Windows 10 using loads of memory

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Reaction score
My Win10 has been fine for the most part, up until today when I get a message saying I am low on memory. Strange as I have 8GB.

Looking in the task manager and find Windows Installer is using most of my memory.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 107
It might be trying to update, or it was trying to up date but failed and got stuck, I'm assuming you have tried a restart.

Yeah, it eventually dropped to 50% and another restart and it's back to the usual 28% level.

There is a bug with certain network drivers where as windows uses 100% memory constantly. There is a simple fix as I experienced it myself

It's still doing it today. Once the PC has booted, Windows Installer uses a ton of memory, then it drops off. Now the system is using 58% of the memory and all I have open is Chrome. According to task manager the 'System' task is using 2.6GB of memory on its own.

I'm getting the same with 8GB of RAM. Was thinking about just buying 16GB rather than trying to figure out what's up lol.

It's still doing it today. Once the PC has booted, Windows Installer uses a ton of memory, then it drops off. Now the system is using 58% of the memory and all I have open is Chrome. According to task manager the 'System' task is using 2.6GB of memory on its own.

Have you tried running Process Explorer to get a better breakdown of each process.

Here's a screenshot from the process explorer if that is any help to anyone.
It's back to around 92% RAM usage right now.

Attachments

• Process.jpg
    Process.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 68
Run HiJack This and upload the log file. The System process using lots of memory is how Windows 10 tries to avoid using the page file. It'll compress the pages and store them in the System process where it's quicker to access them compared with secondary storage (an SSD/HDD).

Run HiJack This and upload the log file. The System process using lots of memory is how Windows 10 tries to avoid using the page file. It'll compress the pages and store them in the System process where it's quicker to access them compared with secondary storage (an SSD/HDD).

Thanks, I'll do that tonight and upload here. Cheers.

As mentioned on Steam chat, the HJT log looks normal. The only thing I'd try from that and from seeing what's in start-up is to disable Freemake's updater and see if that makes any difference.

Do you run a media streamer from your PC as well? i.e. something like Plex.

Thanks to Ash who helped me last night with this issue and another issue I had with a laptop. Much appreciated.

The memory issue hasn't reappeared tonight which is good. I stopped Origin loading with Windows and removed a Freemake video convertor program I didn't use anymore. Perhaps coincidence but so far the problem has not re-occurred.

Do you have a killer network card? (newest gigabyte boards use them I believe)
Or an older bigfoot one?
If so try this as this was the issue I had and the following resolved it
Memory leak in Windows 8.1 with Killer E2200 and Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring

Thanks, but no I don't have one of those.

Do you run a media streamer from your PC as well? i.e. something like Plex.

Nope, nothing like that.

Thanks to Ash who helped me last night with this issue and another issue I had with a laptop. Much appreciated.

The memory issue hasn't reappeared tonight which is good. I stopped Origin loading with Windows and removed a Freemake video convertor program I didn't use anymore. Perhaps coincidence but so far the problem has not re-occurred.

Thanks, but no I don't have one of those.

Nope, nothing like that.
No problem at all, I'm glad to hear it, let's hope it stays that way.

Do you have a killer network card? (newest gigabyte boards use them I believe)
Or an older bigfoot one?
If so try this as this was the issue I had and the following resolved it
Memory leak in Windows 8.1 with Killer E2200 and Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring

They're atrocious things

This has decided to return in the last week.
It's driving me mad now. I've searched the net and tried loads of things but nothing seems to work.

Also Windows Update seems to be stuck. It has been on 50% downloaded for the last few days and because the Windows 10 Windows Update has been turned into some trimmed down piece of crap, I can't force it to download or force it to install the updates.

My ultrabook was having similar issues with Windows 10 in that after a while it's memory usage would sky rocket but would sort itself out after a reboot. I believe it's to do with a memory leak that has been fixed in the latest updates.

You need to try and get the cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1511 installed. If you are having issues with the regular update procedures you should be able to grab it from the link below:

Microsoft Update Catalog

You'll have to open the link in Internet Explorer, it'll have three files in there, one for server 2016 and then a version for Windows 10 32bit and x64, select the right platform and install it manually. Hopefully that should fix your issues.

It does look to be Windows Update related. I was helping Greg again earlier, remoted into his PC and had a look at what Windows Update was doing. Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter it reckons it found something and fixed it where it then looked as though it might continue with updates as it seemed to be stuck. Greg is keeping an eye on it otherwise will install the problem update manually.

Thanks again for the help mate.

I manually downloaded and installed that update that kept failing and once that had done Windows Update came back to life and gradually installed all the other updates including the new build.

All seemed fine then the high memory usage reappeared but only for a short while. Fingers crossed it has done what it needed to do now. Windows Update says it is now up to date.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom