grrrrrrrrr!
With any PC press and hold the power button for five seconds. That will kill the PC without having to unplug. It's just as drastic but at least you won't have to get up.
Anyone else believe that there are a lot of Chrome users out there and feel that Microsoft and Edge are fighting a war with Google and Chrome? Consequently, what users get is 'not a lot of help for Chrome'. Chrome help from Microsoft is impossibly hard to find (and even appreciate the need for). Google's Chrome experts aren't going to help you sort Microsoft Edge problems out either, are they? Edge is NOT Chrome. Chrome has been very fettled up and is very experienced. You can't easily stop using Chrome and start using Edge just because you are now on Windows 10.
No not surprisingly Microsoft would prefer you to use their own browser and can't really help with other companies stuff. You can import your favourites from Chrome. Given that Windows 10 hasn't been out officially for a week yet there will be problems and both sides will blame each other for them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom